Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, and did Jose demand that he should be sold before the end of the season like you Sammy?

As far as I know he brought him out during the lockdown to get his fitness level up. So who’s right Sammy?
Errrr I didn’t say Jose wanted him sold, I said I would have sold him if he was still as poor, but he changed his application and worked hard over the summer.

Jose never mentioned his injuries in fact he mocked them.
He pointed out his lack of effort.

Sammy you are wrong, you know you are, and you’re just trying to put a spin on it because, like Donald Trump, you have some kind of a mental block when it comes to being wrong or losing.
No see this is what people do today and the irony is that you’re the Trump in the room.

You want me to say he was good last season, but he wasn’t. He was rubbish and his effort was terrible.
I was wrong that he should be sold, and wrong that he couldn’t turn it around.

But that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit here and say he was good last season. He wasn’t and I would have sold him.
But that doesn’t mean I’m going to sit here and say he was good last season. He wasn’t and I would have sold him.
That would have been a mistake but I’m not one of those desperate posters who will spend a year trying to rewrite history and wriggle out of what be right.

Like half the forum are doing with Jose.

And I’ll ask you seeing as the last guy ran off.
Would you keep him this season if he was playing like he was last?
And next season?
When do you decide a “generational talent” isn’t worth it in your eyes? If prolonged bad form isn’t a reason to sell?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how 'athletic' Ndombele is. He's played several game on the bounce so far and must be reaching 'match fitness'. There was one instance yesterday when de Bruyne (no speedster himself), left him for dead in a 30m 'sprint'.

Having said all that, he's starting to show why someone thought he is worth £60m. Team mates are starting to look to play the ball to him with confidence that he'll start a forward move rather than last season's, 'if I pass to him, I wonder what he do with it? I'll give it Winksy instead!

As far as I'm concerned he can let Hojbjerg and Sissoko do all the hard running and focus on putting Kane, Son and Bale/Lucas in on goal.

A beautiful, lazy chip over the City defence to set up Son yesterday.

I'm starting to get that 16/17 feeling!

Glad someone else noticed De Bruyne running off the back off him. (It's worth pointing out Kevin definitely isn't a slouch and has a hell of a engine). But Tunguy looked like was moving backwards and promptly gave up.

As silky as he is on the ball, I still don't see him as a #10. Yet he's still not not fit enough to play in a 2. Is this not concerning ? Why isn't he fit enough ? Why does he look perfectly fit with the ball and so laboured without it?

It just seems odd that someone so ridiculously talented can't get up to 100% fitness. He trains everyday and he has to be more athletically gifted than Charlie Adams. So what's the hold up?

Glad someone else noticed De Bruyne running off the back off him. (It's worth pointing out Kevin definitely isn't a slouch and has a hell of a engine). But Tunguy looked like was moving backwards and promptly gave up.

As silky as he is on the ball, I still don't see him as a #10. Yet he's still not not fit enough to play in a 2. Is this not concerning ? Why isn't he fit enough ? Why does he look perfectly fit with the ball and so laboured without it?

It just seems odd that someone so ridiculously talented can't get up to 100% fitness. He trains everyday and he has to be more athletically gifted than Charlie Adams. So what's the hold up?
Maybe he’s not much of an athlete?

The feint that the 2 city mids think is most likely to be a square pass moves them both away from the ball

he then makes that slight dummy a turn so he’s facing their back line after buying himself that half a yard

the chip was the easy part once he’d sold their midfield 2 down the river

‘La Feinte’ Couldn’t be more apt

The feint that the 2 city mids think is most likely to be a square pass moves them both away from the ball

he then makes that slight dummy a turn so he’s facing their back line after buying himself that half a yard

the chip was the easy part once he’d sold their midfield 2 down the river

‘La Feinte’ Couldn’t be more apt

That was the best part for me too.

Not the nonchalant assist. But what came before. Literally left two City midfielders for dead and gave himself that extra time to pick the pass.

Exquisite. That's what separates him and Dembele as players. Dembele was better defensively, able to chop down the turf like a tractor but Ndombele is so much better with the ball.

But two very important components.

Programming is a motherfucker. De Bruyne is one of the most powerful explosive athletes in football period - once he’s in motion there’s little stopping him. Just because he looks like the Sherminator from American Pie Doesn’t change this.

