Most over-rated/under-rated players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Both Modric and Gerrard could play in multiple positions of the midfield role.

And Gerrard could also play elsewhere other than midfield, which makes him far more versatile. Don't remember Modric ever playing at right-back or as a second striker on occasions. Not only playing there but also still often being the best player on the pitch.

And Gerrard could also play elsewhere other than midfield, which makes him far more versatile. Don't remember Modric ever playing at right-back or as a second striker on occasions. Not only playing there but also still often being the best player on the pitch.
Are you saying Gerrard was better player than Modric?

I hope not.

Are you saying Gerrard was better player than Modric?

I hope not.

Different players and shouldn't be compared. But out of the two I'd say Gerrard was the better player overall. Both world-class but Gerrard elevated Liverpool more than Modric did for us or Real Madrid if I'm not being biased. But it's like comparing Suarez with Batistuta. Prefer to just call them both world-class as they offer completely different strengths to each other, and could easily play together in the same midfield.

Different players and shouldn't be compared. But out of the two I'd say Gerrard was the better player overall. Both world-class but Gerrard elevated Liverpool more than Modric did for us or Real Madrid if I'm not being biased. But it's like comparing Suarez with Batistuta. Prefer to just call them both world-class as they offer completely different strengths to each other, and could easily play together in the same midfield.

Well whatever the argument between the two of them in my view Scholes was better than both Modric and Gerrard. I have seen all three live on several occasions (well Modric many games at Spurs) and Scholes was a different level technically. I didn’t see Zidane live, would love to have seen him but Scholes is the best player I have seen in the premier league.

Well whatever the argument between the two of them in my view Scholes was better than both Modric and Gerrard. I have seen all three live on several occasions (well Modric many games at Spurs) and Scholes was a different level technically. I didn’t see Zidane live, would love to have seen him but Scholes is the best player I have seen in the premier league.

Well I'm not going to argue with that. I certainly think out of the usual three that regularly get mentioned here, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes, the latter was the only one that could really dictate the tempo of a game in the way that players like Prlo, Alonso and Modric could. Gerrard was much more everything at 100mph and Lampard was somewhere in-between. All three were world-class though for the different things they offered their teams.

Well I'm not going to argue with that. I certainly think out of the usual three that regularly get mentioned here, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes, the latter was the only one that could really dictate the tempo of a game in the way that players like Prlo, Alonso and Modric could. Gerrard was much more everything at 100mph and Lampard was somewhere in-between. All three were world-class though for the different things they offered their teams.

Scholes basically did both at his peak, he ran the game from deep like Modric but could assist, score and get forward like Gerrard.

England even played him on the left wing. 🤦‍♂️, how we used that generation of players was a national joke.

Good Lord.

It's not even comparable.

Gerrard was a great player, but not on the Modric level, never.

How did he not elevate Madrid? They won 4CL ffs with him as the best midfielder.

Gerrad wasn't even better than Scholes.

Modric won everything and got rhe smallest country ever to be part of WC Final, while Gerrard with England did, what?

Stop the nonsense.

Good Lord.

How did he not elevate Madrid? They won 4CL ffs with him as the best midfielder.

Modric won everything and got rhe smallest country ever to be part of WC Final, while Gerrard with England did, what?

Stop the nonsense.
Gerrard was a better overall player than that rat-faced fuckwit midget.

Good Lord.

Stop the nonsense.

Clearly your bias knows no bounds. Probably think Eriksen was better than Gerrard too.

Clearly your bias knows no bounds. Probably think Eriksen was better than Gerrard too.
Yeah cuz Eriksen is on level with Modric lol

He won fucking Balon'd Or or whatever is called.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks that Gerrard was better player than Modric has no fucking clue about this sport.

It's not bias, it's facts. Ask any manager or former player.
You're rhe one who is biased.

It's like saying Gerrard is on par with Xavi lol.

Yeah cuz Eriksen is on level with Modric lol

He won fucking Balon'd Or or whatever is called.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks that Gerrard was better player than Modric has no fucking clue about this sport.

It's not bias, it's facts. Ask any manager or former player.
You're rhe one who is biased.

It's like saying Gerrard is on par with Xavi lol.

"Ask any manager or former player"

Ask them what? Do you even realise how silly you sound? And I'm biased towards Gerrard? That makes absolutely no sense.

I have no idea how this even became a Gerrard vs Modric debate. You're talking about a player that scored more goals than Modric has had shots at goal. Go compare him to Iniesta, that's a much more sensible comparison.

Ask them what? Do you even realise how silly you sound? And I'm biased towards Gerrard? That makes absolutely no sense.

I have no idea how this even became a Gerrard vs Modric debate. You're talking about a player that scored more goals than Modric has had shots at goal. Go compare him to Iniesta, that's a much more sensible comparison.
CroSpurs CroSpurs is obviously going to be a huge fan of the Chelsea-loving rat, and for good reason as he's a brilliant player.

None of us have much love for Gerrard. He was pretty mediocre for England as well. But he was obviously one of the greats during his time with Liverpool.

They are both midfielders, we are talking who is higher on all time list.
Of course they are bit different players, but even with that, you can say who's better.
Well, Xavi didn't score tons of goals, just like Scholes or Pirlo, but we all know their worth.

Again.
Modric was the best modfielder of the team that won CL 3x in a row, with another CL previous. He was the best player of World Cup and led country of 4M people to the final. Won 2 awards, FIFA and France Football for the best player in 2018.

Sorry, but if you say Gerarrd was better overall player I'm gonna respond to it.

Yes, I'm biased, but honestly, first time I hear someone claiming Gerrard is better player. Outside of Liverpool or England, probably no-one thinks that.

CroSpurs CroSpurs is obviously going to be a huge fan of the Chelsea-loving rat, and for good reason as he's a brilliant player.

None of us have much love for Gerrard. He was pretty mediocre for England as well. But he was obviously one of the greats during his time with Liverpool.
Sure he was a great player. Just like Lampard was or Scholes. Nothing against that. One of the best midfielders England had.
But to say he's better than Modric. Come on. And I don't even like the guy that much, you two suprised me with that answer Hahah

Just don't get that how anybody that watches football, and I'm talking not just Spurs games, can say anything else other than Gerrard was unbelievable. Modric has clearly been a wonderful player too. But to say either is so much better than the other is just silly. To compare them directly is madness.

But if you're choosing a player soley to lift a team up and produce something out of nothing, to win a game for your side, you'd have to be an imbecile to choose Modric over Gerrard. If you're looking for one of them to control play and link with team-mates, Modric is obviously head and shoulders the better option.

But Modric a much better player than Gerrard? Nah. Get the fuck out with that biased shit. And trophies don't come into the conversation otherwise we're saying Gary Neville is one of the best right-backs ever. (as decent as he was)

Just don't get that how anybody that watches football, and I'm talking not just Spurs games, can say anything else other than Gerrard was unbelievable. Modric has clearly been a wonderful player too. But to say either is so much better than the other is just silly. To compare them directly is madness.

But if you're choosing a player soley to lift a team up and produce something out of nothing, to win a game for your side, you'd have to be an imbecile to choose Modric over Gerrard. If you're looking for one of them to control play and link with team-mates, Modric is obviously head and shoulders the better option.

But Modric a much better player than Gerrard? Nah. Get the fuck out with that biased shit. And trophies don't come into the conversation otherwise we're saying Gary Neville is one of the best right-backs ever. (as decent as he was)
Biased?

Modric wasn't some guy on Real Madrid squad. He was and still is their best midfielder. You cannot compare Neville to a player important to team like Modric was.

The best midfielder of the team rhat will go down in history books. Yeah, Gary Neville like, and then I'm biased...

What about leading team to national glory. Heard somewhere that England had amazing set of players, but Gerrad lifted them to... quatter finals 😂

That's like saying, hey Gerrard can score goals, so he's better than Xavi or Iniesta. Fucking bollocks.

You come across as a bit of a footballing moron. Alonso was a great player but you clearly haven't seen Gerrard outside of a few England International games.
If you have actual evidence in support of the greatness of Gerrard, please feel free to share, but leave the personal attacks behind in the confines of your mind.

If you have actual evidence in support of the greatness of Gerrard, please feel free to share, but leave the personal attacks behind in the confines of your mind.

I can answer for him for now. The fact that he's rated as one of the two greatest ever Liverpool players? And no, it's not because he's a Scouser. How about coming third for the Ballon d'Or in 2005? Or the fact that the same year he won the UEFA Club footballer of the year award. How about being named Liverpool's player of the season on 4 or 5 occasions, and the UEFA team of the year on a few occasions? Does being man of the match in a Champions League final mean anything at all? Or winning an FA Cup final virtually by yourself when he put in one of the best individual performances you will ever see against West Ham?

I literally found most of that information within 2 minutes on Wikipedia. But I think the fact that he's arguably Liverpool's best ever player say's an awful lot without the rest, considering their history.

Biased?

Modric wasn't some guy on Real Madrid squad. He was and still is their best midfielder. You cannot compare Neville to a player important to team like Modric was.

The best midfielder of the team rhat will go down in history books. Yeah, Gary Neville like, and then I'm biased...

What about leading team to national glory. Heard somewhere that England had amazing set of players, but Gerrad lifted them to... quatter finals 😂

That's like saying, hey Gerrard can score goals, so he's better than Xavi or Iniesta. Fucking bollocks.

Wait, I'm guessing the Cro part of your name which I've just noticed means your Croatian? That explains everything. Silly me.

Must be something in your water over there. I'd haver it checked if I was you.

Back
Top Bottom