Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea Match History 1908-2013

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

what I want to know - is why is it that 2 people have said disagree, yet you only have -1 on your reputation?

I agree with you on your point, and believe that its the way things SHOULD be.

But - they're not. So if getting CL means we get to keep Bale, and the possibility that we may sign the likes of Damiaio, or Higuain or Moutinho.

Then we would be foolish not to go balls out for it.

Dislike gives you bad rep, disagreeing is neutral - it just makes your post look bad.

I only asked the ducking question.
I think it is like 1990 or around that mark kind of scary that much time to win would be like the United game earlier this year to saviour that again would be nice.

I don't know what your point is. CL is where the money and prestige is. It's where all the top players and managers want to be. It's the highest level of competition in this sport. Why shouldn't we want to be competing at that level? Do you think players like Lloris, Vertonghen and Bale will hang around here just for the love of it? The fact that we've already flirted with the CL once before and are showing promise of getting there again is a HUGE factor in why we have been able to attract players of that caliber these days. But if it becomes apparent that it's just talk and we don't have the drive to actually get there, these quality players will pack their bags and go. That's how football is these days, whether you like it or not. And it's not just the players, young ambitious managers like AVB don't want to hang around a club if they feel like there is no ambition to move up in the world.

Getting into the CL brings in some good money initially (that we desperately need to strengthen our squad this summer), but it also brings recognition. The more we can get the name of the club out there, the more likely it will be that young talent will want to come here in the future. And it makes it possible to get more lucrative sponsorship deals, which in turn allows us to increase wages a bit and therefore hold on to our players better. And becoming a regular fixture in the CL will likely accelerate the new stadium plans, because it will become even more necessary.

We can't just go from 5th or 6th to suddenly winning the league next year, not without some Russian or Arab money man. We need to take one step at a time. And like I said before, the first step is getting to the CL and getting all the benefits that come with it, and moving up from there.

And you know what, if nothing else, we would at least get to watch the Spurs play against the very best in Europe, which is in itself a great pleasure if you ask me.

Surely it should be the drive by these players that gets us there, if we don't make it it's because they didn't perform as they should in certain games, so they shouldn't be packing their bags but trying harder next season

Surely it should be the drive by these players that gets us there, if we don't make it it's because they didn't perform as they should in certain games, so they shouldn't be packing their bags but trying harder next season
I meant the drive of the club, as in strengthening the squad every season. If those few quality players feel like they are held back by the rest of the squad, they will start to look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom