Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You said this last summer as well. How's that working out for us? Harry will be turning 28 come summer. Any rebuild will take 2-3 seasons to bear fruit and at that time he will be 30-31 (ie essentially his whole career with the latter part based in rebuild with no guarantee of success). And at that time we will have an even slower, more broken down player than the one we already have. Signs of decline have been evident for the last 2 seasons (watch how many shots of his are right into the legs of defenders because he is no longer able to get a half-yard of clearance).

You must learn from your mistaken perspective last year. We need so much and cannot do it without selling some big players to fund it. And beyond that a club cannot go chasing immediate success to appease a star player. Extended mediocrity is what you will find at the end of that road.

Thankfully, Harry will have smart people advising him and he will be off this summer but we should have taken the initiative and done it previously while building out our complete squad. We might have avoided these last 2+ years of shit.
I didn’t realise that I was supposed to provide the tactical approach for Spurs this season.

Fuck me, why didn’t anyone tell me?

As I now know that I’m responsible, I will accept it and let Jose and company have the chance what they can do.

Sorry.

But to say "Enough excuses for Kane already" - that is unacceptable. Literally google the word "respect" and try to learn what it means.
You know what's unacceptable - 6 shots, 1 on target from your star striker in a 2-1 loss to West Ham when we have 70% possession. He's as responsible as anyone for our string of poor performances. We are counting on him to pull though but he has not, like everyone else.

You sure about that? I think we'd find a way to pull through like we always have. Not saying we'd do better but I'd bet that we wouldn't do materially worse. Remember, we managed to find success without him over the past 2 years for extended periods of time.
Lol

He scored or asisted on 30 occassions or something like that.

You know what's unacceptable - 6 shots, 1 on target from your star striker in a 2-1 loss to West Ham when we have 70% possession. He's as responsible as anyone for our string of poor performances. We are counting on him to pull though but he has not, like everyone else.
He had a bad game, but that happens to everyone. If he has a run of 4 or 5 bad ones, then it would be concerning.

He had a bad game, but that happens to everyone. If he has a run of 4 or 5 bad ones, then it would be concerning.
The point is that he has had a poor string of games. He's been off for a while now. His goal conversion rate this year is below 20% which is average or slightly below average for a PL forward. We should not put this fact/stat under the rug and continue to call him "clinical." He's been anything but clinical this season.

all players have a price, but selling kane and son would show a serious lack of ambition.

I don't think it shows a lack of ambition but it certainly takes away our cheat code.

I know my buddy todd1882 todd1882 will have a heart attack when I say that about Kane, but what he allows us to do, and Son to a lesser extent, is that we don't need to have a properly functioning attack, we don't need to move the ball through the middle of the pitch like successful teams do, we don't need to have quick ball movement because Kane can create goals out of nothing.

There are plenty of teams that have success without a player of Kane's ability up top for them, but they do it by actually having an attacking plan, having players who can create chances, having multiple players who can pass the ball so that the attack can come from any area. Under Jose we do not have anything close to that so we have to hope that

Moving on from Kane and Son and using that money to create a well rounded side makes perfect sense in many ways (not saying we should or shouldn't) but it also means we need to be smart about how we are building the team, smart about who we buy and willing to buy into a system that is not hoof and pray like Jose uses.

The point is that he has had a poor string of games. He's been off for a while now. His goal conversion rate this year is below 20% which is average or slightly below average for a PL forward. We should not put this fact/stat under the rug and continue to call him "clinical." He's been anything but clinical this season.
I'll agree that he's missed a few I expected him to score, but he is also having to drop extra deep in Jose's system. There are a lot of games he essentially operates as a 10. I think its just made him adjust to being a different player. He's made 543 passes this season and in all of last season he made 553.

You sure about that? I think we'd find a way to pull through like we always have. Not saying we'd do better but I'd bet that we wouldn't do materially worse. Remember, we managed to find success without him over the past 2 years for extended periods of time.

Are we talking about just taking him out of this season and not replacing him? Because if you take him out of this season and keep everything else the same I think we easily could be 15th.

Even if you say take out Kane but put Ings into his spot this year I think we are definitely bottom half of the table.

If you are talking about taking him out, replacing him (not just as a one for one with another striker) and replacing Jose then yes we could get by, but right now our attack is so based around doing nothing to support or create outside of Kane, and to a lesser extent Son, doing it themselves, we would be brutal if we didn't have Kane.

He has had a poor string of games after picking up injuries having been way overplayed this year and last and having to rush back from injury rather than having time to properly recover.

I highly doubt if we would have seen the same dip if he had been properly managed and not been run into the ground by a manager using him to try and save his reputation and job.

People ignored all those games we posted and just say the same stuff based on absolutely nothing over and over and over again.

If Kane leaves I genuinely wonder that think? That Spurs won’t exist?
We’ve lost legends before and we’ve lost talent before......did the club end when Modric left?

We had the “best season since the mid 80s” with Winks and Sissoko in the middle.

Anything can happen in football. Anything.
Who knows, maybe Parrot scores 40 for the first team next year

That’s what concerns me. He’s having a lot of bad games. When was the last time Harry really played well? Three goals from open play from his last 10 league starts all three of those goals against the relegation placed teams - Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham.

I know my buddy todd1882 todd1882 @todd1882 will have a heart attack when I say that about Kane, but what he allows us to do, and Son to a lesser extent, is that we don't need to have a properly functioning attack, we don't need to move the ball through the middle of the pitch like successful teams do, we don't need to have quick ball movement because Kane can create goals out of nothing.
And as long as we have that crutch, which isn't much of a crutch at all actually since he can be taken out of the game relatively easily with a simple 1 man mark, we will never progress. Cut the cord, I say, and actually get a midfield and backline. And as we have seen this year he actually doesn't allow us to do what you are suggesting. Once teams cottoned on to Jose's 1 trick it has been hard sledding (even opted for a metaphor you could appreciate).

And can you name me the last goal Kane scored 'out of nothing'? Genuine question. Perhaps I'm overlooking it but I can't remember a recent one. I ask because I actually believe him to be hampered by having no attacking 3rd control/possession because he needs more time to get places.

Last edited:
And as long as we have that crutch, which is much of a crutch at all actually since he can be taken out of the game relatively easily with a simple 1 man mark, we will never progress. Cut the cord, I say, and actually get a midfield and backline. And as we have seen this year he actually doesn't allow us to do what you are suggesting. Once teams cottoned on to Jose's 1 trick it has been hard sledding (even opted for a metaphor you could appreciate).

And can you name me the last goal Kane scored 'out of nothing'? Genuine question. Perhaps I'm overlooking it but I can't remember a recent one. I ask because I actually believe him to be hampered by having no attacking 3rd control/possession because he needs more time to get places.

Sheffield United?

I don't have the photographic memory for goals that some do but I think that was largely him just beating the defense on his own.

I don't see him being taken out of the game as easily as you do. I think he has been taken out of recent games more by being injured and overplayed more than anything. If we have quality around him I think it is impossible to take him out of the game because his passing allows him to effect the game even if he is dropped deeper and one on one 99%, if not 100%, of defenders are out of their depth.

He's had a couple of great goals this year to be fair. But yes, I'd agree with you... I don't think he's as good a goal scorer as people tend to think he is. He has needed world class service most of the time this season to score.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom