?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Look at teams involved, will be long flights, time differences, coaches from airport to regional cities. I bet the average door to door journey in this vs CL is at least x3 longer. This must have a huge negative on a fatigued players ability to recover physically, broken sleep etc. Easy to scoff and say they are paid to cope, but it’s fine marginal gains in the top 8. If it’s a 5% reduction in recovery and well being that’s a huge barrier for PL

Almost guarantees we won’t be challenging for 4th
You do realise our players fly chartered, and you do understand what that means ?
Regional cities in the main do actually have airports, just because there is not a direct scheduled flight from England to many of them does not mean they don't actually exist.

I will gladly take your bet (unless that was a figure of speech) that the trips do not take on average 3x as long, or even twice as long on average for the players.

Last edited:
Well the good news is, it’s back in our hands, win our remaining three games and we’re in top 6 and a Europa League spot.

The bad news...well, have you seen us playing....

We need to finish at least 6th in order to cement our status as part of the big six.

Falling into mid-table is a very dangerous thing.

I think some are looking down on the ECL too much (it is a comp specifically designed to give small nations side more representation), we did recently get knocked out by Dinamo Zagreb, and haven't one a trophy in forever, not really got the cheek to be picky about any competition. Also don't think it will be as poor quality as some are making out, potentially Roma, Villareal, Mönchengladbach, Feyenoord, Rennes, Copenhagen, Anderlecht, CSKA Moscow, and already confirmed Basel, AEK Athens, PAOK, Fenerbahçe, Trabzonspor (all pretty prestigious European sides) and sure more higher calibre sides will trickle down to the group stage and further on.

I think some are looking down on the ECL too much (it is a comp specifically designed to give small nations side more representation), we did recently get knocked out by Dinamo Zagreb, and haven't one a trophy in forever, not really got the cheek to be picky about any competition. Also don't think it will be as poor quality as some are making out, potentially Roma, Villareal, Mönchengladbach, Feyenoord, Rennes, Copenhagen, Anderlecht, CSKA Moscow, and already confirmed Basel, AEK Athens, PAOK, Fenerbahçe, Trabzonspor (all pretty prestigious European sides) and sure more higher calibre sides will trickle down to the group stage and further on.
I totally agree that we don't have much right to look down on such a competition... But I just can't convince myself to look forward to it haha.

Honestly feels like all it would do is stretch us thinner and thinner, weaker and weaker.

Would be nice if it could be a way to blood new talent etc but unfortunately because we've got that trophyless monkey on our back, there's always going to be too much pressure to dominate.

It will be a massive hindrance and is essentially the Intertoto Cup.

We need to finish at least 6th in order to cement our status as part of the big six.

Falling into mid-table is a very dangerous thing.
Nah, I want us to lose all our matches and finish as low as possible because we're too good to be playing in Europe if we don't finish in the top 4, then I'm going to spend my free time whining on the Internet about the players not having the winning DNA...

Once you are in the Europa cycle, it’s almost impossible to leave it (Conf league even more so) and clam out and finish fourth upwards

You do realise our players fly chartered, and you do understand what that means ?
Regional cities in the main do actually have airports, just because there is not a direct scheduled flight from England to many of them does not mean they don't actually exist.

I will gladly take your bet (unless that was a figure of speech) that the trips do not take on average 3x as long, or even twice as long on average for the players.
Exaggerating but I would imagine twice as long is a fair estimate

I think (but I’m not certain) that 1-4 get CL, 5th and 6th get Europa League and 7th get a place in the Europa Conference.
This is it. The only variable is Liverpool or Leicester are 4th, Chelsea win CL then they take the CL place from whoever comes 4th

yeah, you are right. Think I was getting confused with a Europa permutation!

It got screwy if Woolwich won Europa and Chelsea won CL but were out of top 5. I think then the 4th place team would have been out of CL, but now that Woolwich sucked their way out of the EL then 4th is CL no matter where Chelsea finish.

Mate, I've flown first class to the states and back 4+ times. Not quite private jet, I'll give you that, but no way on earth would I have been at my best to play football within 8 hours of the flight. Tbh, coming back this way from there, I'm usually jetlagged out of my mind for a week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom