Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, essentially, exactly what ENIC's current plan appears to be? Not sure how this is a good thing.

I would say the most likely best outcome of a new ownership is you get a similar ENIC approach but without a chairman like Levy who wants to be involved in the football side. That would be a major upgrade in my view.

For exmaple, with the Rangnick rumour today, if Levy didn't fancy himself as a football guru who can wheel and deal with the best of them to save us a pound here or there, Rangnick would be exactly what a new ownership group would look for to run their team on a specific budget and make football decisions. With Levy it is unlikely because he won't give up football control.

Well the previous 20 years before levy we won 2 fa cups, 1 league cup, 1 charity sheild, and 1 UEFA cup. In his 20 years weve won just 1 league cup. Im very sure we can do better in the next 20 years if the bald scrooge leaves.

English football was quite a bit different in the 20 years before Levy than under his control. It still doesn't excuse him for not winning but it was much easier to win trophies then than it is now.

English football was quite a bit different in the 20 years before Levy than under his control. It still doesn't excuse him for not winning but it was much easier to win trophies then than it is now.
Im sure the squad could have been invested in to win more than 1 trophy in his 20 years though.

Im sure the squad could have been invested in to win more than 1 trophy in his 20 years though.

Yes 100% agree.

I just have heard a lot of people talking about how we used to be a Cup team and that our focus on top 4 has screwed that up when the reality is that now the top 4 teams dominate the trophies in a way that wasn't the case in the past.

I would say the most likely best outcome of a new ownership is you get a similar ENIC approach but without a chairman like Levy who wants to be involved in the football side. That would be a major upgrade in my view.

For exmaple, with the Rangnick rumour today, if Levy didn't fancy himself as a football guru who can wheel and deal with the best of them to save us a pound here or there, Rangnick would be exactly what a new ownership group would look for to run their team on a specific budget and make football decisions. With Levy it is unlikely because he won't give up football control.
If that's the best case, I would continue to have concerns since I have no faith in best cases being realistic.

Well the previous 20 years before levy we won 2 fa cups, 1 league cup, 1 charity sheild, and 1 UEFA cup. In his 20 years weve won just 1 league cup. Im very sure we can do better in the next 20 years if the bald scrooge leaves.
I am not, since football has changed considerably due to the much higher level of professionalism in all parts of the game. Also, given the randomness of football, it is pretty much impossible to assume that a bunch of trophies won in the 80s were the likely outcomes rather than dumb luck.

If that's the best case, I would continue to have concerns since I have no faith in best cases being realistic.

That is the realistic best case.

Best case is that bill gates or Bezos comes in and wants to strike his ego by winning titles so spends at a City/Chelsea level because we get the titles without the ugliness of being owned by a Petro State or Russian gangster.

Edit:

I don’t think it is too crazy to think that new owners would let football guys make football decisions.

That is the realistic best case.

Best case is that bill gates or Bezos comes in and wants to strike his ego by winning titles so spends at a City/Chelsea level because we get the titles without the ugliness of being owned by a Petro State or Russian gangster.

Edit:

I don’t think it is too crazy to think that new owners would let football guys make football decisions.
Given what I've seen over 20 years of ownership takeovers in football, I think it's very much the exception rather than the rule.

All true - but looking ahead if the money is high enough then they will all come ...

Frankly why would we want another overpaid reject? you can keep most of the so called "super managers" simply not worth the aggro.

I would rather go with a five year project (like Poch) just not sure our "now-now-now" fans would accept that. Scotty Parker would be my choice, but what do I know.
Now Now Now fans?

Our last trophy was a league cup in 2008

:llorishuh:

We will have made a thumping loss this season, there is no Government agreement to allow the stadium to be used to earn money. Any self respecting businessman with a spare billion to purchase would be mad to buy at present. Just say the Government force all 6 owners of the Super league clubs to sell which I cannot believe would happen. Bids were asked for but say the only bid was from the Supporters trust offering a £1. They would not put a penny into the club. Their expertise is no different to members of the forum and we cannot agree on anything. Would they appoint better Managers or buy better players than the present owners? Who knows. It is not the owners that are the problem. Lewis is not the problem. He does not put any money in but nor does other owners other than loans which may come back to bite them.
So how do we improve ? It is the personnel running the club that determines that. Levy needs to step back and appoint a DOF. We need to sack Hitchen as clearly recent purchases have not been good enough. The new Manager will be important and it is disappointing that our top target has gone. Ideally the DOF would come first but that looks unlikely.
Levy the owner is going nowhere but Levy the CEO might with everything going on move to a less hands on position as Chairman.

The reason we won trophies in the 80s is because the board wanted it , made it happen , by signing finished quality players not like these current arseholes who don't give a monkeys.
So who decides on what players to buy? As I understand it, Hitchen, Levy and Poch/Mourinho decide. The scouts suggest players to Hitchen and The Manager has a say and Levy will no doubt have the final say on wages/transfer fee. Now we have spent big on Lo Celso and Ndombele in the last year. Have say Leicester spent as much? No it is not the money but getting the right player and Hitchen and his scouts have let us down. Levy can be blamed for letting some deals go on costs but the deals that have gone ahead have simply not been good enough that is not because the board do not care.
If the likes of Kane wants to leave, then players of his standard which are available are not going to be attracted to us and gone are the days when we can go and buy the best striker in the Country like Greaves because he simply will not come to us whatever was offered.
You are right that getting the right players is the key but if Levy is at fault then it is in not sacking Hitchen and getting in someone better to advise him.

Now Now Now fans?

Our last trophy was a league cup in 2008

So when would it be reasonable to expect a trophy?

We are one of 20 EPL sides so once every twenty years?

We have won the league twice in 139, so once every 70 years?

We have never won the EPL, so never?

We have won 17 proper trophies in our 139 years so once every 18 years?

Come on them Now Now Now entitled one, how often do you demand that we should win a trophy?

So when would it be reasonable to expect a trophy?

We are one of 20 EPL sides so once every twenty years?

We have won the league twice in 139, so once every 70 years?

We have never won the EPL, so never?

We have won 17 proper trophies in our 139 years so once every 18 years?

Come on them Now Now Now entitled one, how often do you demand that we should win a trophy?
Dedicate an industry standard percentage of turnover to the playing squad, empower proper football people to exercise stable leadership over the football operation, and treat all competitions we enter as important and valuable. That's all I ask, and there can be no reasonable doubt ENIC's trophy cabinet would look entirely different if those principles had been followed.

I just want to know where the accountability is in the club at the moment, since it seems to get bounced around.

I mean let's be serious. Daniel Levy does not take accountability for anything. The whole ESL debacle seemed to prove that.

Who the fuck apologizes in that way. "Sorry you didn't get what I was trying to do." Seem to be his answer for a lot. Too many things.

Back
Top Bottom