Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Okedina starts tonight for Cambridge
Tracey on bench for Cambridge
Eyoma starts for Lincoln City
Parrott starts for Ipswich
Skipp starts for Norwich

and White starts for Portsmouth. Round of clapping (and huge relief) !

Okedina starts tonight for Cambridge, played as CB, played full 90 mins in 1 - 0 loss

Tracey on bench for Cambridge, came off bench in 76th minute

Eyoma starts for Lincoln City played as RB, subbed on 82 mins in 2 - 2 draw

Parrott starts for Ipswich, played as a no. 10 subbed in 90th minute in 1 - 0 win.

Skipp starts for Norwich, plays 90 mins as DM. Debut goal scored in 3 - 1 win

White Debut start for Portsmouth playing 90 minutes as left sided midfield player, scored only goal in 1 - 0 win. Star man in local Portsmouth press

Very productive evening in terms of minutes played by loanees - and 3 goals

Parrott gets some decent comments:

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 pm
Parrott has the game, he's a kid and needs to fine tune a few things but he makes things happen and I think he'll be a player
Yep, after seeing him second half, made me think he was trying too hard first half. Maybe the Champions League winner had a word at half time and maybe said, just bring it down a few, look up etc etc......, there were easily 4 very good passes he saw and made second half but for decent Hull defending or Norwood / Judge not being on the same page. I'd be keeping him in the team for Donny. See what happens.

Yep, after seeing him second half, made me think he was trying too hard first half. Maybe the Champions League winner had a word at half time and maybe said, just bring it down a few, look up etc etc......, there were easily 4 very good passes he saw and made second half but for decent Hull defending or Norwood / Judge not being on the same page. I'd be keeping him in the team for Donny. See what happens.
Nice to hear but he needs a goal.

Yup I scoured several Ipswich fan sites and couldn't find negative words about Parrott - indeed several were complimentary about passes and getting into good positions, but just not finishing it, which was comforting to read.

With luck just a question of time before he scores and then more goals will come.

Useful extra youth appearances in EL tonight - sadly from that point of view Wolfsberger kept trying to attack until the last, meaning the youngsters came on late when there was zero chance of losing.

Marcel Lavinier came in as RB for last 16 minutes on his debut aged 20. Was signed on a one year deal which I imagine has to have already been extended before EL appearance. Will be interesting to see if he gets more minutes this season and involved next pre-season.

Nile John came on as CM for the last 8 minutes on his debut, 18 in a couple of weeks,

Dane Scarlett came on for the last 9 minutes, and the 16 year old (17 in March) continues to impress - an assist for Vinicius 2nd goal making him the youngest player to get an assist since Mbappe in 2015. Mourhino suggesting he plays with first team next season - he's already training with first team most of the time.

All 3 with limited playing time but all 3 looked fine.

Dilan Markanday an unused substitute.

Last edited:
Useful extra youth appearances in EL tonight - sadly from that point of view Wolfsberger kept trying to attack until the last, meaning the youngsters came on late when there was zero chance of losing.

Marcel Lavinier came in as RB for last 16 minutes on his debut aged 20. Was signed on a one year deal which I imagine has to have already been extended before EL appearance. Will be interesting to see if he gets more minutes this season and involved next pre-season.

Nile John came on as CM for the last 8 minutes on his debut, 18 in a couple of weeks,

Dane Scarlett came on for the last 9 minutes, and the 16 year old (17 in March) continues to impress - an assist for Vinicius 2nd goal making him the youngest player to get an assist since Mbappe in 2015. Mourhino suggesting he plays with first team next season - he's already training with first team most of the time.

All 3 with limited playing time but all 3 looked fine.

Dilan Markanday an unused substitute.

going to be honest, I check in this thread weekly and I cannot remember the name Nile John popping up much. I have heard more about Marcel who just got here this year versus the guy that has been here since he was 7.

I don't like Jose, but I do like him giving appearances to youth.

Edit: Also, Spursidol Spursidol I may have asked you this before, but any logic on why Bowden didn't go out on loan when his classmate in White got his move? Has he been injured or just not as highly rated? For some reason when I learned about the kid years ago, I had this fantasy of him being the top of his age group, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Fair play to Mou
In this department he's done better than Poch

Skipp's loan has gone amazing and I doubt he would've got it under Poch. Youngsters also getting minutes in these sort of games is great to see !

I think Mourhino has given first team debuts to 7 youngsters so far :

Alfie Whiteman, Malachi Walcott, Marcel Lavinier, Harvey White, Nile John. Alfie Devine, Dane Scarlett,

There are also far more youngsters out on loan atm, which gives them a better chance that some of them should get into the first team - and that's pretty much the essential next step after giving them a debut, few will succeed without a loan.

Those put on loan who may come back to the first team include Brandon Austin, TJ Eyoma, Malachi Walcott, Jubril Okedina, Harvey White, Oliver Skipp, Jack Clarke, Troy Parrott - no guarantees of course but that's 8 players who just might.

For someone with a reputation for not giving youth a chance, that's a pretty good record after 15 months or so.

I think Mourhino has given first team debuts to 7 youngsters so far :

Alfie Whiteman, Malachi Walcott, Marcel Lavinier, Harvey White, Nile John. Alfie Devine, Dane Scarlett,

There are also far more youngsters out on loan atm, which gives them a better chance that some of them should get into the first team - and that's pretty much the essential next step after giving them a debut, few will succeed without a loan.

Those put on loan who may come back to the first team include Brandon Austin, TJ Eyoma, Malachi Walcott, Jubril Okedina, Harvey White, Oliver Skipp, Jack Clarke, Troy Parrott - no guarantees of course but that's 8 players who just might.

For someone with a reputation for not giving youth a chance, that's a pretty good record after 15 months or so.
Far more optimistic about youth being developed under him than Pochettino so far tbh.

As I result I'd like to think we've more chance of hanging on to some of the better ones this time around.

going to be honest, I check in this thread weekly and I cannot remember the name Nile John popping up much. I have heard more about Marcel who just got here this year versus the guy that has been here since he was 7.

I don't like Jose, but I do like him giving appearances to youth.

Edit: Also, Spursidol Spursidol I may have asked you this before, but any logic on why Bowden didn't go out on loan when his classmate in White got his move? Has he been injured or just not as highly rated? For some reason when I learned about the kid years ago, I had this fantasy of him being the top of his age group, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Bowden has a couple of injuries over the last 18 months - the last of which will have put paid to a loan in the summer or this January. Pleased that Mourhino put him on the bench last week, as although he might not have been match fit, I think it would be a big boost to his confience.

Bowden's a decent prospect, but possibly unlucky that he's vying at the same age group as Oliver Skipp and Harvey White and Alfie Devine 3 years younger, and Nile John 2 years younger. But even if not at Spurs I think he will have a good career somewhere - and he has a contract at Spurs until 2023 showing he's well regarded at Spurs

Nile John injured for first half of season so only recently restarted playing, but very good prospect regular in his England group.

Mourhino has been a lot better for the youth than I was expecting, as I commented on an earlier post.

Back
Top Bottom