In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We will probably miss out on either EL, CL and that has a cost. We play shit football, half the players look miserable. It’s feels like the end of AVB’s reign. Our standing from 2-3 years ago has dropped and we are dependent on Levy pulling a rabbit out of the hat with the next manager. To say I am fucked off is an understatement.
I can understand all that. But how have we been set back a few years?

Could work out though, you'd never know. After Nagelsmann and one or two others there isn't a wealth of obvious candidates.

There really isn't that much about that's "realistic" right now.

I don't get this, although my definition of realistic might be different. There seems to be a lot of options out there although no sure fire, no doubt option, although I am not sure there ever is.

"Hot" young progressive European options:

Nagelsmann, Ten Haag, Jardim, Kovac, Hutter

Young, "progressive" English options:

Potter, Parker, Howe, Frank (I know not English but in English League)

Experience PL managers:

Rodgers, Hassenhutl

Experienced Managers out of work:

Benitez, Allegri, Sarri, Bosz, Favre

Wildcard:

Gerrard, Bielsa

I certainly don't want every one of those guys and some probably aren't options but there seems to be a lot of guys and different kind of managers out there that could be options.

We will probably miss out on either EL, CL and that has a cost. We play shit football, half the players look miserable. It’s feels like the end of AVB’s reign. Our standing from 2-3 years ago has dropped and we are dependent on Levy pulling a rabbit out of the hat with the next manager. To say I am fucked off is an understatement.
We're still in with a shot at European football.

Top 4 earns CL football, that is obviously out of the running.
5th gets EL football.
The FA cup also gets a EL group stage spot.
The winner of the league cup gets a Conference league spot.

And if the cup winners already finish in the top 5, those spots trickle down of course. So we could finish as low as 7-8th and still get the conference league spot. Which yes, is not sexy but it is European football.

I can understand all that. But how have we been set back a few years?

I know you won't read it after all the bragging you have done about having me on ignore but I will answer anyways.

When Jose came in were were coming off a CL final, 4 years of top 4, 3 years of CL football. We had two of the top attackers in the PL, if not world, a World Cup captain in goal and 120m (or there about) in new signings. We also had a brand new world class stadium and were one of the top earning clubs in the world. Yes there were some worrying signs but the base that the club had established at that point was as high as it ever had been for the club in modern football and the core of the squad was impressive.

Now under Jose we are looking like another season with no top 4 and no CL which undeniably hurts player recruitment unless you are a club like Chelsea that can buy your way out of that. We are at risk of losing our top two players. If Jose stays it is hard to see a way that we are in the top 4 next year or the year after.

I would say that clearly shows we have been set back years, if we are not looking like getting top 4 or CL football anytime in the next 2 year after missing out the past two.

I don't get this, although my definition of realistic might be different. There seems to be a lot of options out there although no sure fire, no doubt option, although I am not sure there ever is.

"Hot" young progressive European options:

Nagelsmann, Ten Haag, Jardim, Kovac, Hutter

Young, "progressive" English options:

Potter, Parker, Howe, Frank (I know not English but in English League)

Experience PL managers:

Rodgers, Hassenhutl

Experienced Managers out of work:

Benitez, Allegri, Sarri, Bosz, Favre

Wildcard:

Gerrard, Bielsa

I certainly don't want every one of those guys and some probably aren't options but there seems to be a lot of guys and different kind of managers out there that could be options.

I don't see many of them as great options though, even if they might make a better fist of it than Mourinho.

No way will Rodgers leave Leicester for us and Hassenhutl is probably testing his boards patience right now at Southampton. Benitez has never been know for the good football most Tottenham fans crave. Favre? I think I'd rather keep Mourinho. I don't really see Allegri is a realistic option. Sarri? No thanks.

Nagelsmann, Ten Haag and Potter seems to be the best options right now. Shame we missed out on Tuchel.

I don't see many of them as great options though, even if they might make a better fist of it than Mourinho.

No way will Rodgers leave Leicester for us and Hassenhutl is probably testing his boards patience right now at Southampton. Benitez has never been know for the good football most Tottenham fans crave. Favre? I think I'd rather keep Mourinho. I don't really see Allegri is a realistic option. Sarri? No thanks.

Nagelsmann, Ten Haag and Potter seems to be the best options right now. Shame we missed out on Tuchel.

But is that any different than any other time?

is there ever going to be a perfect fit? Even if we brought in Pep there would be people that would say it is bad because we won't back him.

I am not sure there will ever be a manager that everyone would love or wouldn't have issues.

People calling all these names are laughable. We DO NOT have the caliber of players to go out and win titles, so anyone coming here has to be a project manager.

No manager worth their salt will watch what Jose is not achieving and think oh I’ll turn these lot into prime Barca. No chance. They are probably looking at and going, yeah I can take on that but Daniel has to buy about 10 players.

So Scott Parker for me and at least we might enjoy the football. Winning pots and being up there with City? Pipe dream.

People calling all these names are laughable. We DO NOT have the caliber of players to go out and win titles, so anyone coming here has to be a project manager.

No manager worth their salt will watch what Jose is not achieving and think oh I’ll turn these lot into prime Barca. No chance. They are probably looking at and going, yeah I can take on that but Daniel has to buy about 10 players.

So Scott Parker for me and at least we might enjoy the football. Winning pots and being up there with City? Pipe dream.
Some of the names bandied about could manage a rebuild and make us at least a team fighting for European football every season, with possibly the odd cup if all goes well.

But some of these names are just thrown out because people want to win something now instead of accepting that we need to go into a proper rebuild.

Because we are not as attractive to any potential new manager and if we lose CL we have less to invest. Maybe a few years is over the top, we might claw it all back in 6-12 months but still.
Aye, it’s a blow to lose out on CL again. And I agree that our managerial pull will be at a significantly lower level. And yes, a few years is over the top.

When the three most important questions that make Daniel's wee cock twitch re: our scouting list checklist is:

1. Is the player running out of contract?
2. Is the player unwanted by his current club?
3. What is our level of financial risk regarding the transfer?

...we're not going to compete.

LOL

That is the only way a manager will go to a club if they can get them playing like prime Barca???

The lengths people, mainly Jose apologists, will go to shit on us as a club is amazing at times. The fact that there are "supporters" out here trying to pretend like we are not an attractive job is laughable.

People sleeping on this man
I like what he has done as well, but not really a draw for players is he? I don’t think that should be anywhere near the biggest determining factor, but would be nice to have a manager that players would look forward to getting the chance to work with.

Back
Top Bottom