Most over-rated/under-rated players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think with Beckham it was more he was amazing for a few years but then declined somewhat. But you are right he did perform for England. Scholes for me is the best of the United lot but England played him on the left wing to make way for Lampard etc, he was badly misused. The tactics we used for that group of players was crazy and outdated.

I worry we will repeat this with the current group under Southgate. If he can’t make Grealish, Foden, Kane and Sancho play with swagger then he will have failed.
We should sack him now and get a coach that is all about movement and attacking patterns of play. We have one functional centerback and half a goalkeeper in Henderson throw everything at the other end of the pitch.
Grealish
Fodden
Sterling
Kane
Have to all start.

I don't think England are as bad at the back now as it's made out. Sure, we don't have Terry and Ferdinand. But Stones is quality as long as he doesn't go back to having brain farts. Keane, Mings, Gomez and Maguire etc are all decent enough. It can then be argued we have the most depth in the full-back positions in Europe. Our strength is definitely attacking but a backline of Henderson, James, Stones, Mings and Shaw or Chiwell wouldn't worry me too much. Most of the other sides in Europe aren't as good as they once were at the back. Everyone seems to rave about de Ligt for some reason but he was part of a Netherlands side that conceded four against Turkey.

I don't think England are as bad at the back now as it's made out. Sure, we don't have Terry and Ferdinand. But Stones is quality as long as he doesn't go back to having brain farts. Keane, Mings, Gomez and Maguire etc are all decent enough. It can then be argued we have the most depth in the full-back positions in Europe. Our strength is definitely attacking but a backline of Henderson, James, Stones, Mings and Shaw or Chiwell wouldn't worry me too much. Most of the other sides in Europe aren't as good as they once were at the back. Everyone seems to rave about de Ligt for some reason but he was part of a Netherlands side that conceded four against Turkey.
Keane is shit and Mings is average but left footed. Nah ...not for me. I worry like helll at Mbappe getting at that lot

Keane is shit and Mings is average but left footed. Nah ...not for me. I worry like helll at Mbappe getting at that lot
I used to think the same with Keane, but whenever I've seen Everton play this season he's looked rock solid. Mbappe would worry you even if we had a peak Ferdinand and Terry to be fair.

Stones and Gomez would be my ideal choice. But the latter needs to get back fit and find some old form.

Eden Hazard.

The guy went a whole year without scoring a goal and guess what he's about to do that again at Real Madrid.

Yet people think he's top 5 in the world or on Ronaldo/Messi's level. No lol. No way can you be world class with those sort of stats.

Eden Hazard.

The guy went a whole year without scoring a goal and guess what he's about to do that again at Real Madrid.

Yet people think he's top 5 in the world or on Ronaldo/Messi's level. No lol. No way can you be world class with those sort of stats.

I think that is because the Hazard of yesteryear is gone. He was incredible in the 16/17 season when Chelsea beat us to the title, best player in the league IMO that season (although Kante just piped him to the official trophy). He was often unplayable, his decline has been pretty rapid and now he would struggle to get a game with us if Son and Bale are fit.

Eden Hazard.

I'd say he was world class in his prime.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you about his current level.

I think Hazard has world class ability but truly world class players don't go missing for full seasons, let alone twice in his career. On his day he is unplayable, but he is also very lazy in training and regularly shows up at preseason out of shape, at his age he can't be doing that anymore.

Gerrard was overrated, scored a blinder every now and then but added little more. Fat Frank was actually a very good and potent AM.
they should never have been teamed together for England though

I have to disagree with that. I thought Gerrard was a far superior footballer to Lampard, his work rate, tackling was outstanding and he was only just behind Beckham as the best long range passer and crosser of that generation. I still rate as Scholes as the best midfield in the Prem of that era but Gerrard was a close second, he was far more than score a screamer and I felt Lampard was much more limited in his game outside of goal scoring.

I have to disagree with that. I thought Gerrard was a far superior footballer to Lampard, his work rate, tackling was outstanding and he was only just behind Beckham as the best long range passer and crosser of that generation. I still rate as Scholes as the best midfield in the Prem of that era but Gerrard was a close second, he was far more than score a screamer and I felt Lampard was much more limited in his game outside of goal scoring.
Both pale compared to prime Scholes. But I think Chelsea wouldn’t have had that golden era without Lampard.
Gerard wasn’t bad, I just don’t think he’s in my top 5 Prem midfielders

Gerrard was overrated, scored a blinder every now and then but added little more. Fat Frank was actually a very good and potent AM.
they should never have been teamed together for England though

Christ. Whatever drugs you've been taking recently. Stop.

In a Liverpool shirt Gerrard was as good a player there was around for Donkeys years. Almost won games for them on his own at times.

Carrick was a fantastic player, only thing is his defensive side of the game didn’t get good till the later stage of his career. I don’t mean tackling I mean his positioning, at United it really improved. Prior to that he was seen as a luxury player, amazing on the ball but could leave the defence open.
A bit lacking in pace when it mattered but a good honest player

and cost them a championship on his own too!

BTW Alonso was a much better midfielder than Gerrard ever was imo

Behave. Alonso was great but Gerrard had far more to his game. He's named as one of the two best ever Liverpool players for a reason. Alonso doesn't even come into the conversation for fucks sake.

To be fair Wilshere looked an outstanding prospect early on. Injuries and a bad attitude ruined him. Irks me that he still thinks he's the dog bollocks though, despite only fulfilling perhaps half of his potential.

Yeah, I know he played for that team, but he was very exciting until injuries and mental issues derailed him. There was that buzz because he was coming up when Spain was amazing and he looked like a Spanish midfielder with the way he played.

We can hate him all we want, but another what if that makes you wonder.

Behave. Alonso was great but Gerrard had far more to his game. He's named as one of the two best ever Liverpool players for a reason. Alonso doesn't even come into the conversation for fucks sake.
What more does Gerrard have to his game beyond shooting and running around? Poor positional sense, average passer, poor tackling, poor vision. Gerrard is the typical example of effort over susbtance.

Alonso was the best DLP of his generation. Starting for not only Liverpool, but for many dominant sides including Real Madrid, Bayern and Spain NT. Even at 22, the Red Beard led sociedad to their highest point total ever and 2nd in la liga.

Anyone that thinks Gerrard is comparable to a technician like Alonso has probably spent too much time watching overrated english players running around in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom