If Reguilón signs, a move to 3-5-2 is best option

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The solution is to start playing our best players, not changing the formation which fits one player, who is our 10th or 11th best player.

A MF with PEH-Lo Celso-Ndombele is what is by far the best option for us. If Lo Celso and Ndombele are not fit enough to play every game then bring in similar players in January who are.

Moura and Lamela can start in Europa and should never see another starting spot in the PL as long as Bale and Bergwijn are healthy.

Dier is complete garbage but going to play so not worth addressing as Jose will never drop him.

Reguilon has been great, by far our best signing. He is among, if not the, best LB's in the league. He is a true FB and there is zero need to move him to LWB, as he has zero issues playing as a traditional LB.

A move to a 3-5-2 means we are taking off better players to put worse players on. That makes little sense.
I already said that if Lo Celso and Ndombele are in the same team then 4-3-3 is the best option.
However, if Jose doesn't trust them to both start, I think 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 is something we can try out.

You say Reguilon is a good LB, but I think there's untapped potential. Bale started out as a LB too.

Give one game of Reguilon and Doherty at wingbacks and people could change their mind. Doherty did great there for Wolves, while Reguilon would be lethal. Look at how well Lamptey has done with that freedom.

Bale isn't in yet fit to play in our first XI right now, so 3-5-2 gives us the option of Hojbjerg GLC Ndombele midfield. With a back 3 we don't really need Sissoko.

It doesn't for the time being... (See my first post to you.)

I already said that if Lo Celso and Ndombele are in the same team then 4-3-3 is the best option.
However, if Jose doesn't trust them to both start, I think 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 is something we can try out.

You say Reguilon is a good LB, but I think there's untapped potential. Bale started out as a LB too.

If Jose doesn't trust them he should be shown the door. Makes no sense to change the formation to get worse players into the starting 11.

The solution is to start playing our best players, not changing the formation which fits one player, who is our 10th or 11th best player.

A MF with PEH-Lo Celso-Ndombele is what is by far the best option for us. If Lo Celso and Ndombele are not fit enough to play every game then bring in similar players in January who are.

Moura and Lamela can start in Europa and should never see another starting spot in the PL as long as Bale and Bergwijn are healthy.

Dier is complete garbage but going to play so not worth addressing as Jose will never drop him.

Reguilon has been great, by far our best signing. He is among, if not the, best LB's in the league. He is a true FB and there is zero need to move him to LWB, as he has zero issues playing as a traditional LB.

A move to a 3-5-2 means we are taking off better players to put worse players on. That makes little sense.
He stated this week that they CAN both play together once they are both full fit.

Ndombele himself also said this week that he's still not 100% and Gio obviously isn't the way his game-time is being so strictly rationed.

I don't think we'll see it for 90mins in crunch games, but if chasing a goal or against a parked bus then it seems likely sooner or later.

tenor.gif

Bumping this thread as I think Jose not moving to this formation was one of his fatal mistakes.

The benefits of Reguilon & Doherty/ Aurier as wing backs is obvious...

But others would benefit too. I feel like Tanganga is the perfect player to be RCB in a back 3. He's not attacking enough to be a RB, but not yet trusted enough to be CB in a back 4.

Bumping this thread as I think Jose not moving to this formation was one of his fatal mistakes.

The benefits of Reguilon & Doherty/ Aurier as wing backs is obvious...

But others would benefit too. I feel like Tanganga is the perfect player to be RCB in a back 3. He's not attacking enough to be a RB, but not yet trusted enough to be CB in a back 4.
Agree - also means we can get away with playing Davies if needed

Does anyone remember our performances against the Dippers and Brighton, where we played a back 3?

Absolute shite.
No doubt we've had poor performances with it. And I wouldn't make a massive case for playing that formation. But - it's a formation that can be good if you train properly to implement it on match day. I've little faith in current management doing much of anything, but if a new coach wanted to play with three cb's and wingbacks it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

No doubt we've had poor performances with it. And I wouldn't make a massive case for playing that formation. But - it's a formation that can be good if you train properly to implement it on match day. I've little faith in current management doing much of anything, but if a new coach wanted to play with three cb's and wingbacks it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.
Thing is that to play 3 atb, you need a real top quality DM, one who can do everything.

We don't have the quality of players to play that system, again only my opinion

Does anyone remember our performances against the Dippers and Brighton, where we played a back 3?

Absolute shite.
We played 3-4-3 in both those matches, rather than 3-5-2 as I'm suggesting.

Against Brighton our wing backs were Sissoko and Davies. Against Liverpool we had Doherty at LWB.

It's frustrating that both the matches this season where we've tried 3 at the back have been matches where Reguilon didn't play. His attacking ability would be crucial to that formation.

We played 3-4-3 in both those matches, rather than 3-5-2 as I'm suggesting.

Against Brighton our wing backs were Sissoko and Davies. Against Liverpool we had Doherty at LWB.

It's frustrating that both the matches this season where we've tried 3 at the back have been matches where Reguilon didn't play. His attacking ability would be crucial to that formation.
Agree with that, he's great going forward.
I've always had a few reservations about his defending.

I just don't think PEH has the quality to play as a lone DM in a 5. I do like him though. So adding another DM in there will mean sacrificing a more creative player.

If you play 3 at the back you have an extra CB for a midfielder. You need quality attacking FB's that create real chances. Reguilon does but all those that play RB are suspect and you end up sacrificing Ndombele or Lo Celso. With Kane dropping back and Moura and Son being titches. Any crosses from fb's are wasted. Might work if Vinny played but he is not as good as Moura or Son and we lose out in other areas.
It might suit Reguilon but not the rest of the team.

If you play 3 at the back you have an extra CB for a midfielder. You need quality attacking FB's that create real chances. Reguilon does but all those that play RB are suspect and you end up sacrificing Ndombele or Lo Celso. With Kane dropping back and Moura and Son being titches. Any crosses from fb's are wasted. Might work if Vinny played but he is not as good as Moura or Son and we lose out in other areas.
It might suit Reguilon but not the rest of the team.
Lucas Vazquez, who has been on very good form for Madrid this season at RB, can be signed on a free to play RWB. Meanwhile Andersen is a great ball playing CB, available for around £25M.

Kane Son
Reguilon Ndombele Hojbjerg LoCelso Vazquez
Rodon Andersen Tanganga
Lloris

Back
Top Bottom