Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

yesterday's game: ref gave a foul against West Brom (where Gallagher I think got the ball but took out the man). Exact same situation as with Hojbjerg vs Brighton where VAR check gave the wrong decision.

In my opinion the VAR-room should have the power to overthrow the referees decision. In the Brighton game I'm sure the VAR people/person didn't agree with the decision or else the referee wouldn't have gone and looked at the event again. The problem with letting the referee decide is to much ego/pride/narcissism among referees, they always look to back up their original decision.

In my opinion the VAR-room should have the power to overthrow the referees decision. In the Brighton game I'm sure the VAR people/person didn't agree with the decision or else the referee wouldn't have gone and looked at the event again. The problem with letting the referee decide is to much ego/pride/narcissism among referees, they always look to back up their original decision.
Strangely, from what I can understand, that was the first time a referee has not reversed his decision after being referred back to the pitchside monitor. The VAR panel deliberately give the referees a chance to save some face and change their minds apparently but as you quite rightly say this prick valued his pride more and stuck to his guns.

The problem with VAR offside is that the rule needs to be very exact once you start measuring it.

When offside is adjudged real-time by the lino you don't need to be that exact; there's no way they could judge precisely enough.

Now that we are stopping the game, using a freeze frame* to draw lines on the pitch and player body parts, then making mm decisions... the law needs to be precise. At what point does the arm become the shoulder? Needs a precise definition now, and they decided that the end of the sleeve is the answer.

So this Bamford offside. By the rules they've had to create, that was definitely offside. There is no choice but to give it offside. A part of him that could legally score was in an offside position.

But we all look at that and say it's clearly onside, because we were all brought up in an era where the bulk of the body is what was considered on/off, not a flailing extremity.

So, for VAR to work you need to have a precise rule and stick to it. The uneasiness brought out by the Bamford decision is based on our historic and now obsolete "feel" for what an offside looks like.

Which brings me to the biggest issue: They keep changing the rules on handball and offside. At least once a season, sometimes twice. As they iterate their way through VAR, on the fly, they keep having to refine it. That creates this situation whereby we are in constant flux of rules and we mentally can't keep up. What looked clearly offside to us is in fact onside... today at least, maybe tomorrow it's off again.

If we stuck with the rules we have today, in 20 years time it will be completely normal for us to look at Bamford and say "yeah clearly off look at his shoulder". Just like how we know now what a backpass is... go back and watch some pre-Premier League football and tell me you don't cringe every time the keeper picks up a pass from a defender. We're used to it now. Maybe we need the same now?

Or maybe we need to radically rethink how we go about using VAR to try to make a precise judgement after five minutes of drawing little lines on the pitch in an attempt to rule out a goal that nobody protested.

*ignoring for a moment the inaccuracy of the freeze frame

It needs better technology.
  1. Sensors in the ball to detect when the touch was made (already exists)
  2. Some type of "spider-cam" running behind the advertising boards, using image recognition to track the last man in each half. Call it the VAL (virtual assistant linesperson)
    1. Camera needs to be 4k-60fps.​
    2. A pair of moving cameras (and accounting for mechanical issues) would be easier to deal with than multiple fixed cameras every 5 metres or so (bandwidth and storage issues).​
    3. Add thermal vision and laser range finding.​
Solved. Patented. Sold.

This makes it worse for me, just listen and hear how quickly it's confirmed, like 3 seconds! No way was it replayed in that time, no fucking way.

That said if VAR remains (it's clear by now that it shouldn't) the commentary of the officials should be available to all and live (just as it is in Rugby). With many laws of the game having to be "interpreted" there is NEVER 100% consensus, there will NEVER be black or white, yes or no decisions. This means it's imperative that those watching are "sold" the decision.

This makes it worse for me, just listen and hear how quickly it's confirmed, like 3 seconds! No way was it replayed in that time, no fucking way.

That said if VAR remains (it's clear by now that it shouldn't) the commentary of the officials should be available to all and live (just as it is in Rugby). With many laws of the game having to be "interpreted" there is NEVER 100% consensus, there will NEVER be black or white, yes or no decisions. This means it's imperative that those watching are "sold" the decision.

go to any rugby match with a video ref (or TMO), which i understand is only ones that are televised (a concept I utterly disagree with),and you buy the ref link pack. Im astonished that the premier league missed this opportunity to make a couple of quid

go to any rugby match with a video ref (or TMO), which i understand is only ones that are televised (a concept I utterly disagree with),and you buy the ref link pack. Im astonished that the premier league missed this opportunity to make a couple of quid
I remember having one in 5 Nations (1999 England vs Wales at Wembley, bastard of a game), that's 21yrs ago!! (Didn't like it mind, not when you're at the game).

Trouble with VAR is everytime theres a ridiculous decision. The powers that be are shamed into changing something. Happened after champions league final and now after the dier hand ball decision. VAR cockups always seem to involve us

For offsides they should just look at the feet. If ur feet are onside then so are you. No lines drawn up to an armpit hair. Just a line on the ground looking at feet. Sorted.

Pay me my money for fixing this issue now please.

It's amazing how the handball rule existed perfectly fine for over a 100 years, and now since they've played around with it it's a fucking mess that needs tweak after tweak, revision after revision. I just despair.

Trouble with VAR is everytime theres a ridiculous decision.
No, the problem is that almost every decision is ridiculous. Despite the authorities pretending otherwise, there's no recognizable consistent policy.

For every game that's stopped every ten seconds to consult with VAR, there's another of equal controversy where they just wave play on despite clear possible foul play.

They make up the rule book as they go, stopping play for three minutes at a time while they draw fake lines to determine if a player's sleeve is offside.

They've somehow come up with literally the worst imaginable implementation of VAR.

Pr
No, the problem is that almost every decision is ridiculous. Despite the authorities pretending otherwise, there's no recognizable consistent policy.

For every game that's stopped every ten seconds to consult with VAR, there's another of equal controversy where they just wave play on despite clear possible foul play.

They make up the rule book as they go, stopping play for three minutes at a time while they draw fake lines to determine if a player's sleeve is offside.

They've somehow come up with literally the worst imaginable implementation of VAR.
Problem is they wont admit theyre wrong so keep doubling down on VAR

Back
Top Bottom