Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
Suggested teams-

Palace, 7th March:

Lucas Kane Bergwijn
Ndombele Winks Lamela
Davies Rodon Sanchez Aurier
Lloris

Zagreb (H), 11th March:

Son Vinicius Bale
Lo Celso Hojbjerg Alli
Reguilon Dier Ald Doherty
Lloris

Woolwich, 14th March:

Son Kane Lucas
Ndombele Hojbjerg Lamela
Reguilon Rodon Dier Aurier
Lloris

Zagreb (A), 18th March, obviously adjust team on 1st leg score. If the first leg was close:

Son Kane Bale
Ndombele Hojbjerg Lo Celso
Reguilon Dier Ald Aurier
Lloris

With Dinamo Zagreb I think we can rotate our team quite a bit I think some of like Son/Kane will start but I think we can rotate.

So up until April we can keep playing our best XI in the PL.

Even if we get someone very good in the EL in the QF'S we can still try our best in the PL and just rotate here and there so we can put out very strong squads.

Good that we play at home first

Woolwich have to travel to Greece whereas we stay at home ahead of the NLD , that should give us an advantage.
I also expect Woolwich to put out a team just as strong as ours or even stronger v Olympiacos. olympiacos are a harder opponent than Zagreb so they will probably need to use more first teamers than we do.

With Dinamo Zagreb I think we can rotate our team quite a bit I think some of like Son/Kane will start but I think we can rotate.

So up until April we can keep playing our best XI in the PL.

Even if we get someone very good in the EL in the QF'S we can still try our best in the PL and just rotate here and there so we can put out very strong squads.
I'll just add to this I think the debate about PL and EL which one to focus on shouldn't be applicable yet.
jose will always take this competition seriously yes and I think he'll rotate less than he did v Wolfsberger but I don't think he'll stop playing the first XI in the league in response to the Zagreb tie.

For me let's see if we get through who we get in the QF'S I think thats when we should then have the debate about what competition we should focus on and as I've always maintained with a bit of rotation and good squad managment we can stay very competitive in both

Team selection can only be made on a match by match basis. I never agreed with Poch in resting players for certain cup matches but to reverse the policy is not sensible either. Jose has to look at the players in training and decide who needs resting when. Now if we are say a goal down from the first leg then we need a strong team for the 2nd leg but that does not mean all of the team need resting. Injuries and suspensions also come into it. Resting Son & Kane for the same match is not sensible.
Those that remember 1991 will recall that Gazza missed many league matches at this time of the year but always seemed to be fit for the F A Cup which without him we would never have got to the final.

I'd normally say yes but tbh, I'd say we have a better chance in cup games than league games to get CL next season.
I'd also rather not be in the Ropey League next season so pushing for the CL and just missing out would be worse.

We have to, the Europa league is by definition a competition an English side should win every season as we have the best sides around 3-8th in European leagues, only really Sevilla can get in the way

You basically get pub sides we can look world beaters against every round until quarter finals

Back
Top Bottom