Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, I agree that Alli might be valuable asset.

But you make him sound like a role-model professional... while he was almost non-presence under Pochettino as well.
It is not like there would be no issue with the player and coach would just be f**ing him over, while actually there are serious questionmarks over his ability. It has been pointed out over and over again what he lacks as a player fundamentally, but some people just seem to forcefully shut their eyes and ears and yell "It is just bad manager, Dele is perfect. There is nothing wrong with him!!"

I actually would assume that Alli in fact will be sold within 12 month, even if we'd get his best friend as our manager.
I hope he puts in an effort, improves and contributes to the team - it would make me happy, but I don't think we will see this actually happening
Last season whilst not his best he still had 8 goals in the premier league out of 25 apperances and 4 assists. Grealish who everyone drools over (quite rightly) has 6 goals and 9 assists in the same season. Yet it was a poor season for Dele. You think we can throw away this source of goals. The idea that Dele is finnished is not bourne out by the facts. Yes he is not at 16/17 levels. But that can be said of lot players. Do you think Brendan Rodgers would be sending Dele to Coventry, would he fuck. If the choice is Jose or Dele I'll chose Dele every fucking day. Dele will either be reintergrated into the side under another manager or will be a key asset for a rival be they european or domestic.

YearMatchesGoalsAssists
Yellow
Red
2020-2140000
2019-20258420
2018-19255340
2017-183691070
2016-173718740
2015-163310970

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this 3 at the back, which I hate.

The only reason I can think of is that Jose wants to play Ndombele as a CM, as he can influence the game more from there.
However, Jose doesn't think that he's good enough defensively, and fitness wise, to play there.
Hence having a back 3, or 5 without the ball.

Only my thinking and I could be well off.
Maybe a 4-3-3 would be better for Ndombele but doubt that Jose would play that.
a 4-3-3 is perfect if it was me I'd go for the Hojbjerg/Gio/Ndombele 4-3-3 as Gio and Ndombele both play as box to box and Hojbjerg can just sit

We have no midfield control not because our players aren't good but because our formation means they just get outnumbered.

You'd think this tactical genius would realise this is a problem but seemingly not.

Last season whilst not his best he still had 8 goals in the premier league out of 25 apperances and 4 assists. Grealish who everyone drools over (quite rightly) has 6 goals and 9 assists in the same season. Yet it was a poor season for Dele. You think we can throw away this source of goals. The idea that Dele is finnished is not bourne out by the facts. Yes he is not at 17/18 levels. But that can be said of lot players. Do you think Brendan Rodgers would be sending Dele to Coventry, would he fuck. If the choice is Jose or Dele I'll chose Dele every fucking day. Dele will either be reintergrated into the side under another manager or will be a key asset for a rival be they european or domestic.

YearMatchesGoalsAssists
Yellow
Red
2020-2140000
2019-20258420
2018-19255340
2017-183691070
2016-173718740
2015-163310970

for comparsion Greelish

YearMatchesGoalsAssists
Yellow
Red
2020-21196940
2019-20368680
2015-16161010
2014-15170100
and James Maddison
2020-21196330
2019-20316340
2018-19367741

Dele is easily a match for Greelish and Maddison even a poor Dele as bourne out by the stats. Yet our genius manager wants to put him on the scap heap.

Last edited:
The problem is Mourinho originally wanted to play a low block which was working for a while (November/start of December)

But then teams started stopping the service to Kane + Son and also Tottenham got worse at defending. They couldn't hold out for long periods of time and the individual errors crept in

Mourinho has tried to change this but we've got worse defensively and the attacking numbers haven't improved.

Its awful and not good enough from a manager who is on £15 million a year

a 4-3-3 is perfect if it was me I'd go for the Hojbjerg/Gio/Ndombele 4-3-3 as Gio and Ndombele both play as box to box and Hojbjerg can just sit

We have no midfield control not because our players aren't good but because our formation means they just get outnumbered.

You'd think this tactical genius would realise this is a problem but seemingly not.
Has Jose ever played a 4-3-3 anywhere ?

I've been thinking about this 3 at the back, which I hate.

The only reason I can think of is that Jose wants to play Ndombele as a CM, as he can influence the game more from there.
However, Jose doesn't think that he's good enough defensively, and fitness wise, to play there.
Hence having a back 3, or 5 without the ball.

Only my thinking and I could be well off.
Maybe a 4-3-3 would be better for Ndombele but doubt that Jose would play that.
He could play 2 ~2~ 6 and make it negative. He instils a no risk philosophy in my opinion so our front 6 would drop deep under him, just in case Neal Maupay played like Messi

*puts 3 centre backs and/or 2 or 3 DMs on the pitch twiddling their thumbs*
*gets angry at wing back for stepping out & pressing opposition fullback when there's no numerical disadvantage*
*throws players under the bus for making mistakes attacking*

"I tell my team to attack and press high. I don't instruct them to sit back"

Any other manager in any other situation I could understand giving them the season.
But when the football is literally the most awful we've had in decades and he's bullying and alienating half the players then that makes the need for his sacking immediate.

Gotten to the point that all camps within the fanbase have had enough.

It's just the new fans who used to support Man Utd, Chelsea, Real Madrid & Inter left making excuses now.

Last season whilst not his best he still had 8 goals in the premier league out of 25 apperances and 4 assists. Grealish who everyone drools over (quite rightly) has 6 goals and 9 assists in the same season. Yet it was a poor season for Dele. You think we can throw away this source of goals. The idea that Dele is finnished is not bourne out by the facts. Yes he is not at 17/18 levels. But that can be said of lot players. Do you think Brendan Rodgers would be sending Dele to Coventry, would he fuck. If the choice is Jose or Dele I'll chose Dele every fucking day. Dele will either be reintergrated into the side under another manager or will be a key asset for a rival be they european or domestic.

YearMatchesGoalsAssists
Yellow
Red
2020-2140000
2019-20258420
2018-19255340
2017-183691070
2016-173718740
2015-163310970

Yeyeye, statistics...

Sure, while comparing Grealish and Alli, throw Maguire into mix as well...
Not that one would be playmaker who actually has to build the game on his own and plays next to traffic cones, other is essentially shadow-striker who is only effective in last 3rd and can enjoy a room that is left from opposite defenders focusing on Kane and Son.

You say "The idea that Dele is finnished is not bourne out by the facts." ; "Dele will either be reintergrated into the side under another manager or will be a key asset for a rival be they european or domestic." - I mean why are you even mentioning facts when you are just randomly throwing around personal opinions?!?

You just look at the goal and assist return and run with it.
But try to keep an eye on the game. Look what is his playing style.
He has been suffering a lot of injuries of late, and it is visible that whenever he takes the field, he does not have the same fast first few steps. He does not have quite the same strenght.
And what is worse is - he is not the player to help control the tempo of the game, he is not tempo-maker, he is one who benefits from the tempo set by the teammates (eg tempo-taker). His style is based on having minimal time on the ball, with sending it away again quickly. That is the reason why he seemed so brilliant when you had controlling players such as Dembele and Wanyama on the side - duo that managed to win back posession lost by forward players in midfield and who could also help to dictate the tempo together with more progressive-passing Eriksen.

I honestly think that he was shining in very specific system in the past, but that system is not here anymore. And I honestly don't think he will ever reach the highs he once achieved. I hope I am wrong, and he returns as he were, and will help us to achieve great things.
Based on past 24 months, I do not belive in this.

The most accurate summary ive read yet. Players effort gets away a bit lightly but apart from that
Some of the players did work hard I thought, Ndombele was tracking back behind Sissoko, Toby & Rodon putting in tons of blocks, Bergwijn up and down, PEH everywhere (except up the pitch), (Bale just doesn't have any legs, so looks woeful).

The issue is they aren't coached, they have no idea how to progress the ball, there are no patterns of play, when the oppo can easily cut the supply to a front 2/3 there is nothing, no other plan or option. They were simply outplayed by a team that's better coached. Teams have been able to do this when Kane's in the team, it's so fucking easy.

There is a saying about "bringing a knife to a gunfight", well Jose has armed our players with a plastic spoon.

Yeyeye, statistics...

Sure, while comparing Grealish and Alli, throw Maguire into mix as well...
Not that one would be playmaker who actually has to build the game on his own and plays next to traffic cones, other is essentially shadow-striker who is only effective in last 3rd and can enjoy a room that is left from opposite defenders focusing on Kane and Son.

You say "The idea that Dele is finnished is not bourne out by the facts." ; "Dele will either be reintergrated into the side under another manager or will be a key asset for a rival be they european or domestic." - I mean why are you even mentioning facts when you are just randomly throwing around personal opinions?!?

