Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its hilarious only you mentioned Davids.
He had the simplest of remits today, basically shuffling between Aurier and Alderweireld and somehow it’s deemed some kind of Edgar Davids-esque performance?

And as I said, and stand by, we don’t play City every week. Even today Sissoko was marking their guy that scored, that was then VAR’d. Against West Ham when we were parked he was responsible for thr first one and culpable in the second goal. He is not defensively great.

And in games when we aren’t just playing on our own 25 years line his inability to contribute is a massive problem. And will become an even bigger problem when Kane isn’t around to make or score the 80% of our goals he has so far.

We don’t need Camavinga we just need someone who can trundle around when we are parking a bus, but who can also play football when we are not and we will be a better football team.

Its hilarious only you mentioned Davids. A few people have tried to point out he serves function and will be used accordingly. You need to take the blinkers off as its repetitive. Happily Jose clearly doesn't have the same blind spot or care. Oh and that simple remit...thats the plan you said yourself it don't require Camavinga

Hold on though, you've gone from criticising me for not saying he was "great" to now criticising me for not saying "he did a job", which is very different, and I did say that.

Sissoko was no more remarkable out there today than any other player, but did a basic job, like everyone did in a pretty "do a basic job" type performance . The type of performance others have done against City this year (and last). Some have done more. And to be honest that is me saying something I don't often say about Sissoko, so I'd enjoy it.

I'd be more inclined to question the agenda of those trying to make this all about Sissoko, again, calling him MOTM etc- which is plainly ludicrous compared to the performances of Kane, Hojbjerg, Aurier, Alderweireld etc, or using this game as some kind of rinse for a bunch of other really poor and inadequate performances.
Again, I'm not trying to elevate his performances above other players today, nor use it to pardon other poor performances, which have been numerous. I have tempered down great to good as I cant believe anyone would disagree he did a good job today. In doing a good job, no matter how "basic," he has played well (imo he did a great job defensively).

That is obvious to everyone, including you I'm sure, which is why your twisting and turning is so strange.

Stand by the fact that he isn't good enough and an upgrade is a priority

However he was pretty good tonight and definitely looks better against the likes of city than he does against teams like west brom

Again, I'm not trying to elevate his performances above other players today, nor use it to pardon other poor performances, which have been numerous. I have tempered down great to good as I cant believe anyone would disagree he did a good job today. In doing a good job, no matter how "basic," he has played well (imo he did a great job defensively).

That is obvious to everyone, including you I'm sure, which is why your twisting and turning is so strange.

No twist or turn. I've not changed from "great" to "job" and back again. I'm saying he was competently functional in a basic remit in a team of pretty competently functional performances, with one (Kane) who was great and a couple who were a bit above that.

No twist or turn. I've not changed from "great" to "job" and back again. I'm saying he was competently functional in a basic remit in a team of pretty competently functional performances, with one (Kane) who was great and a couple who were a bit above that.
I've reduced the ambition of my argument from great job to good job; you can't take the adjective from one sentence and the verb from another, especially when the same verb appeared in both opinions
It is fundamentally dishonest ( im unsure if it is intentional or you are just blinded by bias).

I'll take completely functional as your version of praise but I'm suprised you wouldn't want to praise more players than Kane plus a couple more when earlier you reeled off a whole list you though were worthy of a special mention.

Still a little bit of twisting but we are getting there.

Last edited:
Bloody hell, "competently functional". Steady on Blakey. I know we're top and everything but that's no excuse to get carried away. You'll be gushing with praise for Moura next if you don't rein it in.

Last edited:
I’m on Blakey’s side of things usually with Sissoko. Though I usually caveat with ‘hard working, team player. Seems like a nice lad’ type stuff.

Yesterday he played to his strengths (which is largely strength) and put in a hell of a shift. Hats off to him. I’m sure he executed his part in the managers game plan to a T. Yellow on the stroke of HT but I didn’t worry about it or think about tbh during the 2nd half.

Credit where it’s due

However he was pretty good tonight and definitely looks better against the likes of city than he does against teams like west brom

I think that's just down to the nature of those games. Against West Brom or Brighton, we didn't need him to be as imperious as he was against City, only for him to be tidy, which he pretty much always is. It's these huge games against massive talents that we really get to see what it is that the coaches love about him.

But, even if we were to say that he shines only against the bigger teams, you still need to play him against the smaller ones so that he actually integrates with his partners properly. PEH and Sissoko need to develop that relationship, week-in, week-out for it to be fully solid. You can't just throw him in against City having missed the last 5 games and expect their chemistry to work.

Maybe in the fullness of time, when our current squad has been playing for months (or a year) to Mou's specifications, then we could afford to drop someone like Sissoko in favor of someone more offensive, but until that relationship between him and PEH is solid as a rock, I doubt we'll see Mou drop him until at least Christmas, unless it's against Palace. We're going to need him in every one of these huge games we have until then.

Will Bus Conductor give praise for his performance today? I also think he is a disaster a lot of the time but class today. Only poor moment was the silly yellow card
And laying down in the box trying to blag away the potential handball penalty and keeping city onside until he realised he should get the fuck up

btw I thought he was immense

I’m on Blakey’s side of things usually with Sissoko. Though I usually caveat with ‘hard working, team player. Seems like a nice lad’ type stuff.

Yesterday he played to his strengths (which is largely strength) and put in a hell of a shift. Hats off to him. I’m sure he executed his part in the managers game plan to a T. Yellow on the stroke of HT but I didn’t worry about it or think about tbh during the 2nd half.

Credit where it’s due

TBF, that's not the Blakey side of things...... The Blakey side of things is continual insults and refusal to give credit when due.

Well, he was very good today. And I hope he continues to play well. But this was just one match. He’s been pretty dire until today.

I’ll pass on the humble pie and maybe consider a plate of it later in the season. Not convinced I’ll be ordering it though. Just hope I am.

Started 7 of our nine PL matches. Played 90 mins in nearly all of them. We are top of the league.
I'll keep it warm for you. ;-)

TBF, that's not the Blakey side of things...... The Blakey side of things is continual insults and refusal to give credit when due.

No it's not. It's continually being insulted for explaining (and backing those explanations up) why I don't rate the player or giving exactly the right amount of credit that's due, not exaggerating the credit that's due out of rational proportion because of some fanboy agenda.

Here's an example. Yesterday, nobody who stared saw less of the ball than Sissoko, nobody who started received the ball less than Sissoko, in fact Lo Celso who was on the pitch a third of the time Sissoko was, received it the same - 13 times - but it was what he did without the ball you will wail, no, not really.

Sissoko tackles = 1

Pressures of opponents:

Hojbjerg 31
Aurier 29
Ndombele 25
Son 24
Kane 18
Reguilon 17
Bergwijn 15
Dier 12
Lo Celso 6 (25 min)
Moura 5 (17)
Sissoko 12 (90)

Successful presses:

Hojbjerg 11
Aurier 7
Ndombele 7
Reguilon 6
Son 3
Kane 3
Bergwijn 3
Dier 3
Alderweireld 2
Lo Celso 2 (25m)
Sissoko 1 (90)

Sissoko - number of times a player tried to dribble past was tackled = 0

These stats back up what I have said previously interns of what I saw. I didn't see "immense" I didn't see a "great" performance. I saw an incredibly perfunctory, functional, OK performance in which he did a really basic remit, shuttling between the RB and CB mostly, in what was a very basic functional tactical collective performance in which we parked a bus and scored with our only two shots on target, outscoring our X/G by 1.4, whilst they still managed an x/g of 1.6. And the one time they did get the ball in the net, guess who was marking the scorer ?

If you guys want to suck each off about what was a perfunctory bus park (and lest be honest here, we're not the first to do this to City lately) and add a Sissoko reach around into it, knock yourselves out. I didn't see that, collectively or individually.

No it's not. It's continually being insulted for explaining (and backing those explanations up) why I don't rate the player or giving exactly the right amount of credit that's due, not exaggerating the credit that's due out of rational proportion because of some fanboy agenda.

Here's an example. Yesterday, nobody who stared saw less of the ball than Sissoko, nobody who started received the ball less than Sissoko, in fact Lo Celso who was on the pitch a third of the time Sissoko was, received it the same - 13 times - but it was what he did without the ball you will wail, no, not really.

Sissoko tackles = 1

Pressures of opponents:

Hojbjerg 31
Aurier 29
Ndombele 25
Son 24
Kane 18
Reguilon 17
Bergwijn 15
Dier 12
Lo Celso 6 (25 min)
Moura 5 (17)
Sissoko 12 (90)

Successful presses:

Hojbjerg 11
Aurier 7
Ndombele 7
Reguilon 6
Son 3
Kane 3
Bergwijn 3
Dier 3
Alderweireld 2
Lo Celso 2 (25m)
Sissoko 1 (90)

Sissoko - number of times a player tried to dribble past was tackled = 0

These stats back up what I have said previously interns of what I saw. I didn't see "immense" I didn't see a "great" performance. I saw an incredibly perfunctory, functional, OK performance in which he did a really basic remit, shuttling between the RB and CB mostly, in what was a very basic functional tactical collective performance in which we parked a bus and scored with our only two shots on target, outscoring our X/G by 1.4, whilst they still managed an x/g of 1.6. And the one time they did get the ball in the net, guess who was marking the scorer ?

If you guys want to suck each off about what was a perfunctory bus park (and lest be honest here, we're not the first to do this to City lately) and add a Sissoko reach around into it, knock yourselves out. I didn't see that, collectively or individually.

TLDR:

Insults: "Lumbering Elephant Cunt" for example.
Denying credit: "Never contributes"

"Functionally adequate" is not due praise.

And this is perhaps the problem. You keep trying to judge him by standards which other people don't think are as important as you do. In a nutshell, your argument seems to be that he is a waste of a shirt because he doesn't do anything that you measure quality by.

I don't know why you are so resistant to updating your measurements, especially when everyone and their mother is praising how good he was yesterday. It seems your impression is that he didn't screw up very much, so he was "okay, I guess", while most of the forum (and punditry, and journalists) seem to think he was brilliant.

These stats back up what I have said previously interns of what I saw. I didn't see "immense" I didn't see a "great" performance. I saw an incredibly perfunctory, functional, OK performance in which he did a really basic remit, shuttling between the RB and CB mostly, in what was a very basic functional tactical collective performance in which we parked a bus

Exactly my point. Your naked eye isn't picking up what he does, and you've gone looking for statistical evidence that he does nothing, to verify what your eyes are telling you.

If you truly can't see, even with your naked eye, how much he was an absolute roadblock to City's transitions, passing, and even wing-play, then I don't know if anyone can explain it to you. That's not me inviting a cunt off, just saying that I truly don't get how you don't get it yet.

:mourcheeks:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom