Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That assumes Dele's sale fee "plus some cash" would be enough.

Grealish is catergorically not up for sale. It would go into the £100m range, possibly higher. Wages would be similarly outrageous, he's got a nice deal at Villa, and we won't be able to improve it greatly.

Dele won't even fetch 50m in the current market.
I find these astronomical values claimed tend to come down when negotiations actually start and the player sees a step up. We saw it with Modric, for example, when he left.

And anyway I said someone like Grealish. The idea is to improve on Dele talent wise, maybe slightly (by paying more than we get from Dele) but get someone who is a better fit than Dele.

We simple need a number 10 that can create. Ndombele and Lo Celso seem incapable of playing together.

I find these astronomical values claimed tend to come down when negotiations actually start and the player sees a step up. We saw it with Modric, for example, when he left.
It's been a long time since Modric went to Real. If the situation was still the same, United, Real, and others would have stripped Spurs for parts long ago. Since the Poch era we've had gems like Lloris, Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Wanyama, Walker, Rose, Alderweireld. All of these players were in demand, but aside from Walker we've largely kept hold of them for the duration of their usefulness.

Look at what Leicester did to City and United for Mahrez and Maguire. If Mahrez is 70m and Maguire is 80m, I shudder to think how much Grealish would cost. He just signed a new contract last year, and he's the king of the castle over there.
And anyway I said someone like Grealish
You literally didn't. Your post says "If we sell Dele and buy Grealish for his fee plus some cash". Anyway, what does someone like Grealish mean? How many world class players of his calibre are there that we can get for under 100m? I'd love to hear your suggestion.

Of course we'd take Grealish, but there aren't many Grealishes in the world in our price range.

I really hope we dont sell him. Best player yesterday and probably Stoke as well. Yes poor opposition but he brings things that we dont otherwise have. Should be starting in the Ndombele role with the latter taking Sissokos place. Gives us so much more varity and someone else that can actually put the ball in the net.

Everyone, praising dele for turning up against the weak easy opposition.. maybe if he did that in the league he wouldnt be on the bench each week..
Was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Why be a dick about that? Assume you’ve been on the player threads of everyone else that didn’t play as well as Dele did to give them pelters too?

Hold on, I’ll check.

No, you haven’t.

He was good yesterday but it was Marine at the end of the day.
I'm happy to see him sold , its good for all parties. Time to move on.

He did do well but nobody can learn anything from that about any of our players. Whilst it is true that you can only beat what is in front of you I think they were by far the worst opposition I have ever seen Spurs play. They were appalling

Was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Why be a dick about that? Assume you’ve been on the player threads of everyone else that didn’t play as well as Dele did to give them pelters too?

Hold on, I’ll check.

No, you haven’t.
Against marine! Lol
Everyone calling for him to be put into first team over a game against part time plumbers and bin men...
Where was he in the europa league or league games hes started? Nowhere...

Against marine! Lol
Everyone calling for him to be put into first team over a game against part time plumbers and bin men...
Where was he in the europa league or league games hes started? Nowhere...
His total minutes on the pitch this season has been a few hundred. Sporadic appearances that can’t possibly help him build form or match fitness. But I am sure Jose hasn’t seen enough from him to justify any more than that.

However, that is not the point I was making. I was making the point that he played well yesterday, better than any other Spurs player, yet you still find a reason to cunt him off, seemingly based purely on him playing well.

Why?

He had some good involvement for the opening goals, got through plenty of work and saw a lot of ball, and I think he'll get more game time on the back of it (transfer permitting...).

However there was also one moment where we had pushed right up attacking, they cleared the ball, one of the centre backs nodded it down out left to Dele dropping back and instead of just giving it straight back or to the keeper, allowing us to get sorted and recover our shape, he tried to beat two men with an absurd flick and the end result was that they were right in on goal and it took a good recovery block to snuff out danger, all whilst he sauntered back.

Thankfully it was the Dog & Duck 3rd team we were playing, a better side might well have punished it. But this was after only the other week Mourinho berating him for careless lax unnecessary coughing up of the ball via silly flicks in dangerous areas vs. Stoke, so I think he might well have gone nuclear if we had conceded there and I suspect it was noted. That's the sort of stuff Dele needs to get sorted and just engage brain and play smarter. In the final third he has plenty to contribute, but as the No.10 hub-type player, and just in general as a player in a Mourinho side, it's his choices and decisions and when/where to attempt stuff that is his main hinderance to getting in Jose's good books.

Yeah he doesn't deserve to start league games at all.

After yesterday perhaps deserves to come off the bench in games hut start? Nah.

He had some good involvement for the opening goals, got through plenty of work and saw a lot of ball, and I think he'll get more game time on the back of it (transfer permitting...).

However there was also one moment where we had pushed right up attacking, they cleared the ball, one of the centre backs nodded it down out left to Dele dropping back and instead of just giving it straight back or to the keeper, allowing us to get sorted and recover our shape, he tried to beat two men with an absurd flick and the end result was that they were right in on goal and it took a good recovery block to snuff out danger, all whilst he sauntered back.

Thankfully it was the Dog & Duck 3rd team we were playing, a better side might well have punished it. But this was after only the other week Mourinho berating him for careless lax unnecessary coughing up of the ball via silly flicks in dangerous areas vs. Stoke, so I think he might well have gone nuclear if we had conceded there and I suspect it was noted. That's the sort of stuff Dele needs to get sorted and just engage brain and play smarter. In the final third he has plenty to contribute, but as the No.10 hub-type player, and just in general as a player in a Mourinho side, it's his choices and decisions and when/where to attempt stuff that is his main hinderance to getting in Jose's good books.
Still don't like the way he tries to go past 3 players, fucks it up and then just wanders off waving his arms around, like it's a training session.

Get the ball back - YOU lost it ffs!

Dele was our MOTM and on the back of the minutes he has played the last 6 weeks he has earned his place in a starting lineup in a game that matter.

I would have thought Fulham would be a good place to start. I would start ahead of Bergwijn, Lucas and Bale at the moment. And above Sissoko at the right as well. I'm happy for Sissoko and Winks to compete for the third central midfield spot.

Back
Top Bottom