January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Naughty Blakey....

Let's take your boy Sissoko for example (though it could just as easily be eg Winks)....

Jose, Poch, Deschamps.... How many of those men "constantly lose their jobs"(*) exclusively due to playing Moussa?

(*What's wrong with that statement....?)

Of course, the answer is none.

The answer isn't none. I didn't say they all get constantly sacked because of Sissoko, the point I'm making is they get sacked because of decisions the make (tactical, selections, ethos, man management etc) , therefore their judgement can be questioned.

Pochettino lost his job and part of the reason were our performances, particularly our inability to play through a midfield that continually saw Sissoko picked in it - he also was a major factor in us losing the CL final in Poch's last full season, if he'd won the CL would have made him harder to sack maybe, but as I posted in the Sissoko thread a couple of days ago, there is an absolute correlation with the amount of minutes Sissoko played with our dip in performances as a team. He's not the whole reason, I've never claimed that, but I think his selection and our performances as a result of that selection, was part of the reasons he ended up getting sacked. Pochettino has been sacked from two of his three jobs.

We'll see what happens with Mourinho, but he's been sacked from his last 2 jobs, why is that? It's because of the decisions he's made. I think without Kane in the form of his life the deficiencies - and inability to create anything from our current midfield featuring Sissoko - would be getting heavily exposed. At the moment Kane's form is masking those flaws, but there's already been plenty of evidence of the deficiencies (even with Kane) of our midfield - defensively and offensively.

Deschamps is currently undroppable, because he won a WC - with Sissoko nowhere near the team - with a side he absolutely should be winning a WC with - there were plenty who wanted him sacked after their Euro's (featuring Sissoko). Even recently, he picks Sissoko who gives away a goal and they lose to Finland, drops him and they beat a stronger Portugal (with Ronaldo and Fernandes etc) than they lost to in the Euro's (with Sissoko - seeing a theme here ?). But even lately (again as I've posted in reply to you before) there is quite a lot of criticism of his selections and style of play - with such a fantastic bunch of players available - and Sissoko's selection is continually questioned.

Last edited:
I don't think you have ever watched a 90 minute performance of Keita have you? Be honest. If you had, you'd know he's absolutely fuck all like Ozil, Ramsey, Dele and is not a "tippy tappy" player. Even if you hadn't seen him at RBS and RBL, he's actually played as a DM a couple times for Liverpool, it's definitely not his best remit, but he's great in a CM2 or CM3/8 because as well as being able to dribble and pass incisively he's a tenacious player who's pressing metrics blow anyone in our midfields out of the water and his tackling/interceptions are better the likes of Winks, Sissoko and are only matched by PEH.

The last sentence just shows your ignorance. The UEFA club 5 yr coefficient ranking place Liverpool behind the likes of Sevilla, manU, Juve, AM, ManC, PSG, Barca. They also have Woolwich as 11th above us in 12th. This is a 5 year coefficient that is based solely on results in European competitions. Not a balanced perspective on who has actually been the best/strongest teams in Europe currently (or last 2/3 years) or do you believe Sevilla and ManU are better teams than Liverpool?

And guess what team are currently top of this seasons UEFA coefficient rankings. Liverpool.
So in one post

You know better than UEFA -their rankings are not a balanced perspective according to you.
You know better than Klopp - who doesn't rank Keita above any of his midfield players.
You know better than the statistics - Keita has terrible metrics because he hardly ever plays, you can't just make them up based on a few minutes as a substitute and then what you imagine would happen if he did play a full game.

OK that's your opinion which is perfectly fine so here's mine ....

You start by asking about watching Keita play 90 minutes - just how many times do you think he's managed that in the EPL this season - that would be ZERO - so what exactly am I supposed to watch Guinea versus Chad? will that tell me why he's deserving of a Spurs starting position? seriously?

and guess which team are currently only 3rd best in the EPL, let alone in Europe - that would be Liverpool ... see we can all write rubbish statements about who ranks where, but what does it even mean when talking about a barely-used squad player?

But congrats for a whole post without slagging off Sissoko (well only once) .... you're learning.

So back to what we actually need in the 2021 transfer window:

The point you so eloquently ignored is that Kieta would clearly not be an improvement on our starting midfield PEH, LoCelso or Ndombele, or that as a bench signing he does not add enough to our squad ... we need a back-up defensive midfield player he's not that, we need a goal scoring AM he's certainly not that ... so Kieta fulfils neither of those midfield requirements, he's a jack off all trades master of none. I know you say you can't see it but that is just like Ozil, Ramsey, and Dele and those types of luxury player, they're all very good players but none are what's needed in the modern game, as indeed Klopp has already found out with Kieta at Liverpool (not that you trust managers)

Clearly just as you overly hate some Spurs players, you overly lust after some players from elsewhere - Kieta is simply not worth your time. There are better players, cheaper transfer, and not on silly wages ... Kieta? thanks but no thanks let West Ham have him.

Last edited:
Why would we want to do Liverpool a favour and give them a PL experienced Centre back?

What if it gave us funds to buy say Declan Rice... Say we get £40M and Winks in exchange makes up the difference, type scenario (just focused on Rice as presume he's HG).

If Rodon moves above Sanchez in the order, surely it doesn't matter as if we are competing with Pool then our best squad is imperative, there won't be many teams able to drop £40M odd for Sanchez.

