January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just to borrow this from the Mourinho thread...

still a long long way to go. the title is there for the taking still, however we need a proper CM this window and probably a quality CB who can play out from the back too...get them two players in and we are bang in it. a quality CM to put in with hojbjerg and ndombele/gio would make the world of difference, wed actually be able to get hold of games properly

Silver lining: we're looking shakey at the perfect time if anyone in the club hierarchy has any interest in bringing in/selling players this window. A big if though.

Prepared for the shit I'll probably get for this...

Lo Celso.. He needs to sort himself out. Is he honestly much different to Lamela? We see glimpses, then nothing again for a while. Goals and assists have been few and far between, and it's something we really need.

We need a new number 10 ASAP.

Image-from-iOS-2021-01-14T074002.526.jpg

Hmm as I have said before its a mixture of both new players will only fix so many problems but under these horrible tactics all players will suffer.

We still need 2 x CB'S , 1 X RB and a Creative midfielder.

4 signings which have to be done this summer if we wish to challenge.

Here's who I would sell throughout this January/Summer

Sell
Sanchez
Alderweireld
Aurier or Doherty (keep one for depth)
Gazzaniga
Gedson
Rose
Lamela

Buy
3rd choice Homegrown keeper
a new cb
a new cb
a new rb
a creative midfielder

Hmm as I have said before its a mixture of both new players will only fix so many problems but under these horrible tactics all players will suffer.

We still need 2 x CB'S , 1 X RB and a Creative midfielder.

4 signings which have to be done this summer if we wish to challenge.

Here's who I would sell throughout this January/Summer

Sell
Sanchez
Alderweireld
Aurier or Doherty (keep one for depth)
Gazzaniga
Gedson
Rose
Lamela

Buy
3rd choice Homegrown keeper
a new cb
a new cb
a new rb
a creative midfielder
don't forget another GK because Lloris will join PSG next year :mourhandlaugh:

We had it with Toby and Jan
I feel jan was really the leader and the "intelligent" defender, though Toby was a bit more athletic and had a nice pass on him.

Jan was the one marshalling the defence, more comfortable on the ball, and pushing up to intercept attacks.

Toby really falls short in terms of leadership unfortunately. Dier is more of a "leader", which is rather sad for a club like ours.

I feel jan was really the leader and the "intelligent" defender, though Toby was a bit more athletic and had a nice pass on him.

Jan was the one marshalling the defence, more comfortable on the ball, and pushing up to intercept attacks.

Toby really falls short in terms of leadership unfortunately. Dier is more of a "leader", which is rather sad for a club like ours.
Theres nothing sad about Dier being a leader. He's captained his country for fucks sake.

We have Kane, Dier, Son, Lloris, Hojbjerg, Bale and Hart... All leaders, all been captains. Leadership isn't the issue. It's the failure to see out games, get the next goal and control the game. Something Jose needs to work on with the team as a whole.

Theres nothing sad about Dier being a leader. He's captained his country for fucks sake.

We have Kane, Dier, Son, Lloris, Hojbjerg, Bale and Hart... All leaders, all been captains. Leadership isn't the issue. It's the failure to see out games, get the next goal and control the game. Something Jose needs to work on with the team as a whole.
There's general intelligence and authority, which I feel Dier has, but there's specific footballing intelligence in how to lead on the pitch as a CB.

Dier doesn't know how own task a lot of the time, he tries, but I don't feel he truly organises the back line like Jan used to.

I think the issue we have is not necessarily with conceding goals, we have the second best rate in the league, it's the failure to see out games. At 1-0 yesterday we should have gone for the jugular, but instead in the second half we sat back to defend the lead, and hope a 1-0 will do it.. That's happened 3 times now, and 3 times it's failed.

At 2-0 I can understand just sitting back and seeing out the game, it makes sense, but 1-0 is trouble.

There's general intelligence and authority, which I feel Dier has, but there's specific footballing intelligence in how to lead on the pitch as a CB.

Dier doesn't know how own task a lot of the time, he tries, but I don't feel he truly organises the back line like Jan used to.

Vertonghen and Alderweireld have always been pretty slow but this was rarely exposed as both their reading of the game and positional sense were outstanding. They were both also very good with their feet and comfortable when under pressure.

Whereas with Dier he’s slow, switches off and consistently gives the ball away.

Look at last night.... after Fulham equalised both Sanchez and Dier were all over the place.

There used to be a time if and when we conceded teams had to grind away again if they wanted another goal. Sanchez and Dier on the other hand are not just an accident waiting to happen but multiple accidents every game.

Back
Top Bottom