You just look at the goal and assist return and run with it.
But try to keep an eye on the game. Look what is his playing style.
He has been suffering a lot of injuries of late, and it is visible that whenever he takes the field, he does not have the same fast first few steps. He does not have quite the same strenght.
And what is worse is - he is not the player to help control the tempo of the game, he is not tempo-maker, he is one who benefits from the tempo set by the teammates (eg tempo-taker). His style is based on having minimal time on the ball, with sending it away again quickly. That is the reason why he seemed so brilliant when you had controlling players such as Dembele and Wanyama on the side - duo that managed to win back posession lost by forward players in midfield and who could also help to dictate the tempo together with more progressive-passing Eriksen.

I honestly think that he was shining in very specific system in the past, but that system is not here anymore. And I honestly don't think he will ever reach the highs he once achieved. I hope I am wrong, and he returns as he were, and will help us to achieve great things.
Based on past 24 months, I do not belive in this.
Your post can be summed up in one sentence.
" apart from dele's goals and assists he offers nothing"

Last edited:
If you bothered to read my replies properly, you'll see that I have already answered that question.
I'll answer it for the 2nd time here: Levy.

Who appointed Pochettino?

Who backed Pochettino to the tune of nearly £100m per year?

Who backed Pochettino when he didn't want a DOF?

Who refused players during the 18 months of no signings?
Levy appointed Pochettino, something I will happily give him credit for, even if he was only one of two decent managerial appointments over his entire tenure.

100 million a year of absolute dross, a lot of which the manager didn’t want. Who, apart from Toby and Wanyama, did we sign that actually improved our first 11 from 2014-2017, when the team was at its peak and we genuinely could have went on to win a league title if we had pushed on? Are you seriously trying to put that on Pochettino?

Ok, so what your saying is that it might of been a bad idea in hindsight due to Covid ?

People get confused between "rich club" and spending power.
We are a "rich club" because of the value of our assets, which include a billion pound stadium. That does not mean that we have a load of cash to spare.

The club did fund it, so it's a good thing for the club. When fans are allowed back in, it will double our revenue compared to old WHL.
This can only be a good thing.
Agree - but if it takes three years it will be a very bad thing

not saying they were wrong to build it, but in hindsight it may turn out to be an albatross

Hard to think why anyone on a well paid contract would ever resign. If you're under-performing you just wait for the sack and the cash - obvious really. Unless there was some sort of gross misconduct charge which meant it could get messy I guess.
This is the problem with modern contracts. They'd happily drag a club in to the championship under the pretense "they think they can turn it around"

Ok, so what your saying is that it might of been a bad idea in hindsight due to Covid ?

People get confused between "rich club" and spending power.
We are a "rich club" because of the value of our assets, which include a billion pound stadium. That does not mean that we have a load of cash to spare.

The club did fund it, so it's a good thing for the club. When fans are allowed back in, it will double our revenue compared to old WHL.
This can only be a good thing.
I think it more than doubles revenue by the way. I would imagine it increases football and non football match day/ event revenue by x4 when you include increased takings on food and catering, premium hospitality, NFL, concerts etc etc

Levy appointed Pochettino, something I will happily give him credit for, even if he was only one of two decent managerial appointments over his entire tenure.

100 million a year of absolute dross, a lot of which the manager didn’t want. Who, apart from Toby and Wanyama, did we sign that actually improved our first 11 from 2014-2017, when the team was at its peak and we genuinely could have went on to win a league title if we had pushed on? Are you seriously trying to put that on Pochettino?
Are you seriously trying to put that on Levy ?

Money was available during the 18 months of no signings, Poch chose not to sign anyone.

Two examples;
VDV comes available Levy asks Redknapp if he wants him, Redknapp says yes, we sign him.

Coutinho, deal almost done, Levy asks Poch if he wants him, Poch says no, we don't sign him.

Both occasions Levy listened to the managers wishes.

Are you seriously trying to put that on Levy ?

Money was available during the 18 months of no signings, Poch chose not to sign anyone.

Two examples;
VDV comes available Levy asks Redknapp if he wants him, Redknapp says yes, we sign him.

Coutinho, deal almost done, Levy asks Poch if he wants him, Poch says no, we don't sign him.

Both occasions Levy listened to the managers wishes.
Tottenham news: Philippe Coutinho agreed to join but it fell through because of one person | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

Not according to press reports, but don't let fantasy land get in the way of your wild theories

Back
Top Bottom