Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surprised at how good his ball carrying is. Much more confidence in himself now than he did in September, you see three or four strong forward runs from him per game now.

Same Mourinho that sent him out on the loan that has helped the lad develop so much, as opposed to how Poch kept him on the bench?
Same Mourinho that hasn't given enough starts to Tanganga this season, and when he did not in his actual position? And for the pleasure of having Dier there instead?

I'm happy our loan system is back and running again. But no, I don't want impressionable youth being indoctrinated with Joseball. I want them to learn how to play excellent football.

Same Mourinho that hasn't given enough starts to Tanganga this season, and when he did not in his actual position? And for the pleasure of having Dier there instead?

I'm happy our loan system is back and running again. But no, I don't want impressionable youth being indoctrinated with Joseball. I want them to learn how to play excellent football.
Yes same Dier that started every game earlier in the season when we were at the top of the table, and FYI, Tanganga has played more minutes at CB than at RB.

Yes same Dier that started every game earlier in the season when we were at the top of the table, and FYI, Tanganga has played more minutes at CB than at RB.
So you are proud how Jose has managed to take us from top of the table to 6th and 23 points behind the leaders in only 3 months. I do admit he has done it in double quick time, most managers would take longer for such a turn around in fortunes
Can’t be bothered to look it up but I think Ian Holloway achieved a pretty dramatic fall when managing Blackpool in the Premier League

Not knowing who will be Manager next season which means we do not know what system will be employed 3 or 4 at the back. If 4 and play a similar system I can see Skipp getting games. However if we play 3 at the back we sacrifice a midfielder for an extra defender. That means he will be competing with Holjberg, Ndombele and Lo Celso for only 2 positions. Skipp and Holjberg would be too defensive and it would effectively be one or the other.
It would be a waste for Skipp to com back to sit on the bench but a decision has to be taken by whoever is Manager in the summer.

Not knowing who will be Manager next season which means we do not know what system will be employed 3 or 4 at the back. If 4 and play a similar system I can see Skipp getting games. However if we play 3 at the back we sacrifice a midfielder for an extra defender. That means he will be competing with Holjberg, Ndombele and Lo Celso for only 2 positions. Skipp and Holjberg would be too defensive and it would effectively be one or the other.
It would be a waste for Skipp to com back to sit on the bench but a decision has to be taken by whoever is Manager in the summer.
We need to have a squad capable of switching between being able to play 3 and 4 at the back.

The 16/17 and 17/18 seasons were so good because Poch was able to switch between systems even mid game. It would make us less predictable.

We tried to match up against teams under Jose but failed because the players weren't drilled properly, the Chelsea home game when Son got sent off springs to mind. I think we have the players to be able to switch systems they just need to be coached.

We need to have a squad capable of switching between being able to play 3 and 4 at the back.

The 16/17 and 17/18 seasons were so good because Poch was able to switch between systems even mid game. It would make us less predictable.

We tried to match up against teams under Jose but failed because the players weren't drilled properly, the Chelsea home game when Son got sent off springs to mind. I think we have the players to be able to switch systems they just need to be coached.
I have been staggered by the obvious paucity if coaching and I was saying this when we were top.

Is that good? I don't have a scooby.
With all these, you need context. These radars are great as they paint an overall performance aggregated across many games, for me the biggest piece of context is how the team play and what that individuals role is within the team (but like most managers, they will look to exploit the positives of an individual player within their system).

So, Skipp's radar is good, ironically, especially in a Jose mid or low-block. I don't watch Norwich this season but having seen them under Daniel Farke when they were in the PL they are great pressers of the ball, they are (were) more situational with their pressing (not just deploying a high-press) but would also press aggressively in mid and low-blocks. Skipp has always been an aggressive player, pressing the oppo and pouncing on any lose touches, which is why he's always been a great tackler (with us in 1st team he's only real problem was his physical ability to maintain this, I'm assuming his fitness has much improved this year given his mins played). So it's a perfect fit in my eyes to have him in a Farke team who has his team press from deeper defensive positions and probably his number one reason that brought him to their attention(??) His radar shows this with his tackles, interceptions.

