Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I do worry a bit that we are building Skipp up too much.

I like the kid. He’s got a good skill set, good character, doesn’t flap, tenacious, seems a decent reader, decent enough technically, HG, zero cost, but I think he’s like a Scott Parker at best - and that would be a really decent and useful thing for us, especially after some of the turds we’ve had masquerading as midfielders last couple of years.

But if we build him up too much, and people start expecting we’ve produced the Chingford Marcus Senna, they are going to be a bit disappointed and start getting on the kid’s case.

I think he's the real deal. I've got no doubts about it. I think there's a tendency to not believe a potential elite level player can come up through the youth ranks. Kane for example, the evidence was there in his early loan spells at Orient and Millwall, but he still kept on having to prove himself over and over again.

Skipp has been helped in his development by having the right manager at Norwich, and he'd be helped further by having the right manager here, which isn't Mourinho.

I think he's the real deal. I've got no doubts about it. I think there's a tendency to not believe a potential elite level player can come up through the youth ranks. Kane for example, the evidence was there in his early loan spells at Orient and Millwall, but he still kept on having to prove himself over and over again.

Skipp has been helped in his development by having the right manager at Norwich, and he'd be helped further by having the right manager here, which isn't Mourinho.

I have no problems with the concept of coming through the ranks, most great footballers do somewhere and I've watched a lot of French football the last few years so have seen plenty of players develop that way, I hope you're right, I don't care if he doesn't end up being a world beater, he doesn't have to be to be be useful to us, I'd be pretty happy if he just turned out to be another Scott Parker to be honest.

Last edited:
The Championship is probably in the top 10 of strongest leagues in the world.
Not according to multiple reports I've read about its current quality and standard. It might be in the top 10 2nd tier leagues, but i find it difficult to believe that even in its heyday it was ever in the top 10 globally. Not sure how you would ever accurately measure that anyway, without inter league competitive matches.

I like the kid. He’s got a good skill set, good character, doesn’t flap, tenacious, seems a decent reader, decent enough technically, HG, zero cost, but I think he’s like a Scott Parker at best - and that would be a really decent and useful thing for us, especially after some of the turds we’ve had masquerading as midfielders last couple of years.

But if we build him up too much, and people start expecting we’ve produced the Chingford Marcus Senna, they are going to be a bit disappointed and start getting on the kid’s case.

Spurs fans overhyping their own players and developing unrealistic expectations ?.

I refuse to believe that....

I have no problems with there concept of coming through the ranks, most great footballers do somewhere and I've watched a lot of French football the last few years so have seen plenty of players develop that way, I hope you're right, I don't care if he doesn't end up being a world beater, he doesn't have to be to be be useful to us, I'd be pretty happy if he just turned out to be another Scott Parker to be honest.

I think Norwich would happily buy him for 20, even 30m if we were willing to sell him, so he's probably already the second best youth product in the last decade.

Not according to multiple reports I've read about its current quality and standard. It might be in the top 10 2nd tier leagues, but i find it difficult to believe that even in its heyday it was ever in the top 10 globally. Not sure how you would ever accurately measure that anyway, without inter league competitive matches.
Links to these reports? Never heard any of this.

Championship has the 6th or 7th highest league wage bill in the world. Most of the top leagues in Europe are not that good and no top tier league outside of Europe is better than the Championship.

Last edited:
I think Norwich would happily buy him for 20, even 30m if we were willing to sell him, so he's probably already the second best youth product in the last decade.

I'm not sure he'd fetch 20m just yet, but either way this is the whole raison d'être of an academy, produce the odd gem, produce a few good enough to do a squad job and turn a huge profit by selling those that you don't have a long term future for.

Either way now, Skipp is going to be an asset, hopefully in a football sense, if not in a financial one.

no top tier league outside of Europe is better than the Championship.
Depends what you mean by better, but in terms of quality, what about the Brazilian and Argentine leagues? I don't follow either closely, but they have tradition, passionate support and still churn out good young players. Ciro Ciro or anyone who watches these leagues, care to comment? I remember watching some fantastic games in Argentina years ago when the likes of Riquelme, Aimar and Cambiasso were coming through. Standard seemed pretty high then.

I hadn't thought of Championship as that competitive, but I remember Mourinho saying something similar when we signed Rodon - that he'd already proved himself at a good level. He may even have compared it favourably to the Eredividse.

Depends what you mean by better, but in terms of quality, what about the Brazilian and Argentine leagues? I don't follow either closely, but they have tradition, passionate support and still churn out good young players. Ciro Ciro or anyone who watches these leagues, care to comment? I remember watching some fantastic games in Argentina years ago when the likes of Riquelme, Aimar and Cambiasso were coming through. Standard seemed pretty high then.

I hadn't thought of Championship as that competitive, but I remember Mourinho saying something similar when we signed Rodon - that he'd already proved himself at a good level. He may even have compared it favourably to the Eredividse.

A lot of good players play there. You can normally get a couple of players every season or two who could make it at top 6 Prem level. Players like Kane and Grealish had time there, if you look right now Norwich have a guy called Buendia who Liverpool are thought to be trying to buy who is really good.

A lot of good players play there. You can normally get a couple of players every season or two who could make it at top 6 Prem level. Players like Kane and Grealish had time there, if you look right now Norwich have a guy called Buendia who Liverpool are thought to be trying to buy who is really good.
Half the England side came through the championship either on loan or through the ranks.... Henderson, Chilwell, McGuire, Stones, Maddison, etc etc etc

In fact some of our best pound for pound signings came through that league. Walker, Dawson, Lennon, Robinson, Jenas, Hudd..... not world class but good value squad players

Back
Top Bottom