Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When Eric keeps things simple, he is a good player. CB was always his position. Just imagine if we didn't fuck with him and how much money we could have invested in other positions.

One thing though, cut down on your hero balls. Your 1 in 4 accuracy is less than ideal.

There was a time early last season, or maybe during spring of 18/19, when he was playing in that defensive mid role that I really thought we needed to shift him on elsewhere. He looked like he lost his legs and his brain most of the time and was a total liability.

It's pretty amazing what a turnaround he has had and really become one of the most important players on the pitch for us.

When Eric keeps things simple, he is a good player. CB was always his position. Just imagine if we didn't fuck with him and how much money we could have invested in other positions.

One thing though, cut down on your hero balls. Your 1 in 4 accuracy is less than ideal.
I think an over looked factor (though in fairness Alli G covered it) is how Ledley Kings involvement in working with the back four has coincidence with our sudden ability to hold leads. You see him drilling them before games now an where as initially he seemed shy about entering the tech area during games he is now at its edges belowing at Toby and in particular Eric. On Dier I have said for years we wasted two years indulging his Pirlo fantasy. He could have been the best CB in this country maybe its not too late.

I think Eric Dier's cranium is metamorphosing. His head has gotten larger and more pronounced around the upper forehead. He's clearly developed—Ridley Scott style—a protective sac of fluid around his scalp. On the final game of the season he will ritually puncture it with a japanese (or perhaps korean) dagger or short sword, spraying green goo all over the opposition.

I think an over looked factor (though in fairness Alli G covered it) is how Ledley Kings involvement in working with the back four has coincidence with our sudden ability to hold leads. You see him drilling them before games now an where as initially he seemed shy about entering the tech area during games he is now at its edges belowing at Toby and in particular Eric. On Dier I have said for years we wasted two years indulging his Pirlo fantasy. He could have been the best CB in this country maybe its not too late.
Purely speculation my part, but I feel like Mourinho can tell a defender a lot about tactical issues, but doesn't understand the finer points of actually being a CB.

Ledley can tell Eric exactly how to position his body, how to read the subtle body language of the attacker, the little tricks to gain an advantage on aerial duels, when sticking a toe in viable etc. Like, when you say "show him outside", what's the best way to do that?

Not to downplay his tactical understanding.

Needs to stop his passes between crowded places. Was responsible for Sissoko's yellow card today in another misplaced pass from the back. He does this at least 1 time every game.

That guy pulled out a terrific and outstanding freekick and it did not went in. What is going on with these mid tier goalkeepers nowadays. What a shame.... Just like Bale but atleast Vini got it. Atleast we are able to see that the coaching staff are not just practicing counter attacking and defending 👍

Needs to stop his passes between crowded places. Was responsible for Sissoko's yellow card today in another misplaced pass from the back. He does this at least 1 time every game.
I think this is a Mou directive. I've seen several Mou interviews where he talks about the importance of a CB/DM who can make sharp long passes through the middle. Can't remember who it was, but I think he was talking about one of his Porto CBs.

I think this is a Mou directive. I've seem several Mou interviews where he talks about the importance of a CB/DM who can make sharp long passes through the middle. Can't remember who it was, but I think he was talking about one of his Porto CBs.
Yes, It is nice, but he hits the first man at least once a game, needs to improve the quality of that. Most of the times his long balls go wide or hit the first player.

Professional Football Writers player of the year and Sports Personality of the year nominee Jordan Henderson, everybody.

Sorry about the Zapruda film quality. For some reason they didn't show many replays of this one.

It was looked at by VAR.

And it would have been fucking silly to call it.

It was actually quite embarrassing that Dier got so easily done by Williams.

better quality

I agree it wasn't enough to call it back.

Their plan was sheperd him away from actual set piece threats by stick Henderson and others as stumbling blocks. OK he stumbled, but Kane/Toby should have mopped it up.

It was looked at by VAR.

And it would have been fucking silly to call it.

It was actually quite embarrassing that Dier got so easily done by Williams.
I probably agree that more often than not, this doesn't gets called, but watching the below video today with some better angles, I'm really not sure I'd agree he got done by Williams in some embarrassing way. Liverpool were definitely clever and we needed to have handled it better, but when Dier gets decked in the back just as he starts moving his feet to match Williams' run, could he really have done much better there? Not digging my heels in or anything, but I'm really not sure Dier could've done much more even if he stays on his feet.

If anything, I do think it really was an exquisite pick by Henderson: the timing, the force, the subtlety of it in a crucial moment. If the roles were reversed and it was Hojbjerg, I'd be raving about his big-game intelligence.

(1:30 or so to skip to the chase)

Edit: it does look like part of the problem here is Dier is blindsided by Henderson, so maybe you could say he needs to have much more situational awareness and keep an eye on Henderson potentially entering his blind spot,, but ya I'll admit I go back and forth on it.

Last edited:
With the new year here, just want to take a moment to give some appreciation to Dier.

12 months ago due to his illness, injuries, confidence, or whatever he looked like he might end up a Jake Livermore level player. Since then, he’s changed positions, totally reinvigorated his career, and is an ever present in a back line that has conceded 3 goals from open play this season. If he was new signing, we’d be singing his praises to the heavens.

So much credit deserved to Dier, he’s shown that he has top level mentality and I’m thrilled to see him turn it around. It’s really impressive. Definitely not always the most aesthetically and he’s far from perfect but behind Kane, Son, and Hojbjerg’s insane seasons, you’d have to say he’s in contention with a small group as having the best season at the club. Don’t think many were predicting that after he was subbed after about 20 minutes last December.

Still only 26 and has made 260 appearances for the club. Long may his form continue. :dier:

.... Until the next time he makes a mistake. Such is the hyperbolic and hypocritical state of modern football.

Good today.

Back
Top Bottom