Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me, his best attribute is his movement off the ball, there are many good DM's who screen the back four, to varying levels they can spoil the oppo build-up but it's only what you'd expect from a good DM and he does this well. But his standout is he is constantly on the move looking to receive the ball, always showing for it, recognising quickly that oppo is blocking a passing lane to him so he moves again, creating angles to receive the pass.

When he's received the ball he's releasing it quickly AND then on the move again, sometimes just a meter or two, sometimes it's a proper 10-15m sprint. You don't have to be a Moussa Dembele in possession to beat their press, if the oppo can't keep track of you and you constantly find pockets of space you can beat oppo press.
Agree 100%. Always looking to create the angle and has the technique to back it up once he receives the return ball

an excellent DM and a superb footballer

Agree 100%. Always looking to create the angle and has the technique to back it up once he receives the return ball

an excellent DM and a superb footballer
I'm et to be 100% convinced on his technical ability, to clarify this, a highly gifted technical player in my book can still pick out passes whilst being pressed, whilst he has played some nice passes into the final third, I think they have occurred whilst little pressure was applied to him. For me, this is the acid test, given the run of games we have I'm sure this doubt I have will be answered by Jan.

I'm et to be 100% convinced on his technical ability, to clarify this, a highly gifted technical player in my book can still pick out passes whilst being pressed, whilst he has played some nice passes into the final third, I think they have occurred whilst little pressure was applied to him. For me, this is the acid test, given the run of games we have I'm sure this doubt I have will be answered by Jan.
Fair one

nothing wrong with keeping ones powder dry but I’ve seen enough to be convinced, so I’ll nail my flag to the Hojbjerg mast

Last edited:
By far his biggest weakness is that there aren't 2 of him. We're a different side when he's not playing which is a bit scary if we want to go the distance in the cups as well as challenge for the league.

Incredible signing for us.

By far his biggest weakness is that there aren't 2 of him. We're a different side when he's not playing which is a bit scary if we want to go the distance in the cups as well as challenge for the league.

Incredible signing for us.
There's only 3 games tops left in the Carabao cup if we go all the way.
He's not critically required in the Ropey league group stage.
Just need to keep him fit for the league games.

There's only 3 games tops left in the Carabao cup if we go all the way.
He's not critically required in the Ropey league group stage.
Just need to keep him fit for the league games.
But also in January, we'll have FA Cup and then KO rounds of Europa. I agree we don't / shouldn't need him for next few games but I think after Xmas / New Years he'll rack up a lot of game time.

I've just remembered our fixture list for the next few games, Chelsea, Woolwich, Leicester, Wolves & Liverpool (can't remember the order) he's going to be so key in those fixtures.

But also in January, we'll have FA Cup and then KO rounds of Europa. I agree we don't / shouldn't need him for next few games but I think after Xmas / New Years he'll rack up a lot of game time.

I've just remembered our fixture list for the next few games, Chelsea, Woolwich, Leicester, Wolves & Liverpool (can't remember the order) he's going to be so key in those fixtures.
Just remember, we're probably not going to be trying to win 4 comps.
Mourinho will likely only play him in the FAC if we get a shit fixture early, otherwise it'll be baxckups against lower league teams.

Just remember, we're probably not going to be trying to win 4 comps.
Mourinho will likely only play him in the FAC if we get a shit fixture early, otherwise it'll be baxckups against lower league teams.
Hopefully, we get good draws but we are Spurs.

It would be interesting to see if we go in for another DM in January as well though. There are a few players that will / could potentially leave in some capacity like Dele, Fernandes and/or Winks so there should be space in the squad. Skipp should be back with the team again in the Summer and from what I hear he's doing fantastically well on loan so the manager may feel we can wait until then to have 2 DMs.

Back
Top Bottom