Condescending? Why?

You might not have seen it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I have seen him have good games for Liverpool.

You are (potentially) oversimplifying a situation that is (potentially) more complicated. The player himself may choose not to sign a new contract and force the clubs hand if he feels he isn't going to become a fixture in the first team - Klopp wouldn't necessarily choose to sell him even if he thinks he's not automatic first choice because it wouldn't be easy to find a "back up" who's as good.

Again, he's playing for one of the best three teams in Europe over the last couple of years, letting him go, or him choosing to go is a long way from meaning he's shit. That's how we got Reguilon for example. how we've now ended up with Bale again, how we got VDV, many a very player has come out of not quite making it at a top side and had great careers.

Did Liverpool over pay for the player. Not in my opinion based on his performances (and I watched him quite a few times - and so did most of Europe's clubs and many would have signed him - which is why Liverpool who have been the best recruiting team in Europe the last few years jumped the gun and paid in advance to beat the rush), performances backed up by the metrics.

Has it worked out? not ideally, no, but as I'ver tried to explain and Klopp has said similar - sometimes there are external reasons beyond the player that can influence that, injuries, tactical structure, team dynamics, other personnel etc.

I stand by my opinion that he's a really good footballer with a good all round midfield skill set. I'd have him here in shot, and I think he'd walk into at least 15-17 teams in the PL. Other opinions are available.
Boring
TLDR

Stick to being a Piers Morgan fan!

In transfer threads we focus on where the team is weakest with respect to who/what type of player we should buy. Sissoko is a valid topic of any conversation involving that evolution. In terms of the team, his (Sissoko) role is probably the very weakest and easiest to upgrade. So forgive me if I say, fuck off telling me who I can and can't talk about, I'll talk about Sissoko all I like in the transfer thread.

Once again, you make a complete Donald of yourself when you actually attempt to discuss football or football stats and /or Sissoko's shitness. You claim Keita is shit because in 67 appearances he's scored 7 and assisted 4, but he's actually only made 47 PL appearances and only 29 starts. In 83 starts and 122 total for us Sissoko (also playing mostly as a box to box midfielder and even a fair few games as an AM) has managed 2 goals and 7 assists. So if Keita's is a terrible return, what's Sissoko's?

I happen to rate Klopp extremely highly, all I've done is try to rationalise why Keita might not have been a constant starter at one of Europe's top 3 best performing clubs, and backed that up, including with Klopp's own explanation, and why that doesn't automatically make Keita shit (as you seem to suggest).

In a midfield 2, that Mourinho plays every week come hell or high water, I'd have Keita ahead of Sissoko (who's stating there lately), Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele, maybe even PEH, but at least with PEH because as much as I like in varying degrees three of those players, none of them are better suited to playing the multi faceted double role as I think Keita would be. In my ideal CM3 system it would get complicated, but Keita could play in any of the remits in a CM3 IMO meaning he'd get loads of starts and all 4 (PEH, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Keita) would just constantly rotate with rest/competitions/injuries in my hypothetical scenario. And in that scenario he'd be a fucking huge upgrade on Sissoko and a pretty big one on Winks.
Not obsessed 🤩

Corona Love GIF by SHOKKA

What if it gave us funds to buy say Declan Rice... Say we get £40M and Winks in exchange makes up the difference, type scenario (just focused on Rice as presume he's HG).

If Rodon moves above Sanchez in the order, surely it doesn't matter as if we are competing with Pool then our best squad is imperative, there won't be many teams able to drop £40M odd for Sanchez.
Rice is just a shit Skipp though

ask yourselves why Inter want to get shot of him so soon, I don't mind if he goes to Woolwich his best days are clearly behind him. Let them add another 200k to their wage bill on a player who won't elevate them, it will be better for us than them getting a quality creative player rather than another panic buy.

ask yourselves why Inter want to get shot of him so soon, I don't mind if he goes to Woolwich his best days are clearly behind him. Let them add another 200k to their wage bill on a player who won't elevate them, it will be better for us than them getting a quality creative player rather than another panic buy.
I think he'd suit them pretty well tbf with Partey behind - probably doesn't have to do much grafting and they desperately need creativity through the center. I took a glance at an Inter Milan forum and they seem to mostly blame Conte and his 3412 system for his form, they all want to get rid of Conte before any player but it's impossible because of the amount they'd have to pay to break his contract. Arse would be getting a potentially very tactically useful player for them (even if on the downward slope) in exchange for a truly awful player in Xhaka. OTOH, I'd much rather they get him than Aouar or a younger playmaker with more potential.

I'd be disappointed in Eriksen if he did go to them, after saying the whole time it was about a change in scenery and potential for trophies. It's obvious it's just a job to him, which is true for most players, but you can think of some (like Jan) who would never do it.

Exactly, his form dropped off massively for us and he's done nothing at Inter.

The guy has given up now he realises his dream of playing for European elite has died. He'd just become another resident of the Woolwich football retirement home

I don't believe Eriksen would go to Woolwich, literally makes no sense.

A worse team than Spurs and Inter and a return to London which he was so desperate to escape - not to mention the rivalry.

If football is just a job for him why wouldn't he go to the MLS or China?

Nonsense story.

Back
Top Bottom