Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From watching football, playing players out of position or in systems that don't suit them will always make a team worse.

Reguilon, Ndombele and Lo Celso in particularly all look worse than their full potential shows. Hojbjerg is excelling because we gift the opponents all the ball, so he sees alot more of the action.

Kane and Son of course excelling because they are the only attacking players getting the ball and creating consistently.

Issue is, Mourinho is stubborn. And his stubbornness has cost him his job before. I don't think it'll cost him his. Failing to a win a trophy is probably the thing that'll do that.

But if he would play players in a system that suited them, gave them a bit more freedom and allowed them to make the opponents fear them, I'm sure we'd probably do alot better.

Earlier in the season we allowed Reguilon to attack quite regularly. Ndombele was deeper and we were taking it to teams. Then we sort of changed it so that Sissoko and Hojbjerg are now designated deeper midfielders and Reguilon is tasked to defend instead of doing what he does best.

But I also don't blame Jose for wanting us to play not to lose. He's right that if you don't lose, you sometimes win. Sadly, it feels like a long long time since we felt that winning confidence.
Disagree here.

This is too simplistic and lacks context.

For example, Lamela out due to injury influenced the way we operate our midfield. Sissoko has been the main stay in the team even with NDombele playing deeper. The reason is as we see with this latest cameo, Lamela can be pushed in wide position, but in different phase of play, he's comfortable in central position behind Kane either in defensive or attacking phase. This frees up NDombele as with Lucas or Bergwijn, they're not comfortable in central position behind, but this area can't be left free. Dele game is flawed with the more deficiency the further from opposition box.

This then triggers a domino effect to our full back ability to push forward freely. As Ndombele has a more restricted role with more pressing up front, the cover full back was reduced, thus they have to be more conservative with their attacking run, especially now that we lack recovering pace for a high line, with Sanchez who is rated for his pace, is not good enough.

Just a short cameo from Lamela against a Championship side showed that despite not doing any drastic tactic change, the certain profile of player can open possibilities in the team tactic. Doherty and Davies suddenly look like they're both better protected and allowed more freedom to attack. Midfield has More control of the game, and Sissoko finally looks like doing something other than tracking runners. If Sissoko can do this much, imagine an in form GLC and Ndombele can do.

Lo Celso is my favorite Tottenham player and I like the fact that he improved his final numbers this season - goals and assists -, but the truth is that he is still far from the level he showed last season. When our team was falling apart, he was the only one playing at a top level - creating chances out of nothing, dribbling, carrying the team in the right directions. Then he got injured, then he had no proper preseason, then he got injured again and now he is again injured.

We miss the best Lo Celso. He is the most suitable option to play in the role in front of two other midfield players. A quick and dynamic advanced 8. An objective player, who can brilliantly connect the counter attacking movements without making mistakes in his decisions.

Get well, you beauty. We need you.

From watching football, playing players out of position or in systems that don't suit them will always make a team worse.

Reguilon, Ndombele and Lo Celso in particularly all look worse than their full potential shows. Hojbjerg is excelling because we gift the opponents all the ball, so he sees alot more of the action.

Kane and Son of course excelling because they are the only attacking players getting the ball and creating consistently.

Issue is, Mourinho is stubborn. And his stubbornness has cost him his job before. I don't think it'll cost him his. Failing to a win a trophy is probably the thing that'll do that.

But if he would play players in a system that suited them, gave them a bit more freedom and allowed them to make the opponents fear them, I'm sure we'd probably do alot better.

Earlier in the season we allowed Reguilon to attack quite regularly. Ndombele was deeper and we were taking it to teams. Then we sort of changed it so that Sissoko and Hojbjerg are now designated deeper midfielders and Reguilon is tasked to defend instead of doing what he does best.

But I also don't blame Jose for wanting us to play not to lose. He's right that if you don't lose, you sometimes win. Sadly, it feels like a long long time since we felt that winning confidence.
Maybe the media and probably everyone else felt Mou is ultra negative. But to be fair, he only park bus and counter against difficult teams. He used such tactic against City, Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, but we were more expansive against WBA, Brighton, Palace, with PEH dropping to form three at the back, and our fullbacks pushing up. He suddenly became a park bus team because we played City, Chelsea and Woolwich consecutively. Our football was ulgy against lower teams is not because Mou was negative, it was because our passings were bad.

Maybe the media and probably everyone else felt Mou is ultra negative. But to be fair, he only park bus and counter against difficult teams. He used such tactic against City, Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, but we were more expansive against WBA, Brighton, Palace, with PEH dropping to form three at the back, and our fullbacks pushing up. He suddenly became a park bus team because we played City, Chelsea and Woolwich consecutively. Our football was ulgy against lower teams is not because Mou was negative, it was because our passings were bad.

I might have to rewatch but I'm pretty sure we played a low block against the shitter teams too whilst also knocking it long.

I might have to rewatch but I'm pretty sure we played a low block against the shitter teams too whilst also knocking it long.
Appreciate your effort to rewatch. Also if you could notice, the plan A goal kick drill is Dier and Toby stand close to Hugo to receive the ball, meaning to play up from the back.

Most underwhelming signing we've ever made

This guy cost a shit ton of money and he is not good at anything really. Doesn't create consistently, score consistently, makes a lot of tackles but they're all borderline bookings. He does dribble well sometimes in the centre of the park and sometimes makes long range passes, but he cost like 50m.
Agreed - seems to be a turd player in the Lamela mould
- only good for shithousery and very little creativity.

Players of Lo Celso's shape and size suffer from "short muscles" so they seem to suffer with hamstring, calf injuries quite often.
Van der Vaart had similar issues and if you compere the two players they are of similar size and stature

So what is it?

He's shit and can't be relied on or he's a good player who's having difficulties keeping fit?

Surely we all saw how good he CAN be last season? Or was he just a shining light in what was an awful all round season?

Back
Top Bottom