Scottish football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

1571cc88-e901-40b0-9531-d4d22cb6dce0.jpg
Yuk.

In fairness, they’ve had a very impressive season and I’m pleased for Defoe. But not a fan of Gerrard or R*ngers. Hopefully C*ltic improve and next season - with fans - is really competitive. I’d love Aberdeen, Hearts or someone else to challenge them too.

As mad as it sounds celtic possibly in a stronger position for next season than that lot. Rumours rangers will have to get rid of players having overspent to stop the 10 in a row and cant afford to keep it up. Celtic will have new manager, new director and assets like ajer and edoaurd could be sold to raise money to spend on the squad elsewhere

Rangers bringing on Gerrard seemed like a marketing ploy at the time but he’s done a job for sure.
There is a bit of a inherit bias among English fans and media (at least from what I can see as a foreign fan. The whole "farmers league" mentality) that managers that haven't started in a top 5 league or the Championship aren't really good enough.

But going to Scotland (the big 2 in particular) should not be scoffed at. I'm sure that Gerrard has built up some experience there that will serve him well once he gets a Premier League job.

There is a bit of a inherit bias among English fans and media (at least from what I can see as a foreign fan. The whole "farmers league" mentality) that managers that haven't started in a top 5 league or the Championship aren't really good enough.

But going to Scotland (the big 2 in particular) should not be scoffed at. I'm sure that Gerrard has built up some experience there that will serve him well once he gets a Premier League job.
I'm saying I didn't think he would have got the job if it wasn't for his name. Big 2 in Scotland is still a good job and it was Gerrard's first job.

Happy for Defoe finishing with a league title, also think tavernier is probably better than Doherty.

liked the 90’s rangers (though I like Hearts the most there).

regardless of Celtic being classless cunts it’s good for a monopoly to break to at least a duopoly

Its not lies in fairness
The whole 9-years-old is a stupid argument tbf. The liquidation and formation of a new corporation does not erase the connection. Clubs are more like nations in that regard, would you say Russia didn’t win WW2 as it was the USSR of France as it was the third republic?
There’s a relation of succession between them.

Rumours rangers will have to get rid of players having overspent to stop the 10 in a row and cant afford to keep it up.
Both of the old firm clubs run on this model. Sell a value asset (player or manager) every few years to balance the books.
If you take player sales since 2014 (Celtic £97m, Rangers £6m) then Rangers are operating more within their means. Both clubs run at a loss last season which was affected by COVID (Celtic £22.6m, Rangers £16.3m). But if either team can qualify for the champions League group stage (worth €15-30m plus TV revenue fees) that'd be a massive game changer. No need to sell a big asset and the added draw of CL football.

The whole 9-years-old is a stupid argument tbf. The liquidation and formation of a new corporation does not erase the connection. Clubs are more like nations in that regard, would you say Russia didn’t win WW2 as it was the USSR of France as it was the third republic?
There’s a relation of succession between them.
Not when that club has claimed to be null and void by themselves. They themselves said they were a new team, new business to avoid paying a 30 mill debt.

Both of the old firm clubs run on this model. Sell a value asset (player or manager) every few years to balance the books.
If you take player sales since 2014 (Celtic £97m, Rangers £6m) then Rangers are operating more within their means. Both clubs run at a loss last season which was affected by COVID (Celtic £22.6m, Rangers £16.3m). But if either team can qualify for the champions League group stage (worth €15-30m plus TV revenue fees) that'd be a massive game changer. No need to sell a big asset and the added draw of CL football.
+ cherry pick the best players from the minions as is the rest of Scottish football keep them in their place thus keeping Rangers & Celtic at the top if over the years Dundee Utd, Hibernian, Hearts & Aberdeen had been allowed to keep and develop their best players each of them might have had a chance of a challenge for the league.

+ cherry pick the best players from the minions as is the rest of Scottish football keep them in their place thus keeping Rangers & Celtic at the top if over the years Dundee Utd, Hibernian, Hearts & Aberdeen had been allowed to keep and develop their best players each of them might have had a chance of a challenge for the league.
Happens in every league, unless strict wage and number of player limits are brought it, it will continue to happen. Scottish clubs had their chance over the past decade to try and step and fill the void left by Rangers demotion, no team could do it. What that did was allow Celtic to be come poorer and still walk the league and cups every season this the entire standard of the league dropped. Unfortunately due to the existing fan bases and world wide interest in the old firm nobody will compete without serious external investment.

That bastion of fairness uefa 👍i presume that new corporate structure paid the debts off that their club owed. Sure any club can do that. Oh we owe 50 mill. We'll declare ourselves bankrupt drop down a div and build back up.
You're an angry Celtic fan. Move on, it's just a pub league and not that important.

Spurs smashing Palace later is much more important.

Happens in every league, unless strict wage and number of player limits are brought it, it will continue to happen. Scottish clubs had their chance over the past decade to try and step and fill the void left by Rangers demotion, no team could do it. What that did was allow Celtic to be come poorer and still walk the league and cups every season this the entire standard of the league dropped. Unfortunately due to the existing fan bases and world wide interest in the old firm nobody will compete without serious external investment.
Yeah happens in Spain,Germany etc and Scotland other teams can’t sustain a realistic challenge due to financial restraints the two biggest supported clubs arguably are Hearts & Hibs one was unjustly relegated and are languishing in the league below the other as per usual comes out of the blocks at a great pace then goes pear shaped and runs out of steam.

Back
Top Bottom