The Mighty Spurs vs Woolwich Scum - Sunday NLD

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Chelski have to go go to Dippers and us after Xmas
I don't expect us to win/go unbeaten all the way to the end, it'll be very close. Hoping we can get in some reinforcements in Jan if we're still close.

As an American it’s hard for me to understand why the English media is so anti-spurs (at least according to this thread).

I watched NBC’s coverage and not only is every commentator praising us, but Robbie Earle is breaking down defensive plays and making our defense sound exciting.

I mean ESPN over here is fucking terrible, but it’s a joy to watch NBC after our wins.

Morning All- Just got released from hospital after a week without football, great win. Just been watching that DT making a fool of himself, getting to be be quite a common occurrence.
There is just something quite sublime when we put the Woolwich to the sword, its better than pain relief!
COYS

Maybe as a collective, we feel hard done by when it comes to a lot of things, we don't seem to get many marginal decisions in our favour in games, or we're talked down by the media, Sky Sports pundits snipe at us etc.
Possibly, this also a way that we try to deflect from our inadequacies as a club, lack of titles/trophies etc, and some of us are overly sensitive to perceived criticism, or bias towards other clubs from the media. I posted earlier, to ask why Jamie Redknapp seems to have a downer on Spurs(I wasn't the only one saying this), and there was a subsequent post suggesting that we're reading too much into his comments.
After consideration, I tend to agree. As long as Spurs are doing a job on teams, it doesn't matter how, and it doesn't matter what the pundits think. We can definitely win something this season under Jose.
COYS

Gotta be honest here, I'm really disappointed with some fans not wearing any masks today. It will not improve the situation with bringing more crowds near future.

Grow up mate..this is my club and nobody will dictate to me when I can or cannot support them.
I'm just stating an obvious fact that watching mourinhos teams is frustrating, just a simple observation.
That most people agree with tbh, does not mean I want us to play open and loose does it.
Yes I do not like this style of play, but if we win some trophies then so be it...its been so long that I couldn't give a shit how we win some silverware.
I actually remember us being a club that won trophies, but if we win nothing playing like this then don't be surprised when the natives become restless...
Sorry and it’s not specifically at you because I don’t know if you was a Poch backer at the end or not, but I’m sick to death of this bullshit about us being frustrating to watch.

We have a clear, solid, effective game plan that the players are perfecting, and clearly believe in.
Defence, midfield, attack has all improved.
Hugo is in his absolute prime now he doesn’t have to double up as a CB.

Was it LESS frustrating to see him bursting 50 yards out of the box every week, trying diving headers?
Was it less frustrating to see us pass it back to him from the 6yrd box with 4 oppo bearing down in him?

Or maybe you was less frustrated by having 26 shots and not scoring then losing in the last ten minutes than having two shots and scoring both and winning?

We are top. 3rd highest goal scorers, joint best goal difference and conceded the least.
8 less than Liverpool and that’s due to them letting in SEVEN to Villa WITH Vandijk playing before you wheel that one out.

We are fit. We have depth.

Maybe you was less frustrated when our regime was to train like the Foreign Legion and be fucked come match day?
Able to bust a gut for the first half only?
Have 12 players on the treatment table at any one time.

Maybe it was less frustrating to watch Dele and Eriksen walk around ruining our counter attacks than it is to see us score goals like we did yesterday and against City?

This “brand” of football is clinical and plays to our strengths, but maybe watching the players totally confused and being forced to do things they couldn’t got you off?

Why some fans and pundits trying to act like we was playing scintillating football right up to last November is beyond me, because the simple truth it we were a rancid mess, playing absolute trash, with no leadership or direction and getting beat. Easily.
But NOW it’s frustrating?

Too many people claiming back then Poch was unfairly sacked, then having the nerve to criticise us now, and it’s beyond belief.

You want the Tottenham Way, fine, but the Tottenham Way these days is Spursy.
And there’s nothing more Spursy than having the best team, best manager, best style of football in the PL and winning FUCK ALL.

Sorry and it’s not specifically at you because I don’t know if you was a Poch backer at the end or not, but I’m sick to death of this bullshit about us being frustrating to watch.

We have a clear, solid, effective game plan that the players are perfecting, and clearly believe in.
Defence, midfield, attack has all improved.
Hugo is in his absolute prime now he doesn’t have to double up as a CB.

Was it LESS frustrating to see him bursting 50 yards out of the box every week, trying diving headers?
Was it less frustrating to see us pass it back to him from the 6yrd box with 4 oppo bearing down in him?

Or maybe you was less frustrated by having 26 shots and not scoring then losing in the last ten minutes than having two shots and scoring both and winning?

We are top. 3rd highest goal scorers, joint best goal difference and conceded the least.
8 less than Liverpool and that’s due to them letting in SEVEN to Villa WITH Vandijk playing before you wheel that one out.

We are fit. We have depth.

Maybe you was less frustrated when our regime was to train like the Foreign Legion and be fucked come match day?
Able to bust a gut for the first half only?
Have 12 players on the treatment table at any one time.

Maybe it was less frustrating to watch Dele and Eriksen walk around ruining our counter attacks than it is to see us score goals like we did yesterday and against City?

This “brand” of football is clinical and plays to our strengths, but maybe watching the players totally confused and being forced to do things they couldn’t got you off?

Why some fans and pundits trying to act like we was playing scintillating football right up to last November is beyond me, because the simple truth it we were a rancid mess, playing absolute trash, with no leadership or direction and getting beat. Easily.
But NOW it’s frustrating?

Too many people claiming back then Poch was unfairly sacked, then having the nerve to criticise us now, and it’s beyond belief.

You want the Tottenham Way, fine, but the Tottenham Way these days is Spursy.
And there’s nothing more Spursy than having the best team, best manager, best style of football in the PL and winning FUCK ALL.
Good points, and no it was time for poch to leave.
Which ended up imo being a little too late.
Don't get me wrong I loved him, and the way we played in his 2nd and 3rd years was at times breathtaking. But your right we won nothing, and maybe after west spams comeback mourinho just reverted to type.
But I still find giving up almost all the possession frustrating and a little dangerous but if it turns out to have been our magic formula then fuck it..

Morning all! Happy with that.. probably covered all there is to be said but to nullify these moaning pundits about our style.

we went in at half time two up. Our shape and tactics could have dealt with 180 mins of woolwich let alone another 45. I think it’s equally as humble to see them out for all their huffing and puffing as it is to go on and score 5 or 6 ( which yes we’d all love to see).

the fact is we’ve got 9 games in December.. some really tough games! Liverpool, palace and Stoke for example!

we didn’t need to expend all our might vs some nomads in 15th place.

Gotta be honest here, I'm really disappointed with some fans not wearing any masks today. It will not improve the situation with bringing more crowds near future.

It's OK, Hojbjerg was in the stadium.

Out of respect, the virus doesnt come near him or anyone within a 300metre radius around him.

Good morning!

Watching a recording of MOTD2.

Sonny was a good 15 yards inside our half when Harry made the pass for his wonder goal, with 7 gooners nearer to the goal than him!!!!!

A M A Z I N G athleticism and a M A G I C A L 20-yard screamer into the top far corner.

Just saying :)

...and I haven't even got to Partey time yet...

It's Partey Time!!!!

45 minutes on the clock - he's off for a sit down!

wlahhTw.jpg

Edit - A few seconds later, it's 2-0

:mourhandlaugh:

Last edited:
Good points, and no it was time for poch to leave.
Which ended up imo being a little too late.
Don't get me wrong I loved him, and the way we played in his 2nd and 3rd years was at times breathtaking. But your right we won nothing, and maybe after west spams comeback mourinho just reverted to type.
But I still find giving up almost all the possession frustrating and a little dangerous but if it turns out to have been our magic formula then fuck it..
The problem with simplistic binary thinkers is that they cant see the shades between the two sides of the coin, and they totally ignore the fact that in the two seasons that Poch sides were both dominant and beautiful to watch from a footballing perspective- there were also other equally magnificent teams competing against us on bigger budgets and with far more expensive squads. I guess that was Poch's fault as well.
This MO is working against sides that middling to good but I will be surprised if it can hold out against Liverpool whose midfield, passing and attacking players are too good to be held up by a Stoke/Wigan/Burnley hybrid approach topped off with two diamonds like Kane and Son.
I hate it because I want the results, but it's like we are murdering babies, seal puppies, elephants and dolphins to achieve them.

Back
Top Bottom