Solving the riddle?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If at all possible on this particular thread I want to steer away from player criticism because players get picked and do not go onto a pitch with the intention of playing poorly.

And I want to avoid if possible the logical next object of venom, being that of the manager. Simply too easy.

I want to use this thread to try and decipher the code or the enigma that is THFC.

There are some elements that seem apparent. We are a disliked club. Of that I think there is little doubt. From Chelsea through to Leicester there are a few clubs, West Ham being another who seem to despise us, in a way that is sometimes hard to fathom. Does that have an impact? A question..

Then there is this thing called DNA. Maybe there is something within the fibre of the club. Maybe even if there isn't it's enough that it gets talked about amd maybe takes hold in.the players' psyche? Again a question.

Of course we are not the only underachievers. Just 3 competitors per season to win, plus a Euro comp I suppose but we still fall short.

How can that be when we have had the collection of players we have possessed in the last 15 years or so?

So it's a poser. A real weird one because it seems to be a continuum.

You do not lose or win because of DNA, bad mojo or interventions of dieties. Luck may be a factor that may turn a good run to a title (with luck we could have won CL), but to perform at a level needed to consistently challenge for titles you need a fantastic combination of players, manager, staff and backing. We had a manager, staff and players that for a while got very close to great success despite the fact that other squads were, on paper, better. We didn't quite reach the perfection needed, partly because of some reluctance on the owners part, but mostly because we simply lack the resources of our competition.

Right now, though, we do not stand a chance because we can't hold on to a lead with our shit, defensive football.

I'll put it down to Spursy if we fail to win something this season. And I dislike that word immensely.

Jose Mourinho has won a trophy in his first full season at every club he's ever managed. If he doesn't win something in his first full season at Spurs (despite now being in a cup final), then it's probably not him that's the issue.

Especially when you factor in that we've been to plenty of semi finals over the last decade and choked in pretty much every one of them despite going up against teams we've routinely beat in the league months or even weeks prior.

We've lost 8 FA Cup semi finals in a row. There's something in the soul of the club that makes us soft, the only way to change it is to win something. We haven't won the league since 1961 for god's sake.

There have been lots of issues with the football this season but we are in the first final of the season and in a competitive position in 3 other competitions. This can still be a very successful season for us if we make a few small changes.

This is drivel. I'm sorry but its just word salad. "We are a disliked club" LOL I love us. All clubs are disliked. We are no more reviled than any other team. We last won a trophy what 12 years ago...when did West ham, when did Villa. DNA is biological it is in a sporting context utter guff.

We had a coach who placed littel to no value in winning the FA Cup and League Cup he said so himself. He cared about the championship league, got to a final, cared about the league finished second and third in a five and a bit year tenure. We now have a coach that values them we are in a final. What your doing is conflating a lazy narrative around the club with fact it isn't its just what lazy journalists and dim fans say.
Most teams win nothing, hate to break it to you, that's not the prime reason to support a team. As someone pointed out there's no riddle you just missed the correct question. The correlation is MONEY. Budgets are the biggest determinant of winning silverware. Stop getting sucked into Qanon style thinking there's no mystery conspiracy curse just cash. Worse we are becoming Woolwich fans where is this weird entitlement come from? Must be younger fans. We were good early eighties and shit for the following decade, Jol Harry Poch dragged us to the top table. We have zero divine right to win anything!

Last edited:
Most teams win nothing, hate to break it to you, that's not the prime reason to support a team. As someone pointed out there's no riddle you just missed the correct question. The correlation is MONEY. Budgets are the biggest determinant of winning silverware.
A very good point - if you look at the facts, Leicester are the only team outside of City, Utd, Liverpool, Chavs and Woolwich to win a domestic trophy since 2013... and that was a once in a generation type event.

That's one team outside those traditional "big" rich clubs that has won a trophy out of a possible 21 available.

In the few years before then I remember Wigan winning an FA cup and Swansea a Carabao cup in 2012 I think.

Suggests quite clearly that the chances of winning trophies is almost non existent nowadays outside of an elite few clubs with the resources to maintain their dominance.

A very good point - if you look at the facts, Leicester are the only team outside of City, Utd, Liverpool, Chavs and Woolwich to win a domestic trophy since 2013... and that was a once in a generation type event.

That's one team outside those traditional "big" rich clubs that has won a trophy out of a possible 21 available.

In the few years before then I remember Wigan winning an FA cup and Swansea a Carabao cup in 2012 I think.

Suggests quite clearly that the chances of winning trophies is almost non existent nowadays outside of an elite few clubs with the resources to maintain their dominance.
Spot on. And Wigan were bankrolled by a very rich man for whom winning the FA was a priority. I think its modern fans. They keep shouting about Spursy and bottling it. As you Stats prove everyone out side the top moneyed clubs bottle it.As a very young kid in the 80s there was no nonsense about Spursy we won things regularly. Its like the pre Premier league era dont count. Hate to break it to them we are over hundred years old there's no guarantee in their life time we will win stuff. That's not how it works.

