Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe not the worst season but the one where the reality ran the most counter to expectations. As many others have said here context is key to the fan perception of a season. At the tail end of 2020 I was pretty confident. Five months on - disillusioned.

Everyone saying 90s compare the teams. This is without a doubt the worst season with the quality of players by far. We knew we were shit in the 90s and accepted it. No acceptance today whatsoever. Without kanes goals i think we wouldnt be far off Newcastle

Its the first season I've questioned the support of our fanbase. Boo the board by all means same goes for the officials and away players. Whilst I respect the right of every fan's right to decide their own way of venting displeasure and frustration I've never seen the merit in booing the players off at half time in the hope it will somehow gee them up for the second half.

I was in the Sarf and there was a section of the more knowledgeable attendees who voiced the suggestion (in their professional opinion) that Bale should come on and make a difference? When it came to pass and after a couple of missed flicks and runs down dead alleys he attempted to raise the noise a decibel and got booed for that.

I'm no saint and apologise to the more genteel who sat within earshot of me for the occasional expletive I felt compelled to deliver but I draw the line when it comes to hurling orchestrated bile and abuse at those who wear the lilywhite when a match is being played.

Not suggesting for one minute we follow the lead of other fans and have lobotomies in order to gleefully churn out verses of 'Glad all over' when we're losing 7-0 though we can try to get behind the team for the whole (for fans who stay that long?) 90+ minutes, even if we are playing shit and see how that works out.

At present, the Board are shit, the playing staff are shit and its looking like we may very well all deserve each other.

Two of the more (maybe) appropriate songs I didn't hear yesterday were.... 'Who ate all the pies' and 'Our support is fucking shit'.

I heard

'I hate Daniel Levy, Daniel Levy hates me' a few times.

Everyone saying 90s compare the teams. This is without a doubt the worst season with the quality of players by far. We knew we were shit in the 90s and accepted it. No acceptance today whatsoever. Without kanes goals i think we wouldnt be far off Newcastle

One of the very best squads talent wise ever but poorest motivation, tactics and coaching.

I don't think our current squad is that great tbh, a few standouts aside.

To add - obviously it is miles ahead of some of our '90s teams

I don't think our current squad is that great tbh, a few standouts aside.

To add - obviously it is miles ahead of some of our '90s teams

Not sure we have front 3 of Son, Kane and Bale. Even players who haven’t performed like Regulion and Bergwijn came in, looked great and then declined. When you players come in and decline rapidly it’s not a loss of talent but fundamental issues with training, coaching, tactics and mentality.

Like how Dembele, Rose played like shit but when Poch sorted them out and removed the likes of Kaboul and Ade from the dressing room things started to work. I don’t think we are going to be fixed just by signing a few stars. We are like United a few years ago, they went around signing all manner of stars and where still rubbish, you can’t use talent properly if the rest of it ain’t good. That being said we do need some sales and buys

Everyone keeps mentioning the heightened expectations being a factor in how awful the season feels now, and I suspect this is why it doesn't feel any worse for me than some of the awful 90s dross. Even when we beat Man City and Woolwich before Christmas, I was never convinced about the performances. They felt at the time like plucky backs to the wall performances and the whole thing felt incredibly fragile.

We had those very narrow and lucky wins against Burnely and Brighton and I could just feel that we were riding our luck, and just from experience of supporting Spurs it was a house of cards just waiting to come tumbling down. I wasn't at all convinced we would keep this luck up.

Everyone keeps mentioning the heightened expectations being a factor in how awful the season feels now, and I suspect this is why it doesn't feel any worse for me than some of the awful 90s dross. Even when we beat Man City and Woolwich before Christmas, I was never convinced about the performances. They felt at the time like plucky backs to the wall performances and the whole thing felt incredibly fragile.

We had those very narrow and lucky wins against Burnely and Brighton and I could just feel that we were riding our luck, and just from experience of supporting Spurs it was a house of cards just waiting to come tumbling down. I wasn't at all convinced we would keep this luck up.
I felt exactly the same re. our false position vs performances, except for the fact that that dinosaur, and others like him, have won tonnes of trophies with that backs to the wall 'jammy' style, so I still managed to somewhat ignore what I was seeing and allowed myself to hope.

Last edited:
I felt exactly the sae re. our false position vs performances, except fot the fact that that dinosaur, and others like him, have won tonnes of trophies with that backs to the wall 'jammy' style, so I still managed to somewhat ignore what I was seeing and allowed myself to hope.
Perfectly put. I had the same experience.

I felt exactly the sae re. our false position vs performances, except fot the fact that that dinosaur, and others like him, have won tonnes of trophies with that backs to the wall 'jammy' style, so I still managed to somewhat ignore what I was seeing and allowed myself to hope.
Oh I let myself hope, no doubt about it. But there was no expectation.

Looking at it pragmatically under a microscope on a decade by decade basis from 1960 we'd have to admit (those long enough in the tooth) the 60's were our glory years, the 70's were dreadful, the 80's were fun and exciting, the 90's were (flirting with relegation) naughty and the 2000's were mediocre.....however since 2009 I believe we have not finished below our par of 6th (albeit without adding silverware) and regularly participated in European competition.

We all like to win stuff but I for one don't support the view of rather winning a cup and getting relegated as a consequence. Ideally we set ourselves up as a club capable of competing on all fronts and we've been close on a number of occasions. Sadly the proverbial has hit us fans atm and its completely natural for the rank and file to react in the way they are currently.

I bet most of us can't wait for this season to be over and maybe give us time to re-group, recharge the batteries and reflect.....it can't get any worse, can it?:mourwhat:

I voted yes,I've been a Spurs fan since 1971,when those twats down the road done the double,I've seen us been relegated in 77 but I've never felt so disillusioned as I am now,I think we've gone back a mile in the last 18 months or so,all very well having the best stadium in the world but what good is that when you got the drivel that were playing last night,you know you've had a shite season when West Ham finish above you

I don't know if this is the worst season, but with the state of the world and the fact that I lost looking forward to watching Tottenham play, this is definitely the least I've been emotionally involved. Even the Cup final, it just didn't feel like it mattered? Or it was just another bottle?

Let's face it, just we spent years trying to get rid of the "Spursy" tag, turns out we've been Spursy for the last few seasons now.

We were spanked brutally by Liverpool and city that season if I remember correctly. Eriksen had some beautiful free kicks which saved us on more than one occasion
That’s the season Suarez was GOATing - we got hit for 5-6 around Christmas and AVB was gone the next day

Back
Top Bottom