Son and Kane lead % of goals scored above 'expected goals' in Europe since 2016

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No because I’m using facts not assumptions that Kane takes more difficult shots based on shoddy criteria like “did he head it”
Actually, there are some circumstances where headers are more difficult than a normal shot. For example, it's quite rare to see a long range header scored. At short range there isn't a big difference between a header and a normal shot.

xG% is obviously not perfect, but it's clearly better than % of shots scored, as there's more context.
Kane is the second best finisher out of top 20 goalscorers in Europe in the past 5 years.

Actually, there are some circumstances where headers are more difficult than a normal shot. For example, it's quite rare to see a long range header scored. At short range there isn't a big difference between a header and a normal shot.

xG% is obviously not perfect, but it's clearly better than % of shots scored, as there's more context.
Kane is the second best finisher out of top 20 goalscorers in Europe in the past 5 years.
Some headers are tap ins
It’s bullshit definitions of “difficulty” and takes zero account t of a players actual ability.
Was it as difficult for Kane as it would have been for Charlie Adam?

Does it take into account mentality? Strong wind, wet pitch, quality of goalkeeper, was the player given a dead leg two minutes earlier....?

No, and it shouldn’t.
A sitter is a sitter, no matter how many excuses is made for it

It’s bullshit definitions of “difficulty” and takes zero account t of a players actual ability.
Was it as difficult for Kane as it would have been for Charlie Adam?
It is a measure of a players' finishing ability.
Kane will have a higher percentage of xG scored than Charlie Adam.

Does it take into account mentality? Strong wind, wet pitch, quality of goalkeeper, was the player given a dead leg two minutes earlier....?
No. As I said, this measure isn't perfect, and no stat is, as it can't take everything into account.
However none of these things are considered in your stat of '% of shots that are goals' which you keep citing.

If you have two measures, and one of them considers more factors than others, it is a more precise measure.

It is a measure of a players' finishing ability.
Kane will have a higher percentage of xG scored than Charlie Adam.

No. As I said, this measure isn't perfect, and no stat is, as it can't take everything into account.
However none of these things are considered in your stat of '% of shots that are goals' which you keep citing.

If you have two measures, and one of them considers more factors than others, it is a more precise measure.
You keep saying it’s not perfect then using it
My measurements are perfect. They are facts.

Kane has taken 109 shots, and 91 did not go in.
The End

You keep saying it’s not perfect then using it
My measurements are perfect. They are facts.

Kane has taken 109 shots, and 91 did not go in.
The End
What don't you get?

On the same basis the xG stats aren't perfect, yours aren't either.
The difference is your stat has no context whatsoever, so it's virtually meaningless. xG has some context, so is far more useful.

Read my post above again: #42

What don't you get?

On the same basis the xG stats aren't perfect, yours aren't either.
The difference is your stat has no context whatsoever, so it's virtually meaningless. xG has some context, so is far more useful.

Read my post above again: #42
What don’t you get more like?
Kane has 109 shots and 19 goals.
That’s a fact.

Saying he missed 91 shots because of a difficult angle/distance/header is utter nonsense.

You keep hopping over decision making.
For example, we have a free kick 20 yards out. Kane has two choices:

“I’m utter shit at this, I’ll let someone else take it”

Or

Blast it at the wall

Blasting it at the wall because he’s not good enough to hit the target with them does not exonerate him, or should not be dismissed.

It was a a shit decision, and it happens in open play too, blasting half chances goalwards from anywhere with 7 players in front of him.
It’s not “awwww poor Kane, it’s difficult”, it’s just shit play.

Kane has 109 shots and 19 goals.
That’s a fact.
Correct. The question is whether this is conclusive evidence he's a poor finisher.

Blasting it at the wall because he’s not good enough to hit the target with them does not exonerate him, or should not be dismissed.
I agree, I'm not dismissing it. Missing a free kick will contribute to a lower goals/xG %.

The things you criticise him for, missing free kicks and missing long range shots are all counted towards this goals/xG percentage.
And despite that, he's still number 2 in Europe in terms of finishing.

It’s not “awwww poor Kane, it’s difficult”, it’s just shit play.
The fact he has most goals and most assists in PL, in a team who barely dominate any game is a a clear indicator he's a good decision maker.

K
seriously why even bother

Just ignore
You’d bother if genuinely deep down you didn’t agree with me.
People run because I have a point they don’t like to acknowledge

That’s why the biggest argument today has been “if you ignore Kane’s free kicks, his stats are better”

:mourfacepalm:

The fact he has most goals and most assists in PL, in a team who barely dominate any game is a a clear indicator he's a good decision maker.
And we’ve come full circle
Kane has taken the most shots in the PL.
17 more than the next closest.

More shots equals more goals, that doesn’t make him clinical. As I said, if Salah and Vardy had taken 109 shots, Kane wouldn’t be top scorer.

At our best this season, Kane showed his versatility by switching from CF to CAM at times; with Son making advanced runs.
I would change the nature of their partnership.
You’d be happy to not use Kane as our striker and feel Son would score more goals than him up top?
Does this make Son a world class striker in your view?

Back
Top Bottom