Players we have signed in the past 5 years

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All sourced from wikipedia, these are the players we have signed in the past 5 years:

2020-21: Alfie Devine, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Joe Hart, Matt Doherty, Keenan Ferguson, Sergio Reguilón, Marcel Lavinier, Tobi Omole, Joe Rodon.

19-20: Kion Etete, Isak Midttun Solberg, Jack Clarke, Tanguy Ndombele, Ryan Sessegnon, Michel Vorm, Giovani Lo Celso, Steven Bergwijn.

18-19: No Signings (!!)

17-18: Davinson Sánchez, Paulo Gazzaniga, Juan Foyth, Serge Aurier, Fernando Llorente, Lucas Moura.

16-17: Victor Wanyama, Vincent Janssen, Juan Pablo Gonzalez Velasco, Georges-Kévin Nkoudou, Moussa Sissoko, Maximus Tainio.

Now, I don't know about you, but I count ONE player in those 5 years who was a player we needed, came in, played well and improved the team unequivocally - Wanyama. ONE proper player in 5 years and millions upon millions spent on players who have performed anywhere from average to total shit (and I will inclide everybody's favourites, Reguilón, Hojbjerg and N'Dombele in the 'average' group).

Think of our best players over those 5 years: Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama, Walker, Rose, Toby, Vertonghen, Lloris...even add the likes of Davies, Dier and Trippier if you like (who all performed well at times under Poch). They all were signed/here more than 5 years ago! Look at some of the absolute shite we have been spending money on.

It doesn't matter who the new manager is, until we can start identifying proper footballers and signing them, we are going nowhere. In my opinion, Levy has put all his focus on the stadium and forgot about the most important thing, the fucking team on the pitch. Now Jose and Poch can share some of the blame for who we have bought (and please nobody try to tell me Hojbjerg can lace Wanyama's boots) but Levy is the main one at fault, especially for the travesty of 2018-19 where no signings at all were made.

Levy has to go back to the DoF system or something close to it, because whoever the cunts are who decide our transfer strategy have failed monumentally in their job these past 5 years. And instead of building on an excellent team we had that finished 2nd to Chelsea in the 2016-17 season, we have let it fall apart.

Last edited:
And we got whooped today by a team worth a combined total of less than what we'd want for Kane.
Right. And I'm not even suggesting we have to spend stupid amounts of money, we have made some big money signings in this period that have been veyr average for us (Sanchez and N'Dombele spring to mind). Wanyama, the best of those signings, was a bargain. Dele cost buttons etc. But we don't seem to identify players who can come in and improve the side in a tangible way. We buy a load of nothing players now, as our best players either get sold or get old, or both. What we see now, and what we saw at the end of Poch's time, is the end result. A pretty average side who are carried by a handful of quality players (who were all here years ago).

Fucking depressing isn't it, when I look at that I feel like the club is literally being neglected by ENIC/Levy and they're just letting the team fall apart. MASSIVE questions need to be asked about how we actually scout players and how these fucks are in a job still.

By the way does anyone actually know the exact recruitment structure or is it just Hitchen flicking through a binder full of photos and randomly chosing?

The whole recruitment team want sacking at the end of the season - enough is enough. They're completely fucking incompetent. We just chuck money around without any rhyme or reason, no identity, no plan, clueless wankers.

Right. And I'm not even suggesting we have to spend stupid amounts of money, we have made some big money signings in this period that have been veyr average for us (Sanchez and N'Dombele spring to mind). Wanyama, the best of those signings, was a bargain. Dele cost buttons etc. But we don't seem to identify players who can come in and improve the side in a tangible way. We buy a load of nothing players now, as our best players either get sold or get old, or both. What we see now, and what we saw at the end of Poch's time, is the end result. A pretty average side who are carried by a handful of quality players (who were all here years ago).
Sanchez and Ndombele for a combined 100m. Shocking.

