Most over-rated/under-rated players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What more does Gerrard have to his game beyond shooting and running around? Poor positional sense, average passer, poor tackling, poor vision. Gerrard is the typical example of effort over susbtance.

Average passer? Poor tackling? I genuinely don't think you've ever seen him play, other than when against us.

Not one single Liverpool fan would say Alonso was better than Gerrard. Not anyone sane or not related to Alonso anyway.

Average passer? Poor tackling? I genuinely don't think you've ever seen him play, other than when against us.

Not one single Liverpool fan would say Alonso was better than Gerrard. Not anyone sane or not related to Alonso anyway.
Gerrard was an average passer and not even comparable to Alonso. You need to watch more of the European leagues to see what a good passer is like, talk less of a great one like Alonso who also had a great vision to compliment it.

Gerrard was also a poor tackler, more brutish than clean - unfortunately many in England see it as being 'hard'. Anyone that has seen a true practitioner win the ball will see the clear difference in technique and class.

Gerrard is a scouser through and through, and is not surprising that many Liverpool fans worship him, but that does not make him a better footballer. Same Liverpool fans would also think Gerrard is much greater footballer than a dimunitive croat.

Gerrard was an average passer and not even comparable to Alonso. You need to watch more of the European leagues to see what a good passer is like, talk less of a great one like Alonso who also had a great vision to compliment it.

Gerrard was also a poor tackler, more brutish than clean - unfortunately many in England see it as being 'hard'. Anyone that has seen a true practitioner win the ball will see the clear difference in technique and class.

Gerrard is a scouser through and through, and is not surprising that many Liverpool fans worship him, but that does not make him a better footballer. Same Liverpool fans would also think Gerrard is much greater footballer than a dimunitive croat.

Most Liverpool fans aren't Scouse. To say that it's the only reason anyone would say he was a better player than Alonso is ridiculous.

I suppose Zidane being on record as saying he was the best player in the world at the time was just him being nice for some strange reason? Modric and Gerrard are completely different midfielders with different attributes. If you want to compare, Modric was better technically and positionally but everything else Gerrard was superior. Pace, long balls, tackling, heading, scoring... Not to mention he was far more versatile than Modric.

Most Liverpool fans aren't Scouse. To say that it's the only reason anyone would say he was a better player than Alonso is ridiculous.

I suppose Zidane being on record as saying he was the best player in the world at the time was just him being nice for some strange reason? Modric and Gerrard are completely different midfielders with different attributes. If you want to compare, Modric was better technically and positionally but everything else Gerrard was superior. Pace, long balls, tackling, heading, scoring... Not to mentioned he was far more versatile than Modric.
I don't give much credence to Zidane's opinion, particularly of English midfielders.

What you see as versatility, I see as an incomplete midfielder who managers struggled to build around and kept looking for which square hole to plug the ill fitted triangle into

But then that you think Gerrard is better than Modric raises serious concerns about what you think makes a good midfielder.

I don't give much value to someone running around like a headless chicken. I will gladly take technical ability and great football iq over sheer effort and physicality

I don't give much credence to Zidane's opinion, particularly of English midfielders.

What you see as versatility, I see as an incomplete midfielder who managers struggled to build around and kept looking for which square hole to plug the ill fitted triangle into

But then that you think Gerrard is better than Modric raises serious concerns about what you think makes a good midfielder.

I don't give much value to someone running around like a headless chicken. I will gladly take technical ability and great football iq over sheer effort and physicality

While everyone has a right to an opinion, and I'm not wanting to come across as some sort of Gerrard fanboy, I genuinely think you've been on the shandy's. "Not a bad player". "Headless chicken". "Incomplete midfielder". Either that or just on a wind up.

Gerrard was absolutely outstanding in his peak, at least in a Liverpool shirt. A genuinely elite player that would have improved any club side.

While everyone has a right to an opinion, and I'm not wanting to come across as some sort of Gerrard fanboy, I genuinely think you've been on the shandy's. "Not a bad player". "Headless chicken". "Incomplete midfielder". Either that or just on a wind up.

Gerrard was absolutely outstanding in his peak, at least in a Liverpool shirt. A genuinely elite player that would have improved any club side.

Agreed he was a great player. Torres who played with Xavi and Iniesta for Spain called Gerrard the best player he had ever played with over his career.

Agreed he was a great player. Torres who played with Xavi and Iniesta for Spain called Gerrard the best player he had ever played with over his career.

For a reason. Because he was a bloody brilliant player. Suarez has said he was one of in not the best he ever played with too, and that was when Gerrard was past his best. He was genuinely a Roy of the Rovers player for Liverpool and arguably the best midfielder of his type for a number of years. Someone calling Gerrard a headless chicken is like me calling Pirlo a carthorse. Just utter madness.

For a reason. Because he was a bloody brilliant player. Suarez has said he was one of in not the best he ever played with too, and that was when Gerrard was past his best. He was genuinely a Roy of the Rovers player for Liverpool and arguably the best midfielder of his type for a number of years. Someone calling Gerrard a headless chicken is like me calling Pirlo a carthorse. Just utter madness.
whatever you see in Gerrard that makes you think he is a great player, I definitely don't see it. I care more for what a player can do with the ball, than what he can do with his body and Gerrard leaves me unconvinced.

I look at players like KDB and simply don't see Gerrard at the same level. I can't even think of a game in which he dominated the midfield against a top quality midfield opposition.

But to show you that my opinion is not as unique as you think

What more does Gerrard have to his game beyond shooting and running around? Poor positional sense, average passer, poor tackling, poor vision. Gerrard is the typical example of effort over susbtance.
C'mon, you're making Gerrard sound like Robbie Savage here, minus the shooting bit.

el hadji diouf, liverpool legend, in pele's 100 top players of all time, top lad stand-up guy, probably the most over rated in the last 20 years

whatever you see in Gerrard that makes you think he is a great player, I definitely don't see it. I care more for what a player can do with the ball, than what he can do with his body and Gerrard leaves me unconvinced.

I look at players like KDB and simply don't see Gerrard at the same level. I can't even think of a game in which he dominated the midfield against a top quality midfield opposition.

Those survey's mean absolutely nothing. Most votes are probably from salty United, Everton and Celtic fans.

Here's a quote from Alonso himself.

“Oh for sure, he’s in my top 3,” Alonso told James Pearce of the Echo – who’s exclusive interview on Anfield Extra is fantastic viewing. “He made my game much easier, because I need better players than me around me, to make my game better. Believe me, he was one of them.

“Technically, physically, being able to deliver special moments… He was the most influential player in my career.

“What he meant for the club and how he showed that all over the world – everyone links Gerrard and Liverpool – and it’s just a perfect projection of the club.”

Or, like Zidane, does his own opinion not hold any weight with yourself? Anyway, I'm done talking about Gerrard. He's never played for Spurs and has been retired for a fair while now. I just find it absolutely bonkers someone can say the things you have about him and actually be deadly serious. But each to their own.

Gerrard was never considered a good tackler by anyone in England or particularly "hard".

Harrison Reed from Fulham
Everytime I'm watching Fulham I like this guy more and more
And nobody talks about him after every game

Most underrated player of all time
Our Mousa Dembele
This guy is a genious
What he offered to us
No player in the world could have done this
For me the best player we ever had in the club
Ok I'm 27 so I can't compare to the older times

I suppose Zidane being on record as saying he was the best player in the world at the time was just him being nice for some strange reason? Modric and Gerrard are completely different midfielders with different attributes. If you want to compare, Modric was better technically and positionally but everything else Gerrard was superior. Pace, long balls, tackling, heading, scoring... Not to mention he was far more versatile than Modric.
Both Modric and Gerrard could play in multiple positions of the midfield role.

You come across as a bit of a footballing moron. Alonso was a great player but you clearly haven't seen Gerrard outside of a few England International games.

I actually agree. Thought he had great moments but wasnt a great player. Remember he played for the media darlings all his life so everything was blown up too much. Ex players are hardly gonna say ' ah he was ok didnt think he was good as the media made out' now are they.
Always remember the 06 final. Gerrard gets all the praise but when haman came on he was outstanding but gerrard got all the praise

Under rated henrik larsson. Not in scotland but everywhere else. Went on to do great jobs for barca and man u too. Excellent scoring record for sweden

I actually agree. Thought he had great moments but wasnt a great player. Remember he played for the media darlings all his life so everything was blown up too much. Ex players are hardly gonna say ' ah he was ok didnt think he was good as the media made out' now are they.
Always remember the 06 final. Gerrard gets all the praise but when haman came on he was outstanding but gerrard got all the praise

So the likes of Suarez, Alonso and Torres are basically just being nice by calling him the best player they have played with? That makes absolutely zero sense.

Some of the stuff people come out with here is completely insane.

Back
Top Bottom