Jose Mourinho has won a trophy in his first full season at every club he's ever managed. If he doesn't win something in his first full season at Spurs (despite now being in a cup final), then it's probably not him that's the issue.

tenor.gif

Spot on. And Wigan were bankrolled by a very rich man for whom winning the FA was a priority. I think its modern fans. They keep shouting about Spursy and bottling it. As you Stats prove everyone out side the top moneyed clubs bottle it.As a very young kid in the 80s there was no nonsense about Spursy we won things regularly. Its like the pre Premier league era dont count. Hate to break it to them we are over hundred years old there's no guarantee in their life time we will win stuff. That's not how it works.
I was 15 when we won the cup in 81..I’m lucky compared to the youngsters who have seen as win fuck all! Like a lot of others on here I was spoiled but if we win the league cup this year I will celebrate like a fucking mad man! I’m 55 now + will appreciate it a lot more!! Fucking TTID!

Unfortunately modern fans are driven by modern media and the relentless narrative. Before Poch, there was no constant talk about us not winning a trophy. Once we started to improve and finish higher in the table, someone at Sky said "yeah but, they haven't won anything", and that has stuck for the last few years, everything now seems to revolve around the fact we haven't won a trophy. Visit the shithole that is the Spurs Facebook page and there will be a few dozen comments about us not winning a trophy from trolls. Some of whom seem to genuinely believe we have never won a trophy because they just mindlessly repeat what they have heard. This is then fed back to us from our own fans that we need to win a trophy. For most fans a cup win would be great because we won a cup, for the social media influenced fans, it would be great because they can then win Twitter.

Should we actually win the league cup this season, many will celebrate, many more will bemoan that we didn't win the league and that's what counts because they can't laud a league cup win over other fans on social media. Between the instant gratification needs of the modern fan and the sense of entitlement (see: going full Karen) that comes with the 'customer experience', there is born the idea that we should win something, as long gone is the notion of just supporting the team and acknowledging that we could win something.

I was 15 when we won the cup in 81..I’m lucky compared to the youngsters who have seen as win fuck all! Like a lot of others on here I was spoiled but if we win the league cup this year I will celebrate like a fucking mad man! I’m 55 now + will appreciate it a lot more!! Fucking TTID!
Yep so will I( gonna be totally legless) because we understand that the next one might be thirty years down the line. That's what supporting a football team is its not an assured bond that pays out a certain about at a certain time.

Unfortunately modern fans are driven by modern media and the relentless narrative. Before Poch, there was no constant talk about us not winning a trophy. Once we started to improve and finish higher in the table, someone at Sky said "yeah but, they haven't won anything", and that has stuck for the last few years, everything now seems to revolve around the fact we haven't won a trophy. Visit the shithole that is the Spurs Facebook page and there will be a few dozen comments about us not winning a trophy from trolls. Some of whom seem to genuinely believe we have never won a trophy because they just mindlessly repeat what they have heard. This is then fed back to us from our own fans that we need to win a trophy. For most fans a cup win would be great because we won a cup, for the social media influenced fans, it would be great because they can then win Twitter.

Should we actually win the league cup this season, many will celebrate, many more will bemoan that we didn't win the league and that's what counts because they can't laud a league cup win over other fans on social media. Between the instant gratification needs of the modern fan and the sense of entitlement (see: going full Karen) that comes with the 'customer experience', there is born the idea that we should win something, as long gone is the notion of just supporting the team and acknowledging that we could win something.
You have explained this phenomenon and where it comes from so much more articulately then I did. Your 100% right.

More than 50% chance* of a trophy this year at this moment in time.

If we get none, I'll logically conclude Tottenham are cursed.

*50/50 Carabao, more than zero chance elsewhere.

Maybe our stadium is facing the wrong way and it's not feng shui.

Maybe someone at the club upset a witch doctor.

Maybe the curse at the club is psychologically having an effect on players & staff which makes them subconsciously give off negative vibes to other players and staff thus resulting in an endless cycle.

Maybe it's a conspiracy and Spurs are seen as a Jewish club who simply cannot win. Because the FA and FIFA are controlled by hamas.

Or just maybe it could be the lack of investment relative to rivals combined with club goals due to the bald stingy fuck. I mean fcuk*.

I reckon David Dein might have had a lot to do with our curse....

Bunged a chef to make the dodgy lasagne that made us play like the walking dead and lose to Spammers so Arse got champs league instead of us.

Bought a voodoo doll that made Ben Foster have stomach pains so he had to miss the West Brom v Arse game, where Arse had to win to get champs league above us.

Bunged the Wes Brom replacement goalie Marlon Fulop (r.i.p.) cash at half time during the game that had a substance on it that blinded you for 45 mins. Meaning in the second half he ended up playing like Stevie Wonder letting in 3 of the worst goals you'll see conceded by a keeper, letting Arse win and meaning they finished above us and again got champs league.

Got a witch doctor to cast a spell on Sisoko where if he ever got to a champs league final with us, every time he went in his own pen area he'd wave to his mum.....

All of this of course is speculation, though wasn't there a manager that got a witch doctor in to lift a curse at a club in Italy and they went on to win trophies?

Seems like witchdoctors have a roaring trade at the moment in London:

Anyone got Levys number?

Back
Top Bottom