Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not his job too though? Your still not really getting it? You realise the role of the number 10 is pretty much dying in the modern game? Winks recieves and passes the ball on. If we played more progressive football, or had players dropping into space other than just Harry and ndombele you'd see that Winks does his job just fine. You know he's not gonna dribble past 4 players and tuck it top bins right? You saw that Kane could barely get a shot on goal tonight yeah? Yet your wanting Winks to somehow go prime KaKa in this mourinho team?
I would like him to chip in with more than 2 goals and 2 assists in 6 years. You called him miniesta the other week so how did he get that reputation as a youngster by just receiving the ball and being a recycler.

He can't be our "4th or 5th choice" if both Jose and Poch have continued to play him over and over....
But he is though. We have to rotate the players. I’d suggest PEH, Tanguy, GLC and Sissoko are all ahead of him.

Even if that’s not true, why do you think Jose and Poch picked him so often?

He was more useful then hojbjerg,son,sissoko and 2nd half ndombele
by doing what? winks had a usual winks game..offered us absolutely nothing, and because hes in a position where he gets a lot of the ball if that player offers nothing then the rest of the team are suffocated...seen it a thousand times now.

so the CDM, the position that probably gets more of the football than any other position on the pitch isnt required to be useful on the ball? interesting.
Your idea of useful and mine are just very different. He made atleast 3 or 4 key interceptions tonight which shows he's alive to the play. His rarely makes a wrong decision in regards to his passing. I would like to see it slightly more progressive at times but are you watching our style of play atm right? Asides from the odd Son sprint, what is there for Winks to really hit? Sissoko spent the entirety of the game marking himself out of the game... Son on the last man, and Harry congested in the middle? Surely it's more on the attacking players to create and take chances in this team / tactical set-up?

But he is though. We have to rotate the players. I’d suggest PEH, Tanguy, GLC and Sissoko are all ahead of him.

Even if that’s not true, why do you think Jose and Poch picked him so often?
The one million dollar question right there.

The fact that so many of our fans continue to defend the mental midget is crazy to me too.

by doing what? winks had a usual winks game..offered us absolutely nothing, and because hes in a position where he gets a lot of the ball if that player offers nothing then the rest of the team are suffocated...seen it a thousand times now.
How many clear cut chances did son miss? You are on his thread calling him a cunt and demanding him dropped for costingvus the game i assume?
Or mourinhos for his yet again negative tactics?
Or sissoko for being sissoko?

How anyone watches that game tonight and puts any of it on winks i find crazy
It's not about pinning it all on Winks, instead it's about recognizing the huge streak of average performance after average performances.

It's genuinely shocking when PEH had an average game today, but Winks?

Well that's just Winks.....

We were suffocated because we have the Portuguese steve bruce as our manager not because of winks

The fact that so many of our fans continue to defend the mental midget is crazy to me too.
Because they are respected football managers at the top of their game who have spent years at the top level, with high insight into footballing tactics. Not spending their weekend editing in an anime girl into his spurs badge.

Two top quality managers pick the guy. Plus he’s got a number of international caps. I personally don’t get it as I don’t think he’s first team quality. Same as I don’t get Sissoko always being picked for us and France. But these top managers must see something I don’t. Unsurprising as I’m not as informed as they are. Nobody on here is.

And I’m defending Winks in as much as he’s a Spurs player, so always a positive there and he has a place in our squad. I’d just prefer him to be in the team less.

Because they are respected football managers at the top of their game who have spent years at the top level, with high insight into footballing tactics. Not spending their weekend editing in an anime girl into his spurs badge.
Two top quality managers pick the guy. Plus he’s got a number of international caps. I personally don’t get it as I don’t think he’s first team quality. Same as I don’t get Sissoko always being picked for us and France. But these top managers must see something I don’t. Unsurprising as I’m not as informed as they are. Nobody on here is.

And I’m defending Winks in as much as he’s a Spurs player, so always a positive there and he has a place in our squad. I’d just prefer him to be in the team less.
Wait so Jose is amazing now, weren't you both slagging him off a second ago?

Ahhh there they go again, Winks syndrome, does awful things to a poster.

