Most over-rated/under-rated players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have to admit, I always thought that Carrick was a bit under-rated. Certainly under-used by England. He had a lot of technical quality and rarely gave the ball away. He was one paced, but so are other players who play in a similar position such as Basquets and obviously Pirlo. Not to say Carrick was on either of their level, he wasn't, but he was still a very good player.

Carrick was a fantastic player, only thing is his defensive side of the game didn’t get good till the later stage of his career. I don’t mean tackling I mean his positioning, at United it really improved. Prior to that he was seen as a luxury player, amazing on the ball but could leave the defence open.

Pique - not a terrible player but not that great at defending nor as good on the ball as say Vertoghen. Had the luck to play for Spain and Barca which meant he rarely was got at during the peak period.

Speaking of Pique, he's one of the very few "top" footballers I've met and although it was a pretty brief conversation, I have to say that he genuinely seemed one of the nicest and most humble blokes you could ever wish to meet. Spoke perfect English. Very good looking lad too. No homo.

I always thought Ryan Giggs was well over-rated. Not enough end-product for me and totally one-footed. Like a slightly upgraded Erik Lamela.

Under-rated is interesting, Sergio Busquets should probably get more credit. Basically been the best player in the world in his position for close to a decade.
Agree. His actual goal and assist stats arent all that great

Speaking of Pique, he's one of the very few "top" footballers I've met and although it was a pretty brief conversation, I have to say that he genuinely seemed one of the nicest and most humble blokes you could ever wish to meet. Spoke perfect English. Very good looking lad too. No homo.
Shakira thought so

I'm gonna say that Beckham was somewhat under-rated. Because there's definitely some people that think without his looks and fame he wouldn't have played for the clubs he did. There's others who think he was just all about set-pieces.

But his crossing, passing and work rate were elite attributes too. He was also one of the very few England players that actually often produced club form for country, unlike the likes of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard. Brilliant player. His performance against Greece was ridiculous - Roy of the Rovers stuff.

I'm gonna say that Beckham was somewhat under-rated. Because there's definitely some people that think without his looks and fame he wouldn't have played for the clubs he did. There's others who think he was just all about set-pieces.

But his crossing, passing and work rate were elite attributes too. He was also one of the very few England players that actually often produced club form for country, unlike the likes of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard. Brilliant player. His performance against Greece was ridiculous - Roy of the Rovers stuff.

I think with Beckham it was more he was amazing for a few years but then declined somewhat. But you are right he did perform for England. Scholes for me is the best of the United lot but England played him on the left wing to make way for Lampard etc, he was badly misused. The tactics we used for that group of players was crazy and outdated.

I worry we will repeat this with the current group under Southgate. If he can’t make Grealish, Foden, Kane and Sancho play with swagger then he will have failed.

I think with Beckham it was more he was amazing for a few years but then declined somewhat. But you are right he did perform for England. Scholes for me is the best of the United lot but England played him on the left wing to make way for Lampard etc, he was badly misused. The tactics we used for that group of players was crazy and outdated.

I worry we will repeat this with the current group under Southgate. If he can’t make Grealish, Foden, Kane and Sancho play with swagger then he will have failed.

It's only going to end in tears for Southgate inevitably. But he should be given credit for settling the team and building a team spirit within the group. We did get lucky with who we played in the World Cup to make the semi's, but we could very nearly have even made the final as we were by far the better side in the first half from what I remember. All in all I think he's done a decent enough job, but doubt he can take us any further.

I think on paper, we have as much a chance as anyone in the Euro's outside of France and Belgium. But he will no doubt pick most of the old brigade and the likes of Rashford, regardless of his United form. He just won't be brave enough to pick the likes of Foden and Grealish together.

I agree with Beckham. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good player, but not as great as some made him to be.
I think if you remove all the external stuff, the self promotion, the hype - football wise, he was an excellent, gifted player. He lacked pace but so did the likes of sheringham and zidane. Him and Neville were superb on the right for Utd, the most successful Utd. I don’t think he’s overrated but I think he’s an absolute bellend.

Very few could ping a ball 50 yards or cross a ball as accurately as Beckham time and again. For some reason a lot of people are obsessed with nothing but pace and someone doing 3 or 4 stepovers.

Overrated? Joao Félix. One of the most expensive players of all time
I agree. Good player, but definitely not 126 million euros good (yet, at least).
Thanks for the money though, Atlético Madrid 😏

The thing about Beckham, very good player, but the way some people and the media talked about him made him seem like he was the 2nd coming of Christ. It was too much. The hype didn't match what he delivered on the pitch, which makes him over-rated, imo.

Sissoko under rated

crazy GIF

Overrated : without a shadow of doubt Jack Wheelchair & Ozil . With wheelchair it seems to be mainly pundits who rate him with Ozil it’s fans

they are both beyond shit & have been stealing a wage for many years

underrated , it’s hard to be underrated earning the money they’re on

To be fair Wilshere looked an outstanding prospect early on. Injuries and a bad attitude ruined him. Irks me that he still thinks he's the dog bollocks though, despite only fulfilling perhaps half of his potential.

Modric should be recognised as one of the best midfielders ever (not just generational talent) not sure he is. Probably coming from a smaller country counts against him

To be fair Wilshere looked an outstanding prospect early on. Injuries and a bad attitude ruined him. Irks me that he still thinks he's the dog bollocks though, despite only fulfilling perhaps half of his potential.
Genuine talent tends to spoil attitude in young players. Getting told how good they are all the time from ridiculously young ages has a psychological effect on the majority IMO.

Back
Top Bottom