Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

rocky-balboa-motivational-quotes-for-entrepreneurs-1024x685.jpg

:llorishuh:
that Ricky Bilbao?

They just always have done. I'm sure there's something nationalistic about it. I think there's another basque club that does it too but I can't remember which

Sociedad is a basque club and they used to go under that rule in the past.

But I believe Bilbao are the only club that follow it to this day. Which in modern day is commendable.

Sociedad is a basque club and they used to go under that rule in the past.

But I believe Bilbao are the only club that follow it to this day. Which in modern day is commendable.
Commendable? It’s a bit weird and discriminatory. If the club was more open it would probably bring more success, which would be better for the club, the city and the local economy.

Commendable? It’s a bit weird and discriminatory. If the club was more open it would probably bring more success, which would be better for the club, the city and the local economy.
Athletic is a fantastic football club, long story but I have friends over there and usually get over for a game or two per season.

Sure, they could throw away their traditions and club identity but the fans don't want that. They have voted before on scrapping the basque heritage rule and each time the vast majority of fans have voted for the rule to remain.

There is nothing ' weird or discrimnationary' about valuing your region and identity. One of their forwards, Williams, is idolised by the fans, his parents are from Africa but he's a basque, his skin colour is irrelevant, how refreshing!

Athletic fans are passionate about their club and on the whole a friendly and welcoming bunch. I like and understand what the club means to them .

Name me one supporter who said Jol was a failure? Or who said Redknapp should have challenged for the major honours with that team? I really detest Spurs fans who make up fictional scenarios, who put an individual’s interest ( who only became involved with us in 2014) above the club (and who still endlessly defending a manager that is no longer here).

Lets focus on reality:

Only top six club not to win a trophy during his tenure despite accumulating more points in the league over that period other than City

Sacked from this club with the club 14th in the league with a team in complete free fall.

No legacy structure in place with a complete squad rebuild required last year.

Courted other clubs whilst here and talked about leaving on the eve of a cup final.

No you’re absolutely right he was undoubtedly a total success for the club.
I think redknapp should have challenged for major honours with that team

I actually thought that team could have challenged for the title . I thought the football redknapp had us playing was some of the best I’d seen at the lane but I believe it should have come much closer to first than fourth
The team wasn't mentally strong enough imo. That Balotelli stamp in the head vs City could have changed things had we won that game.

Agree that the football was brilliant though.

Athletic is a fantastic football club, long story but I have friends over there and usually get over for a game or two per season.

Sure, they could throw away their traditions and club identity but the fans don't want that. They have voted before on scrapping the basque heritage rule and each time the vast majority of fans have voted for the rule to remain.

There is nothing ' weird or discrimnationary' about valuing your region and identity. One of their forwards, Williams, is idolised by the fans, his parents are from Africa but he's a basque, his skin colour is irrelevant, how refreshing!

Athletic fans are passionate about their club and on the whole a friendly and welcoming bunch. I like and understand what the club means to them .
How is Basque heritage defined for them? Barca - who I don’t like BTW - have retained a very strong Catalan identity but are totally open to players and staff from all over the world, arguably to the success of the club, city and region (economic knock on effects). I just think that, if you’re proud of your region, open it up and share with the world.

How is Basque heritage defined for them? Barca - who I don’t like BTW - have retained a very strong Catalan identity but are totally open to players and staff from all over the world, arguably to the success of the club, city and region (economic knock on effects). I just think that, if you’re proud of your region, open it up and share with the world.
Born or raised in the Basque country more or less or with parents/grandparents from there. For example they have one player that is Bosnian, but he was born to immigrant parents in San Sebastian. Williams is also born in Bilbao but to refugee parents as another example.

Fernando Llorente for example qualified through his parents or grandparents (I cannot remember which) being from Navarre.

So yeah, they have a slimmer window for recruiting. But they also invest way more into their youth setup than most other clubs. And they tend to sell for good money.

I'm not going to dive too much into the Spain vs Basque Country conflict. But the Basque people are very proud of their cultural identity and value it over things like "global football".

And even with such a insular culture they still stay competitive and are a regular European fixture.

Name me one supporter who said Jol was a failure? Or who said Redknapp should have challenged for the major honours with that team? I really detest Spurs fans who make up fictional scenarios, who put an individual’s interest ( who only became involved with us in 2014) above the club (and who still endlessly defending a manager that is no longer here).

Lets focus on reality:

Only top six club not to win a trophy during his tenure despite accumulating more points in the league over that period other than City

Sacked from this club with the club 14th in the league with a team in complete free fall.