Your idea of useful and mine are just very different. He made atleast 3 or 4 key interceptions tonight which shows he's alive to the play. His rarely makes a wrong decision in regards to his passing. I would like to see it slightly more progressive at times but are you watching our style of play atm right? Asides from the odd Son sprint, what is there for Winks to really hit? Sissoko spent the entirety of the game marking himself out of the game... Son on the last man, and Harry congested in the middle? Surely it's more on the attacking players to create and take chances in this team / tactical set-up?
the attacking players are suffocated because we have too many donkeys at the back and in midfield who cant supply them with any quality. CDM is required to make things happen and get things going on the ball as well as protect the defence. its not asking too much of a footballer to actually be able to do something positive with a football. aurier, sanchez, winks and sissoko are fucking donkeys who are going to bring pressure onto us because not only are they incompetent on the ball individually but then they are surrounded by each other. no wonder we cant keep the ball, we have too many donkeys playing at the same time. if our CDMs could play a bit we would be ok. stick a modric next to hojbjerg and the difference would be massive, stick a sissoko or winks next to him and you surrender possession to 9/10 teams.

mourinho has to get a proper CM in this window..

Seems weird that you'd not be in a position to receive a pass from a teammate while at the same time being the midfielder that touched the ball the most times when he was on the pitch.

🙄
Look at the heat map, then come back to touches map. Next rewatch the game especially second half.

He's clearly avoided the right side of our pitch when we're in our own half. And that's where we're targeted and needed help. For all his touches, and passes, he attempted no dribbles.

Quite many those touches and passes unsurprisingly on the opposition half (receive pass back from our attackers?) or on the left side of formation.

How many clear cut chances did son miss? You are on his thread calling him a cunt and demanding him dropped for costingvus the game i assume?
Or mourinhos for his yet again negative tactics?
Or sissoko for being sissoko?
mourinho deserves stick for this game and he will get it. son was poor, but hes not superhuman hes going to have hot and cold spells, at least he has hot spells. sissoko actually works in certain games against certain teams....winks is just way out of his depth its actually painful to watch.

Look at the heat map, then come back to touches map. Next rewatch the game especially second half.

He's clearly avoided the right side of our pitch when we're in our own half. And that's where we're targeted and needed help. For all his touches, and passes, he attempted no dribbles.

Quite many those touches and passes unsurprisingly on the opposition half (receive pass back from our attackers?) or on the left side of formation.
You want him to attempt more dribbles when he's quite often our deepest midfielder right Infront of the back 4? Have a feeling you wouldn't last long in this mourinho side... Our right side was useless today. I distinctly remember holjberg throwing his hands up in the air when turning that way and realising nobody on the right side had even attempted to get themselves into space... Yet you want Harry to magically dribble and start sending balls into sissoko who's legit trampoleen foot whenever he's in the opposition's half? Hmmm...

Great comparison there. Pointless even talking to you.
I know I know us that don't see that winks is the best midfielder of his generation and the greatest ball recycler of all time are of inferior football intelligence to those that see the greatness of winks and the phenomenal amount of top quality displays he puts in. I bow down to all of you winks enthusiasts that clearly know the game so much better :mourglasses:

the attacking players are suffocated because we have too many donkeys at the back and in midfield who cant supply them with any quality. CDM is required to make things happen and get things going on the ball as well as protect the defence. its not asking too much of a footballer to actually be able to do something positive with a football. aurier, sanchez, winks and sissoko are fucking donkeys who are going to bring pressure onto us because not only are they incompetent on the ball individually but then they are surrounded by each other. no wonder we cant keep the ball, we have too many donkeys playing at the same time. if our CDMs could play a bit we would be ok. stick a modric next to hojbjerg and the difference would be massive, stick a sissoko or winks next to him and you surrender possession to 9/10 teams.

mourinho has to get a proper CM in this window..
I don't particularly disagree with you to be fair. I don't think Winks deserves to be thrown in with some of the others who aren't the best technically yet who might other strengths. I'm definitely all for us playing more flair players, and a more progressive style of football. It's just not gonna happen under Jose realistically though is it? I'd personally prefer ndombele deeper, but I'd rather much have winks in the middle over sissoko for your reasons above.

Back
Top Bottom