Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tomo

Supporter
Memories fade over time. I can kind of remember Campbell leaving for Woolwich, Santini managing the club for a very short period, Hoddle not being the saviour we hoped. More recently the shit football and meltdown under AVB with Timmy coming in to save the season.

We have been closer to the bottom but honestly the football this season has been perhaps the worst I have seen. The whole thing has been a shitshow. The 90’s where hard but we did play some great football at times even if the defensive was a joke. This regression has been pretty brutal.

- Covid and no fans in the stadium (maybe for the better).
- Jose the Dinosaur and the total lack of coaching to the point we have regressed into a pub team with a few superstars.
- the ESL and the whole farce.
- Either Chav or City winning the CL and United probably winning the EL. While Hammers and Arse will probably finish above us.
- Kane giving up, maybe he will stay but only because no-one will pay the 150-200m it will cost to prise him away.
- Levy taking the piss. Fans in the gods being charged £60 a ticket.
- crap VAR still around and not improving.
- regression from a top 4/6 team to this.
- players looking like they have given up.
- losing to Zagreb 3-0

At a minimum we have gone back to the AVB collapse with a terrible manager going and a disillusioned squad. My hope is the failures spur the club on to action like they got Poch and got rid of the deadwood. But this has been one almighty shit season and for me the worst I can remember because of all the different things that have gone on at the same time.

Its our worst since 2003/4. No question. That was a shambles under Hoddle and then Pleat. Think it feels worse than a lot of the 90's largely down to the fact 3 or 4 years ago we were a really good young side with a really good manager. Its been a rapid decline.

Yes.
Not necassarily the league position,we have had much worse.
But everything else surrounding it. The kane story surfacing when there was still something to play for.
The lack of positive attitude from most of the team.
The utter cack that are some how first team regulars.
The fact we have no chance of netting a big name boss,but will work with someone that will tolerate Daniel.
Daniel effing Levy.
The dispondecy from normally very positive supporters.
The shit summer we are having etc etc.

Last edited:
It's been pretty miserable but hasn't left me feeling anywhere near as bad as lasagne-Gate and Chelsea beating Bayern.

They where hard although both of those totally out of the players control. Most of what has happened this season has been the club shooting itself in the foot and all the work to get to the top looks undone.

For me it's more painful because of what we've achieved in the last 5/6 or even last 10+ years leading up to this.

Someone on the match thread described it perfectly yesterday - it's like a team who gradually and impressively climbed a mountain, then simply fell down the other side.

Or perhaps more accurately (albeit less pleasing linguistically), gradually and impressively climbed the mountain, almost got to the top, then slipped, fell and plummeted in next to no time to the bottom. :(

For me it's more painful because of what we've achieved in the last 5/6 or even last 10+ years leading up to this.

Someone on the match thread described it perfectly yesterday - it's like a team who gradually and impressively climbed a mountain, then simply fell down the other side.

Or perhaps more accurately (albeit less pleasing linguistically), gradually and impressively climbed the mountain, almost got to the top, then slipped, fell and plummeted in next to no time to the bottom. :(
It's worse than that. We've plummeted hundreds of feet, from just below the summit and landed, injured, on a narrow ledge, with no way up or down.

There's fodder for tonight's bad dream :eek:

I think the main difference is the fan base have realized we will never , if we get any ,sustain , build on success.
Enic FC chase pounds over Glory and it ain't getting better

I think the main difference is the fan base have realized we will never , if we get any ,sustain , build on success.
Enic FC chase pounds over Glory and it ain't getting better

That is a very good point. Previously it was always let’s get the stadium money maker built then we can push up. Now it’s done and we are going backwards.

Much as Tim was a dick I much preferred his football to Jose/Mason/AVB. I was actually entertained for a few of the games.
I cannot disagree with that, but the level of cringe was unbearable for me . It depends also on personal stuff, I guess: back then I was in a worse place than now

Depends on how you define modern times I suppose. It'll be relative. To me modern times still means post-92 (ie the Premier League era). And in this case, it's not even close.

I cannot disagree with that, but the level of cringe was unbearable for me . It depends also on personal stuff, I guess: back then I was in a worse place than now

Yeh fair enough. Jose did me in, he had all the toxic personality of Tim but a worse style of football even than AVB. It was the worst of everything.

I think what's uniquely shit about where we are now, is that in under 2 years we went from Moura's clinching goal at Ajax to send us into the Champions League final, we had Harry, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Toby, Jan, Hugo all playing at pretty much a world class standard, we had one of the most coveted managers in the world in Poch, and the best new stadium in the world, repeated CL qualifications and.....

...now we look like a shambles of team about to start a 4 year rebuild with not enough money and a return to mid-table mediocrity and salt in the wound the goons who are utter shite are probably going to edge past us on the last day of the season.

It's that sick feeling that we had a generational opportunity with Harry, Dele and Son and we fucked it.

I think it is certainly the worst season we have had since George Graham years, and probably for longer than that.

The quality/style of football.
The total disconnect between the club and its fan base.

First time I have felt we are no longer Tottenham, and only way I think that comes back now is removal of the ownership.

Back
Top Bottom