Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Writing Gio off is a mistake.

He wasn't even bad against the Goons.
Writing him off is a mistake but he had a bad against the goons. One of his worst games in a spurs shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's true that only reinforces what a good player he is, since he made no significant mistakes and played a large part in one goal.
you don't need a massive clanger to have a bad game. His touches were inconsistent, his passing was practically sissoko-esque, and his tackling was very half-hearted, he got booked early and had to be taken off.

Just watching the game it was obvious he was out of sync with everything.

you don't need a massive clanger to have a bad game. His touches were inconsistent, his passing was practically sissoko-esque, and his tackling was very half-hearted, he got booked early and had to be taken off.

Like I said, if getting a booking and making some bad passes makes it one of his worst games for us (after playing a large part in a goal), then that only speaks to his quality.

I’m a big fan of Gio, but have to admit that in the last couple of games he hasn’t really performed that well. I wonder if his approach and skill set doesn’t really fit into Jose’s style and strategic approach. I suspect that Eriksen wouldn’t either.
They both tend to be the pace that moves the ball from the AM through to the strikers and it seems that with highly defensive nature of our play right now and the long balls and Kane playing deep then Gio is largely redundant.

I’m a big fan of Gio, but have to admit that in the last couple of games he hasn’t really performed that well. I wonder if his approach and skill set doesn’t really fit into Jose’s style and strategic approach. I suspect that Eriksen wouldn’t either.
They both tend to be the pace that moves the ball from the AM through to the strikers and it seems that with highly defensive nature of our play right now and the long balls and Kane playing deep then Gio is largely redundant.
I don't think he's redundant, he just needs to up his technical game. He looks absolutely fantastic for Argentina, good first touch, excellent passing, almost PEH-like level of dispossessing the opponent.

From what I've seen of his Spurs career, his first touch is dodgy as fuck, and he's slow and indecisive when passing the ball (with the obvious exceptions), he dawdles on the ball and tries to run with it too much.

Maybe it's a confidence thing, but he needs to keep it simple and think quicker.

you don't need a massive clanger to have a bad game. His touches were inconsistent, his passing was practically sissoko-esque, and his tackling was very half-hearted,

This is bullshit.

he got booked early and had to be taken off.

He got booked for an accumulation of so-called offenses that weren't even fouls!!!

Compare to that liability Xhaka who was smashing the shit out of people, un-carded. Ref had a mare.

Waffle.

He's a great player, but he's playing nowhere near what he's capable of. Agains Woolwich he was no doubt our weakest link. Had a good hand in the second goal but was very sloppy defending and dispossed too easily. What annoys me even more is that I saw him playing for Argentina on the international break an he was, arguably, MOTM in both games. Needs to do a lot better!

And some were very quick to lavish praise on player so quickly and on so little.

I love how this is only a one way thing.
I've always felt that Spurs fans tend be a bit soft in general. Obviously don't want to be reactionary wankers like so many other fanbases, but we take it too far.

I remember how gently we treated Soldado and Janssen, who were fucking donkeys. Some people almost look back at them with a kind of fondness.

Then there's donkey supreme Sanchez, who had one half decent season and been given a free ride off that ever since. He's our fucking Phil Jones but people always going on about attributes, just cut out the mistakes, blah blah blah. No, he's a fucking donkey and he'll never be good enough.

We even do it with Sissoko, we were absolutely set against him from minute one, for two seasons he was a bit part player, but in 18/19 we found a place for him, and ever since we've massively overrated him. Once again, Mou has found a very specific niche for him to thrive in and so people don't want to hear a bad word about him.

Unfortunately, one of the rare times we turned on a player with Trippier, we were wrong to do so.

He's a great player, but he's playing nowhere near what he's capable of. Agains Woolwich he was no doubt our weakest link. Had a good hand in the second goal but was very sloppy defending and dispossed too easily. What annoys me even more is that I saw him playing for Argentina on the international break an he was, arguably, MOTM in both games. Needs to do a lot better!

He was nowhere close to our weakest link in that game.

Who then? Why?

I don't think anyone stood out as being particularly bad.

I thought Kane and Toby stood out as positives and the rest of the team was kind of grouped together in terms of ok, not terrible not great individual performances.

I think if you were looking to make a complaint about a single thing it would be that we sat back a little much for my liking but we won so it worked out.

I know that we often want to single out individuals for good and bad but I'm not sure that every game has someone who was terrible.

Back
Top Bottom