No legacy structure in place with a complete squad rebuild required last year.

Courted other clubs whilst here and talked about leaving on the eve of a cup final.

No you’re absolutely right he was undoubtedly a total success for the club.
No one said he was faultless you dipshit, but to deny everything he’s done for the club sounds like you’ve got a personal thing going on.
Squad rebuild? Yeah no wonder it needed rebuilding after those years of minimal investment. You probably think that muh Njie or Janssen are investments, Poch bad coach and has no idea who to buy. Embarrassing.

Born or raised in the Basque country more or less or with parents/grandparents from there. For example they have one player that is Bosnian, but he was born to immigrant parents in San Sebastian. Williams is also born in Bilbao but to refugee parents as another example.

Fernando Llorente for example qualified through his parents or grandparents (I cannot remember which) being from Navarre.

So yeah, they have a slimmer window for recruiting. But they also invest way more into their youth setup than most other clubs. And they tend to sell for good money.

I'm not going to dive too much into the Spain vs Basque Country conflict. But the Basque people are very proud of their cultural identity and value it over things like "global football".

And even with such a insular culture they still stay competitive and are a regular European fixture.
Thanks - interesting. I get the view but I just don’t agree with it. I’m very proud of where I’m from and identify strongly with that part of England. I’m very proud of being Spurs too. But I love it when those things that are dear to me are opened up and shared with talented people from over the world.

No one said he was faultless you dipshit, but to deny everything he’s done for the club sounds like you’ve got a personal thing going on.
Squad rebuild? Yeah no wonder it needed rebuilding after those years of minimal investment. You probably think that muh Njie or Janssen are investments, Poch bad coach and has no idea who to buy. Embarrassing.

All of those years of minimal investment......

Given a squad of Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Dembele, Walker, Lloris to just name a few .

Broke the transfer record on numerous occasions and spent on large fees: Son £22million, Sissoko £30million, Sanchez £42 million, Lucas £26 million, Ndombele £52 million, Lo Celso £40 million.

But no according to people like you he was never given any resources and had to sign just the likes of Njie and Jansen ( who actually cost £17 million which was our second highest fee at the time)

Embarrassing indeed.

All of those years of minimal investment......

Given a squad of Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Dembele, Walker, Lloris to just name a few .

Broke the transfer record on numerous occasions and spent on large fees: Son £22million, Sissoko £30million, Sanchez £42 million, Lucas £26 million, Ndombele £52 million, Lo Celso £40 million.

But no according to people like you he was never given any resources and had to sign just the likes of Njie and Jansen ( who actually cost £17 million which was our second highest fee at the time)

Embarrassing indeed.
At the same time, the top 6 rivals spent 50-60m on one player, but Njie was our highest fee at 17m. Lol.

Oh yeah you keep barking the same crap over and over about talented squad when none of these players were really proven to be world class.

Adding Ndombele and Lo Celso to that list of transfers to prove your point is hilarious because they didn’t get to work with Poch for too long. It took Mourinho one year to get Ndombele ready to play every game and it took a growing injury list to start Lo Celso.

Think I've posted this before but it's a really good profile.

At the same time, the top 6 rivals spent 50-60m on one player, but Njie was our highest fee at 17m. Lol.

Oh yeah you keep barking the same crap over and over about talented squad when none of these players were really proven to be world class.

Adding Ndombele and Lo Celso to that list of transfers to prove your point is hilarious because they didn’t get to work with Poch for too long. It took Mourinho one year to get Ndombele ready to play every game and it took a growing injury list to start Lo Celso.

Yes our top six rivals spent large amounts on a lot of dross which is why we had a better team than most of them for his tenure.

But none of those players were world class , just Kane, Son, Lloris as well as amazing players in Dembele, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alderwield to name a few.

United won the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA whilst he was Spurs manager. Which world class players did they have again?

Woolwich won 3 FA cups - which world class players did they have again?

Leicester won the title and beat him to it - how many world class players did they have again? Wes Morgan or Danny Drinkwater? Which one?

But according to you Levy was too blame and the players weren’t good enough. It’s amazing how some will talk down the club to elevate a manager who just was simply not good at that level - the Tim Henman of football management. Nice guy, good manager but not a winner and doesn’t possess the talent to be one. Disgraceful behaviour from a supporter to lay the blame on the club instead.

And to claim that Tanguy and Lo Celso shouldn’t be included is hilarious - why didn’t he get to work with them for long again? Oh yeah it was because he got sacked with the club in 14th.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom