Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apart from being useful at carrying the ball forward, he is bringing almost nothing to the table. It is very worrying.
To be fair I'm not going to judge him on the last 2 . Been out for 3 months so needs time.

Was quite promising at the start of the season , played really well in the EL and scored some goals actually.

I think if our midfield setup was better him + Tanguy would look better.

What is tending to happen is that he is playing at RM right now or if not right mid then he plays really deep midfield. Why can't he just play in a 3 with Tanguy like the way most top teams play

To be fair I'm not going to judge him on the last 2 . Been out for 3 months so needs time.

Was quite promising at the start of the season , played really well in the EL and scored some goals actually.
I'm not judging him on 2 games. Ever since the restart last year, I have been deeply concerned by his lack of creativity/vision. The other side of it is that he is always coming back from an injury.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I don't care what he did in the EL against farmers.

I'm not judging him on 2 games. Ever since the restart last year, I have been deeply concerned by his lack of creativity/vision. The other side of it is that he is always coming back from an injury.

And I don't mean to be rude, but I don't care what he did in the EL against farmers.
What I mean by the EL is that when he's taking up a more advanced position or playing where I believe he is best suited he does better.

I think he played really well last year for the 'middle part of the season' but yeah hasn't been too impressive in the Premier league.

I suppose the issue with Lo Celso is what do we expect with him , what sort of numbers should we expect from him? Even myself I'm not sure.

Usually I agree with your assessments but I think we are watching a totally different player.

GLC has been great for us. His creativity when he is able to play up with Kane and Son stands out as a real positive and is something that nobody else, Ndombele included, has shown they have.

What I mean by the EL is that when he's taking up a more advanced position or playing where I believe he is best suited he does better.
Oh, I see.
I suppose the issue with Lo Celso is what do we expect with him , what sort of numbers should we expect from him? Even myself I'm not sure.
To be honest with you, I expected him to at least match peak-Eriksen's numbers. I watched him a couple of times at Betis, and thought we were signing a superior player because, unlike Eriksen, he can dribble, and is much more aggressive without the ball. But the lack of incision from him is tremendously troubling for me. That is why we have got Harry Kane double-jobbing as a 9 and Eriksen's replacement.

Usually I agree with your assessments but I think we are watching a totally different player.

GLC has been great for us. His creativity when he is able to play up with Kane and Son stands out as a real positive and is something that nobody else, Ndombele included, has shown they have.
Tell me some of the good games he has had for us against decent opposition in the PL this season, and I'll go back for another look and see if I am being harsh.

whilst Lucas is targeted by the majority on here this guy gets away with doing nothing of note. Contributes next to nothing in an attacking sense and defensively. I guess the fact that he is left footed gives him a pass.

Though Lucas has been in fine form recently, against Toon Lo Celso had much more impact on the game. Moving ball faster than most others. Some good through balls and interchanges. Whilst in this game Lucas just constantly lost the ball in multitude of ways.

Not saying that Lo Celso did everything perfectly - absolutely not. But I felt that at the time it was right call to take Moura off and leave Lo Celso on.

He made a few positive passes and a couple of good tackles. He was our most fouled player (?)
Dumb booking as usual and he faded.
Would rather we had never bought him but he is here now and if he stays fit maybe we can get a few performances out of him.

Oh yeeh. the dream. Of playing Winks and Sissoko in his place.
Would that be a dream or what.

P.S not saying that Lo Celso is our saviour but ffs, the way you constantly whine about him and Ndombele (and also put in a critical comment about Hjojberg) makes me question - would you prefer us to revert back to Winks-Sissoko CM pairing?!?
Surely we can improve on midfield depth and consistency in performances. But just to 24/7 shit on players like Lo Celso, Ndombele - it is more than weird.

Tell me some of the good games he has had for us against decent opposition in the PL this season, and I'll go back for another look and see if I am being harsh.

I thought he was pretty good on Sunday. Tired in the 2nd half although that is understandable considering he is coming back from a muscle injury so likely wasn't able to train as much as he would like.

There were some games at the end of last year where he wasn't forced to play so deep and was able to play more with Kane and Son. I will try to figure out which games in particular. But that is the role that I think we need to see him in a 10, or close to it with todays style seeming to be less reliant on such specific roles. When he is able to get up with Kane and Son he is one of the few players we have, ie only one, that is able to think the game quick enough and make the passes fast enough to really be effective with them. Unfortunately for most of the time he has played with us he has been force to play so deep to get the ball from the back 4 because the other MFers- WInks, Sissoko, PEH can't do that and outside of Toby none of the CB's can be trusted to make a pass longer than 3 yards. The biggest issue with GLC outside of his injuries is when he has played he has been played out of position.

Oh yeeh. the dream. Of playing Winks and Sissoko in his place.
Would that be a dream or what.

P.S not saying that Lo Celso is our saviour but ffs, the way you constantly whine about him and Ndombele (and also put in a critical comment about Hjojberg) makes me question - would you prefer us to revert back to Winks-Sissoko CM pairing?!?
Surely we can improve on midfield depth and consistency in performances. But just to 24/7 shit on players like Lo Celso, Ndombele - it is more than weird.
I don't 24-7 shit on them. I praise them when they do well but criticise them when they don't which is often for Ndombele and rarely for GLC.
I like GLC but would rather we had signed a player that didn't get injured as much as him.
If he stays fit he will be a great asset for the club.
Edit: He had a sort of assist for H's first goal.

Last edited:
Oh, I see.

To be honest with you, I expected him to at least match peak-Eriksen's numbers. I watched him a couple of times at Betis, and thought we were signing a superior player because, unlike Eriksen, he can dribble, and is much more aggressive without the ball. But the lack of incision from him is tremendously troubling for me. That is why we have got Harry Kane double-jobbing as a 9 and Eriksen's replacement.
Interesting..
I never saw him as good as Eriksen in terms of the numbers.
He scored quite a few goals but never the sort of creativity of Eriksen.

In my mind in Summer 2019 I always maintained we need 2 players to replace Eriksen.

Lo Celso on his own wasn't enough. In fact we should've being buying Lo Celso anyway to give us a different option to just Eriksen all the time.

Interesting..
I never saw him as good as Eriksen in terms of the numbers.
He scored quite a few goals but never the sort of creativity of Eriksen.
Maybe I caught him on a couple of good days. I don't know.
In my mind in Summer 2019 I always maintained we need 2 players to replace Eriksen.
Why was that? Did you think Eriksen was more or less irreplaceable?
Lo Celso on his own wasn't enough. In fact we should've being buying Lo Celso anyway to give us a different option to just Eriksen all the time.
Help me out here. I thought you thought GLC was a good 10?

You know, I have gone through the first half of the Newcastle game again to really put his performance under the microscope. When we had the ball, he played centrally. He had a licence to go wherever he wanted. In terms of being brave with his passing, there was almost nothing. All he was basically doing was recycling possession. It was like watching Harry Winks.

Maybe I caught him on a couple of good days. I don't know.

Why was that? Did you think Eriksen was more or less irreplaceable?

Help me out here. I thought you thought GLC was a good 10?

You know, I have gone through the first half of the Newcastle game again to really put his performance under the microscope. When we had the ball, he played centrally. He had a licence to go wherever he wanted. In terms of being brave with his passing, there was almost nothing. All he was basically doing was recycling possession. It was like watching Harry Winks.
In my mind I always thought even if we don't replace Eriksen we should be looking at another midfield player like him because there was always too much strain on Eriksen.

It should've been Lo Celso + one other to replace Eriksen as Lo Celso on his own is a downgrade on Eriksen.

Tbh I'm trying to say I want to see Gio in a 3 so Hojbjerg at 6 and TN/GLC at 8. I think he could play at number 10 at times but he doesn't have the creativity perhaps.

As I said I'm still not sure what to expect for him.

And he's better than Harry Winks because he drives forward and wins the ball back better than him at least.

I think he could play at number 10 at times but he doesn't have the creativity perhaps.
That's how it is shaping up. I think we are on the same page.
And he's better than Harry Winks because he drives forward and wins the ball back better than him at least.
I know he is better than Harry Winks. What I am saying is that he was playing too many safe passes yesterday. Short passes. Square and back. He's got to be more brave.

That's how it is shaping up. I think we are on the same page.

I know he is better than Harry Winks. What I am saying is that he was playing too many safe passes yesterday. Short passes. Square and back. He's got to be more brave.
Yeah I just wouldn't read too much into yesterday still trying to work his way to fitness
Showed more in that spell last season that he is more than just a Winks type player.

Yeah I just wouldn't read too much into yesterday still trying to work his way to fitness
Showed more in that spell last season that he is more than just a Winks type player.
I am not saying he is the same player as Harry Winks. He is a far better player than Winks. What I am saying is that he was not brave enough on the ball yesterday.

I am not saying he is the same player as Harry Winks. He is a far better player than Winks. What I am saying is that he was not brave enough on the ball yesterday.
No but what I'm saying is that he isn't just a 'Winks type' player who just passes sideways and backwards.
We need a bit more time to judge him. Let's see if our opinions have changed by the end of the season. You'd assume he'll get quite a lot of gametime between now and then

Back
Top Bottom