Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VAR needs to be pulled while it's fixed. It's been almost three years of VAR bullshit since the world Cup. It makes the officials look like idiots because now, human error isn't part of the game.

Except that one time out of millions that it didn't work and loads of people jumped up and down saying "SCRAP GOAL LINE TECH IT DOESN'T WORK THIS IS AN OUTRAGE"

Villa was it? Last season I think
Goal line technology is a great addition to the game. The problem with that villa game is that when the technology didn't work, VAR didn't step up and fix the situation. The gutless pussies just sat there waiting for a watch to buzz instead of actually checking it out. VAR works for red cards and fuck all else.

So latest news

Son's toenail is offside so no goal - yeah sure !

Fleck stamps on GLC because he was our best player in midfield - no foul !

We should invade Stockley Park and insist the users are unfit !

E0aBPjLXoAQpHpn

E0aLCNbX0AA3vNf

E0aVCleWEAMIOuo

Translation: Should make a 3D animation that illustrates this better, but here is the reason why it is hopeless that #VAR measures the position (offside) of a player leaning in a three-dimensional space, based on a two-dimensional image.

E0aBPjLXoAQpHpn

E0aLCNbX0AA3vNf

E0aVCleWEAMIOuo

Translation: Should make a 3D animation that illustrates this better, but here is the reason why it is hopeless that #VAR measures the position (offside) of a player leaning in a three-dimensional space, based on a two-dimensional image.

This is fine IF they manage to EXACTLY get the moment that the ball was kicked.
IMO They should use the torso like in Athletics.
Anything that is an obvious fault ok but goals are being ruled out for toenails !

Anything that is an obvious fault ok but goals are being ruled out for toenails !

Well I don’t think that’s the remedy, but even if you do; you can’t see the ball in that image at all. It’s plainly obvious that it can’t be determined from that image and yet that’s exactly what they’ve done.

They should simply bin it off.

For the measurement to be accurate:
1. They should factor in the frame rate of the camera
2. Agree on is it when the ball is hit or when it leaves the boot
3. Measure point 2 when also measuring the player supposed to be offside
4. Take the offside measurement using the placement of the foot furthermost (before anyone says what about headers, I'd say fuck headers)

It should be binned as per above example renders the entire measurement ridiculous.

Son has not gained an advantage here. No defender or attacking player will no if a player is offside, there is zero skill involved from either a defender playing attacker offside or attacker beating the offside trap. It's just a guess.

Goal line technology is a great addition to the game. The problem with that villa game is that when the technology didn't work, VAR didn't step up and fix the situation. The gutless pussies just sat there waiting for a watch to buzz instead of actually checking it out. VAR works for red cards and fuck all else.
Doesnt work for reds either

Well I don’t think that’s the remedy, but even if you do; you can’t see the ball in that image at all. It’s plainly obvious that it can’t be determined from that image and yet that’s exactly what they’ve done.
They have time matched images, use the image of ball and it ties to the other. Doesn't resolve framerates though

I've said it in another thread, but the FA could learn something from MLS on how to do the video reviews. Offsides are done in a fraction of the time, and based on clear and obvious review of the data.

The clip at 9:17 shows how quick and easily they make a decision. No drawing lines or other nonsense.

Last edited:
E0aBPjLXoAQpHpn

E0aLCNbX0AA3vNf

E0aVCleWEAMIOuo

Thank you!

The fucking offside graphic bullshit is the flat earth theory of the 21st century, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here.

They should simply bin it off.

For the measurement to be accurate:
1. They should factor in the frame rate of the camera
2. Agree on is it when the ball is hit or when it leaves the boot
3. Measure point 2 when also measuring the player supposed to be offside
4. Take the offside measurement using the placement of the foot furthermost (before anyone says what about headers, I'd say fuck headers)

It should be binned as per above example renders the entire measurement ridiculous.

Son has not gained an advantage here. No defender or attacking player will no if a player is offside, there is zero skill involved from either a defender playing attacker offside or attacker beating the offside trap. It's just a guess.

They should just stop using the lines altogether. If the VAR official cannot see a clear offside with just his eyes looking at the image, give the goal. We should be ruling goals out for clear and obvious errors not this GCSE Maths shit.

They should just stop using the lines altogether. If the VAR official cannot see a clear offside with just his eyes looking at the image, give the goal. We should be ruling goals out for clear and obvious errors not this GCSE Maths shit.
Kind of agree with this, however, no one can make an accurate call from the camera angles used to make that call. No one has a better view to call an offside than the lino, his view is far more important than anyone who views the TV Monitor, it's pointless using the monitor both with and without the lines.

The lino's toughest job is viewing the moment the ball is kicked, not whether the player is stood in an office position. He's more or less in-line with the attacker but could be 60yrs away from the passer.

Perhaps the best compromise is to use the lino's view of the attacker and whether he could see if the player is level or not and then have all the focus on when the ball was kicked??? Yes, this still doesn't get around the issues of frame rate speeds and trimmings of when the ball was kicked etc but at least it puts the only person with the best view back in some control and influence.

Should be binned anyway.

Do have to laugh at people saying offside by a toenail.
The lines were a full yard apart.
His whole body was nearer the goal than any part of the defender. It really was not even close.

On the Fleck/Lo Celso incident, the only person that really knows if it should have been a send off is Fleck himself. His foot has to go somewhere, Lo Celso was already rolling around on the ground.
Could he have done more to avoid it, probably yes, but intent has to be proven and it can't be in that instance in my view. Judgement call by the referee and VAR that it was incidental rather than violent conduct, I can live with that.

There are many reasons to dislike VAR, I especially dislike the slowing down of incidents which always make them seem worse, for example the West Ham send off last week which was subseuently overturned on appeal, and the very marginal offside decisions. The slowing down is poor implementation by PGMOL, the offsides are how the Premier League want it so many decision makers to blame for the issue.
However the decisions in our game this weekend are not reasons to dislike VAR, the first one was a clear offside to the naked eye, the second was not an obvious error that needed overturning.

Last edited:
On the Fleck/Lo Celso incident, the only person that really knows if it should have been a send off is Fleck himself. His foot has to go somewhere, Lo Celso was already rolling around on the ground.
Could he have done more to avoid it, probably yes, but intent has to be proven and it can't be in that instance in my view. Judgement call by the referee and VAR that it was incidental rather than violent conduct, I can live with that.
For me it's a red card for dangerous play. We can't know for sure there was intent - IMHO there was, I think he has a sneaky side eye - but there was I believe enough time for him to place his foot somewhere else at least, it didn't happen that quickly.

Back
Top Bottom