With a squad so weak in so many areas we shouldn't have been spunking 60m on one player but instead, if we had decent scouting system, 20m on a mix of several good young prospects and smart bargains.

No one can tell me it's difficult to upgrade on Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Sanchez, Aurier. I'm sure you could pay 10m for some random bloke from Argentina who could look like a competent footballer.

With a limited budget we need to focus on general squad improvement not bringing in one or two high profile players.

With a squad so weak in so many areas we shouldn't have been spunking 60m on one player but instead, if we had decent scouting system, 20m on a mix of several good young prospects and smart bargains.

No one can tell me it's difficult to upgrade on Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Sanchez, Aurier. I'm sure you could pay 10m for some random bloke from Argentina who could look like a competent footballer.

With a limited budget we need to focus on general squad improvement not bringing in one or two high profile players.
Sanchez, Lo Celso & NDombele cost us 150m lol

Sanchez, Lo Celso & NDombele cost us 150m lol
2 club record signings in there.

I personally think Ndombele has the skills to be worth his money, but his temperament is off. If someone could somehow get him to consistently perform to close to the best of his ability he would be an excellent signing for the money in my view.

However, someone had their pants pulled down where Sanchez is concerned.

And who got away in the same time frame because of Levy and Pochettino being cheap and stubborn? Grealish, Bruno Fernandes, Dybala, De Ligt, De Jong?
To be fair De Ligt and De Jong didn't "get away", we were never in the frame. Dybala - meh. Bruno "Pen"andes I'm not entirely convinced about. Seemed absolutely excellent for the first half of the season, and I'd probably still take him now but I think he's dropped off somewhat of late. Grealish is one of those luxury players at a club where there's no pressure on him. A bit like Zaha and maybe St. Maximim. Until he gets a chance at a club where the spotlight is on him after a "big money move" it's impossible to know whether he's up to the task.

But yeah. We surely could've spent the money more wisely?

Last edited:
Until last season the person who signed most of those players was Pochettino, equally he turned down plenty of others that have turned out to be good.

Correct.

I think this notion that we lay the blame solely on Levy, who is definitely not without fault and forget the role scouts and managers play in this is frankly a nonsense.

Add to that the fact that since Alli we have not bought one player (Wanyama apart) who has made you think 'bet you are envious of us to another of the so called big 6.

It is less that we don't spend significant sums and more that we just don't seem capable of buying well and that once we acquire players we don't seem able to develop them.

I think Levy has a really big job ahead of him in finding someone but as I keep saying he needs to find a manager who will bring a system of play that is progressive, one that has shown they develop players or preferably both.

Don't even need to go that far plenty of young English talent that we could have got for cheap (ish) certainly cheaper than what we have paid for guys recently.

Jarrod Bowen 18m same window we bought Bergwijn
Eze 17m last year
Watkins 25m million last year
Konsa undisclosed in 2019
Godfrey 20m last year

Benrahma, not English but from Championship, 25m

I am sure I am missing some and perhaps some guys were busts from similar positions but these are exactly what we need in many cases, help with the HG that we need and were right under our noses so Hitchen doesn't even have to travel much to watch them play.

Our scouting is a joke. And you put levy wanting always the bargains all together. And that results in the mess we are in.

Levy in the doco was bragging to his cronies that nothing happens in the transfer window until the last week.

By then the good players are spoken for and pre-season matches are done and dusted. Seeing as our scouts would rather have jollies abroad than look at lower league prospects, they rock up during match week 1 or 2 and don't even speak English.

You just know that apart from Ndombele, everybody we sign is usually 3 or 4 places down the list to what the manager wants.

Levy would get a lot of fans onside if he stopped micro managing the club and hired a director of football to make ALL the football decisions. I'm sure he has his hands full getting NFL games on and Lady Gaga or whatever.

Tell the DOF he has X pounds to spend or sell to buy. Anybody who is ambitious enough could work within these constraints but it takes balls. Not just by looking like one.

Back
Top Bottom