Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not a good day for loanees apart from Troy.
Stoke lose, B'mouth lose.
Lincoln lose. Eyoma stayed on bench
White subbed at HT.
Oke and Tracey unused subs.
Walcott subbed off 64. Win 2-0
Sterling subbed off 81. Lost 1-0.

I think that's common with a lot of players, especially the talented ones. It's a hunger, a need-to-win attitude. Also as a sixteen year old you're going through puberty, I imagine we were all a bit surly at one point in our development.

True, true. (I hope)

Similar range and position to freekick against Chelsea - and great position making it almost unsaveable. Clearly the kid has been practicing this type of goal so it can be repeated ....... excellent thing to have in your armoury

Did it hit the top far corner? Looks like it from the way the keeper dived.

I said after the goals at Chavs that he had a very decent left peg, but if it's that good then he's genuinely 2-footed and will be very difficult to defend against. Good pointer as to his attitude and professionalism. You don't get that good on your "wrong" one through luck, you bloody well have to work hard at it. Beckham, for all his practising free kicks, had a pretty useless left foot. Freekicks after training is good fun; left peg practise is not nearly so much of a laugh and can be knackering.

Great stuff Mathurin!

Devine's clearly class.

Mathurin looked very skilful - free kick was a belter, went high and dipped, maybe might have beaten a wall of taller senior footballers too. Very neat flick with left peg to mug the defender and volleyed left peg finish for the 3rd.

Scarlett is very physical, will be interesting to see how he develops against senior centre backs who won't be bullied.

Muir looked a useful CB.

Good interplay down our left #11 and #3, obviously for the first goal but not the only time. Mundle and Kyesu?

That first goal - some great possession football, great the scorer Lusala arriving late in the box was the RB.

Seemed to get the rub of the green for once with ref decisions. The 2nd looked a foul by Craig the assister, but great credit for pressing the last defender on the edge of the box.

Zest Zest mentioned Scarlett's surly edge. I wasn't bothered by that, he didn't seem to do much fouling.

But Devine - he's the one with attitude! Got red in the previous one I saw for kicking Drinkwater, got a yellow this time (kicking ball away?), always in the ref's face nattering, walked straight past when subbed!

Were Chavs missing lots of players? They were battered. Whittaker (?) missing from a yard out after a deflection made it sound a lot worse than it was. That would have been 7 (seven)

Why can't Spurs televise Youth games? There must be a reason

Good overview, think Scarlett n Devine both have the it between their teeth, Devines' seems tighter in converting into positive pitch product (that will translate to senior),

Mathurin looked as good as Townsend ever did when seeing him young, better IMO, without the yard Andros had, now if he can develop that sensibly in training...

Did it hit the top far corner? Looks like it from the way the keeper dived.

I said after the goals at Chavs that he had a very decent left peg, but if it's that good then he's genuinely 2-footed and will be very difficult to defend against. Good pointer as to his attitude and professionalism. You don't get that good on your "wrong" one through luck, you bloody well have to work hard at it. Beckham, for all his practising free kicks, had a pretty useless left foot. Freekicks after training is good fun; left peg practise is not nearly so much of a laugh and can be knackering.

Great stuff Mathurin!

Yes, top far corner, gk had no chance to get to it.

and clearly practiced as so similar to fk

Good overview, think Scarlett n Devine both have the it between their teeth, Devines' seems tighter in converting into positive pitch product (that will translate to senior),

Mathurin looked as good as Townsend ever did when seeing him young, better IMO, without the yard Andros had, now if he can develop that sensibly in training...

Better accuracy at shooting than Andros from the few we have seen - I recall that Andros penalty's were as good as Kane, not seen Mathurin yet

Wales u18 v England u18th - live on Youtube
  • 12:00 Monday 29 March
No idea on Spurs representation atm - maybe Nile John as he was in last E u18 squad in November ?

Last edited:
They are probably the only two players who would make it at Spurs. So just keep your eyes on them.

The full match is here though

I've only watched the first half so far but Alfie Devine is way too good for this level. He will surely be a top player. He's an athlete and he won't lack for size. His father was a professional rugby player so he has good genes. I'm hoping to see a bit more of Scarlett in the 2nd half. This is the first youth game against the chavs I've seen where we haven't been outsized.

Monday 15th at 19.00 Derby u23's v Spurs u23's

I don't see Mourhino taking too many youngsters in EL squad on Thursday, but if Scarlett only plays 60 minutes or less he's a possible candidate.

Wonder if Mathurin will make his u23 debut after his u18 performance, and even make EL bench as 12 are allowed on bench : chances of being one of 5 subs allowed are probably fairly slim.

After this match there are only half a dozen u23 matches until end of season, so I'd expect to see a few u23 players who are judged to be unlikely to make it with us to be seen going on loans, and I'd also expect to see some of the Academy Year 2 to start playing for u23's more regularly - although with current size of u23 squad there are not that many spots available.

Last 6 x u23 matches after this are interesting though - against ManU, Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool and ManCity twice !

FYI Squad in our last u23 match ( an away win at Everton) :

Oluwayemi, Lavinier, Cirkin, Bowden (c) (Thorpe 77), Marsh, Omole, Bennett, Pedder (J Davies 84), Etete, John, Markanday (Whittaker 88).
Substitute (not used): Hayton.

Jacket leaves Pompey "by mutual consent"

Another one of the on loan youth will have to work to get noticed by the new manager

not great

Harvey White at Portsmouth since January :

League 1 : 4 starts (all in the last 5 matches) with 3 matches playing 90 minutes, with 7 other appearances off bench, total playing time 454 minutes (equivalent playing time to 5 matches) Also twice an unused sub. Scored one goal and got one assist

Papa John Trophy - 1 start, 45 minutes played

Not as much playing time for him as I would have liked under Jackett

Something to build on, just depends on next Pompey manager I guess.

Think its unavoidable that he'll be out on loan again next season though.

Noni Mandueke (aged 18) , former Spurs u16 captain but now at PSV, called up for the first time as well

Very strong E u21 squad though despite a couple of injuries and a couple likely not to have been included as being called up for full E squad such as Bellingham and James

Last edited:
Monday 15th at 19.00 Derby u23's v Spurs u23's

I don't see Mourhino taking too many youngsters in EL squad on Thursday, but if Scarlett only plays 60 minutes or less he's a possible candidate.

Wonder if Mathurin will make his u23 debut after his u18 performance, and even make EL bench as 12 are allowed on bench : chances of being one of 5 subs allowed are probably fairly slim.

After this match there are only half a dozen u23 matches until end of season, so I'd expect to see a few u23 players who are judged to be unlikely to make it with us to be seen going on loans, and I'd also expect to see some of the Academy Year 2 to start playing for u23's more regularly - although with current size of u23 squad there are not that many spots available.

Last 6 x u23 matches after this are interesting though - against ManU, Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool and ManCity twice !

FYI Squad in our last u23 match ( an away win at Everton) :

Oluwayemi, Lavinier, Cirkin, Bowden (c) (Thorpe 77), Marsh, Omole, Bennett, Pedder (J Davies 84), Etete, John, Markanday (Whittaker 88).
Substitute (not used): Hayton.

u23 match tonight being streamed by Derby for free

Back
Top Bottom