N'Dombele is not a natural athlete and he never will be. His talent is in his feet and brain. Accept it and live with it.

Told you we see it differently. Ali's technical gifts were never that stunning. I just need to see N'dombele manipulate the ball and dribble to see what he possesses. Your talk of aplication again,misses the point im making. Id not have sold him I had seen easily enough to warrant his retention. I'm not a poster that fixates on other posters so I dont recall if you were one of the people who wanted him sold, dont really care. But I did laugh at those who did.
Dele's technique might've not been as good as good as Ndombele, but his positioning and ability to create space was one of the best I've seen in this past decade, up there with the likes of Benzema. I remember the game v Fulham that we won in the 94th minute with Winks, and remember that it was the first game that we played with Dele back after his injury, and you could immediately see the difference in the team with him on the side in terms of fluidity in the final 3rd, although I believe we missed Kane and Son for that game which is why we barely won.

As for Dele, his first season at 18yrs old eclipsed anything Ndombele has done so far, so I’m not sure why you wouldnt call him a generational talent.
His attitude ruined him, not his lack of of talent.
This is such a falsehood and shows that you really don’t understand the technical aspects of football, and are obsessed with perceived attitude/work rate. No offence.

Dele, like what appears to be happening to to Winks, is not good enough to survive the philosophy shift of the team. He was putting up generational numbers when the Poch system was at itbut his actual development to become a better all round player was stunted. His lack of certain attributes means he can’t play in this current system.

Neither N’Dombele nor Dele nor Winks have had a personality transplant in the last year, one way or another. They’ve moved up and down in Jose’s pecking order for technical reasons.

Jose wants to play a certain way, and he’s found the players in the squad who can play that way to a high standard, and weeded out the ones who can’t. Just like every manager ever.

If it was solely down to “attitude” then Érik Lamela would be our best player, but it’s not and he isn’t.

This is such a falsehood and shows that you really don’t understand the technical aspects of football, and are obsessed with perceived attitude/work rate. No offence.

Dele, like what appears to be happening to to Winks, is not good enough to survive the philosophy shift of the team. He was putting up generational numbers when the Poch system was at itbut his actual development to become a better all round player was stunted. His lack of certain attributes means he can’t play in this current system.

Neither N’Dombele nor Dele nor Winks have had a personality transplant in the last year, one way or another. They’ve moved up and down in Jose’s pecking order for technical reasons.

Jose wants to play a certain way, and he’s found the players in the squad who can play that way to a high standard, and weeded out the ones who can’t. Just like every manager ever.

If it was solely down to “attitude” then Érik Lamela would be our best player, but it’s not and he isn’t.
Not saying you are entirely wrong about this, but things in life are mostly not as black/white as you tell it. Your position here sound a bit arrogant.

Dele's technique might've not been as good as good as Ndombele, but his positioning and ability to create space was one of the best I've seen in this past decade, up there with the likes of Benzema. I remember the game v Fulham that we won in the 94th minute with Winks, and remember that it was the first game that we played with Dele back after his injury, and you could immediately see the difference in the team with him on the side in terms of fluidity in the final 3rd, although I believe we missed Kane and Son for that game which is why we barely won.
He was Thomas Muller deluxe at his best. But his effectiveness declined as Poch’s machine started breaking down as players began to age, get more injury prone, and the team flat out became stale.

in Jose’s system you can’t be inefficient in the final 3rd, and you’ve got to be sharp and direct in your passing/dribbling to aid the transition game, this has never been a strength of Dele’s. It’s over for him here and I think there’s the 5 stages of grief going on about it amongst our fans- personally I’ve been at acceptance since last season finished.

Not saying you are entirely wrong about this, but things in life are mostly not as black/white as you tell it. Your position here sound a bit arrogant.
Hang on, he was being black and white by putting Dele and N’Dombele’s contrasting fortunes down to “attitude”.

I’m personally sick of the obsession with “attitude” when analysing players. The two most important aspects are their attributes and can these attributes mesh well with their teammates attributes within the preferred style of play/system of the coach. When the players feel comfortable with that, they start believing and vice versa.

When you break down Dele’s strengths and weaknesses as a player, it’s become clear why he’s expendable.

Just because he put up huge numbers 2-4 years ago doesn’t mean it can’t happen - Mourinho did similar to Juan Mata at Chelsea (then again his attitude wasn’t an issue apparently).

Back
Top Bottom