Overall though Norwich under Farke are a possession-based team and from the highlights packages posted previously on here he looks to be the deepest lying midfielder tasked to set the tempo of their game, recycling the ball. This position requires someone who can receive the ball in dangerous areas (I suspect the reason why he's won so many fouls is he's being targeted and pressed by the oppo in an attempt to disrupt Norwich's build-up which almost all of it starts with Skipp). And as you would expect from this position he is passing a lot, hence his number also reflects this.

Basically for a CDM this is exactly what you want to see. He is clearly the more defensive of the two in the double pivot (number 6), hence the lack and xg Assisted or dribbles, 100% he's no playing in an 6 role.

Last edited:
He's well suited to international football. Honestly feel he'd do a decent job in the senior England team if called on. There are of course others deservedly in front of him, but Bellingham, for example seems to be getting minutes with an eye on the future. So why not Skipp?

When we see the likes of Declan Rice moving the ball from side to side this summer, Skipp will be quietly thinking he could do better. Hopefully he can rest up and hit preseason with a point to prove.

So you are proud how Jose has managed to take us from top of the table to 6th and 23 points behind the leaders in only 3 months. I do admit he has done it in double quick time, most managers would take longer for such a turn around in fortunes
Can’t be bothered to look it up but I think Ian Holloway achieved a pretty dramatic fall when managing Blackpool in the Premier League
Unlike you, I see beyond just league position and points. I see the context that took us to the top and also the context that saw us drop into the bottom half, and now we are back climbing up the table and just 3pts off the top 4 and above the defending champions.

In all that it has been the same manager in charge. The only things that have changed are the availability of players, quality of opposition, weight of schedule and level of execution. But to some of you Mourinho is the root of all evil.

But all that has nothing to do with the development of Skipp. The best thing that has happened to Skipp is Mourinho sending him out on loan to Norwich, and PEH who plays in a similar role is thriving under Mourinho more than many expected when he was bought.

But instead someone claims without basis that Mourinho would be detrimental to the development of Skipp. That is simply bias against Mourinho and really not based on any facts on what is in the best interest of the kid.

It's not about how many at the back but how many in the middle. If we play a 3 in the middle (3-5-2) he will get more games, but less likely if we play (3-4-3).

Which ever, I think he should be primary backup to PEH

Surprised at how good his ball carrying is. Much more confidence in himself now than he did in September, you see three or four strong forward runs from him per game now.

Skipp is said to be a DM, but Farke has said that Skipp is being coached at Norwich to be more of a box to box player - and as you say is now carrying the ball up the field much more than he used to.

Its all great development for Skipp and Spurs - he's now getting to the position that he could play either instead of Hojbjerg (ie available to rotate in and out of the first team) but also alongside Hojbjerg - we'd still probably need a more creative player like a Ndombele or Lo Celso to play alongsie them but if Skipp keeps developing his box to box skills, that might not be essential.

All moving in the right direction for Skipp though

Unlike you, I see beyond just league position and points. I see the context that took us to the top and also the context that saw us drop into the bottom half, and now we are back climbing up the table and just 3pts off the top 4 and above the defending champions.

In all that it has been the same manager in charge. The only things that have changed are the availability of players, quality of opposition, weight of schedule and level of execution. But to some of you Mourinho is the root of all evil.

But all that has nothing to do with the development of Skipp. The best thing that has happened to Skipp is Mourinho sending him out on loan to Norwich, and PEH who plays in a similar role is thriving under Mourinho more than many expected when he was bought.

But instead someone claims without basis that Mourinho would be detrimental to the development of Skipp. That is simply bias against Mourinho and really not based on any facts on what is in the best interest of the kid.
Stop making out you’re incredibly astute and understand football on another level. It’s pretty simple you are in love with him and gloss over his faults. I will be honest and admit I loathe him and magnify his faults, that is the reality of our views.

It's not about how many at the back but how many in the middle. If we play a 3 in the middle (3-5-2) he will get more games, but less likely if we play (3-4-3).

Which ever, I think he should be primary backup to PEH
Whether 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 we need 3 players that can regularly score goals from Son, Kane, Bale, Moura, Lamela & Dele. With 2 wb's that only leaves 2 more midfielders which should be Ndombele or Lo Celso & Holjberg or Skipp. If that happens I cannot see Skipp getting ahead of Holjberg.
If however the present system of 4 at the back I can see him playing much more with 3 out of Skipp, Holjberg, Ndombele & Lo Celso.

Back
Top Bottom