Joao Sacramento

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I truly believe Sacramento deserves a MASSIVE amount of credit for helping Jose Modernise.

Jose maybe is having his Ferguson renaissance when he switched up his coaching staff on every cycle, was possibly to loyal to Rui Faria etc.

Faria was brilliant for Jose. They won everything together and Jose missed him badly when Faria left his side before Jose's final season at United when it all went tits up.

Jose hasn't modernised, his tactics and style is the same as ever. Big difference at the moment is that he is more humble and trying to get on with the players. Plus he and Sacramento believe in the same counter attacking philosophy

You have to wonder how much of our problems are down to Sacramento. Granted, it's not like the overall tactical direction now seems vastly different from when Jose had Rui Faria, but the effectiveness and outcomes are certainly not there.

Not hating on the guy or looking for a scapegoat, but I'm genuinely puzzled by what I see on the pitch from the players.

You have to wonder how much of our problems are down to Sacramento. Granted, it's not like the overall tactical direction now seems vastly different from when Jose had Rui Faria, but the effectiveness and outcomes are certainly not there.

Not hating on the guy or looking for a scapegoat, but I'm genuinely puzzled by what I see on the pitch from the players.
Worrying that his name is an anagram of “Jose sack the mental”

Fair point even if Jose has to shoulder a lot of the blame as well of course.

Especially since Sacramento came in as this "offensive tactician" or something like that. That got Lille's attack flowing.

Some of these first post really haven't aged well. Full of hope Jose moved on from counter attacking football.

I guess in a way he did, just soak up pressure football now
:mourpointlaugh:
Counter attacking football is a viable tactic that should not be scoffed at. Rodgers, Allegri, Kovac, Zidane. All employ a variation of counter attacking as the base of their attack.

The problem for us is that is built around 2 players delivering all of our goals and without one of them we have no clear way forward.

I was wondering about Sacramento during the game. Mourinho’s history is of success, but that’s with other AMs. I can’t remember who it was who switched AM and it became desperately more challenging for the team to achieve.
Anyway, it’s a team game and Jose is in charge of the team so will always be the broadest shoulders for the knife to fall, I guess.

Counter attacking football is a viable tactic that should not be scoffed at. Rodgers, Allegri, Kovac, Zidane. All employ a variation of counter attacking as the base of their attack.

The problem for us is that is built around 2 players delivering all of our goals and without one of them we have no clear way forward.
Agree. Being able to counter attack accepts that there will be moments in games where the opposition have the ball... but if you're ready with a strategy to counter attack as and when they make a mistake/lose possesion, then you have a very powerful weapon up your sleeve.

I didn't think the idea of Counter attack was to LET them have the ball, and hope to spring a counter in the hope you get the ball off them!

It seems Jose thinks he's lulling the oppo into a false sense of security... but that only works when you maximise the counter, and score a breakaway goal... it doesn't work if you concede, and then give up!

Funny, when he first came to the club, I thought Sacramento was gonna be the 'Martin Jol to Juande Ramos' ...and step in once it all went INEVITABLY wrong with Jose!

I hoped when I saw this thread pop up that posters were suggesting he should be a caretaker Manager for the rest of the season. It is very well wanting Mourinho gone but that has to be considered with the alternatives.

I hoped when I saw this thread pop up that posters were suggesting he should be a caretaker Manager for the rest of the season. It is very well wanting Mourinho gone but that has to be considered with the alternatives.

We have no idea about him. He could be good or could be bad, we don’t know.

Agree. Being able to counter attack accepts that there will be moments in games where the opposition have the ball... but if you're ready with a strategy to counter attack as and when they make a mistake/lose possesion, then you have a very powerful weapon up your sleeve.

I didn't think the idea of Counter attack was to LET them have the ball, and hope to spring a counter in the hope you get the ball off them!

It seems Jose thinks he's lulling the oppo into a false sense of security... but that only works when you maximise the counter, and score a breakaway goal... it doesn't work if you concede, and then give up!

Funny, when he first came to the club, I thought Sacramento was gonna be the 'Martin Jol to Juande Ramos' ...and step in once it all went INEVITABLY wrong with Jose!
I saw the glimpses of Mou's lighting counter attack many times over the last season and a half. E.g. against City, Liecester and United (several of the goals were just offside).

The issue seems to be that, aside from just being shit defenders, our lot just don't like or care about winning defensive duels, being alert for 90 mins etc. The performance against City this season was a perfect example of the do or die attitude that Mourinho needs. They're simply too precious to give their all without the ball over the course of a season.

Yesterday, again and again Sissoko, Son, Aurier and co refused to do the simple act of running back and crowding out the opposition when they're threatening us. Never mind having actual defensive ability of tackling someone without giving away a foul.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I am not sure counterattacking football involves your CB's hoofing the ball as far as they can, with no concern where your attackers are or care if the ball goes right to the opposition.

I also doubt it includes having your midfield having to stop and look for one guy to move the ball forward instead of quickly progressing up the field before the defense can get back and set.

And I could be wrong but I think there is some element of making line breaking passes, that may get picked off sometimes and would get you immediately on the bench if Jose sees it.

I think the problem with Jose is that we say we are playing counter attacking football because that is the closest to what it is and maybe that is what he says he wants but when we see what is actually out there it really isn't counter attacking football at all, it really isn't anything because there is no cohesion, no flow, no sense that there is anything plan in attacking other than kick it long and hope Kane and Son can do something.

Some people forget he's the same as as Bale and Sissoko.

He probably can't command shit when it comes to Mourinho.

Back
Top Bottom