Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I felt exactly the same re. our false position vs performances, except for the fact that that dinosaur, and others like him, have won tonnes of trophies with that backs to the wall 'jammy' style, so I still managed to somewhat ignore what I was seeing and allowed myself to hope.
There was hope this season and it was genuine hope. It wasn't delusional. We were in a cup final. We could have gone on in the FA Cup and we could have gone on in the Europa. For me the season changed at Zagreb. That was the time to sack Jose. Give a new man time before the League Cup final... OR .... since Levy decided to stick with Jose, he should have stuck with him till the end. Sacking him 6 days out from a final was ludicrous. This team could have won something this year. It feels bad this season because there was a real chance of winning something and we blew it.

One of the very best squads talent wise ever but poorest motivation, tactics and coaching.
We have the worst set of defenders in my 40 years following Spurs. Even through all the bad days, we usually had a defensive rock - a Graham Roberts, Gary Mabbutt, Sol Campbell, Ledley King, Jan & Toby (before they both got old and slow). A commanding beast of a centre half would change the dynamic significantly. That has to be the top objective this summer.

Looking at it pragmatically under a microscope on a decade by decade basis from 1960 we'd have to admit (those long enough in the tooth) the 60's were our glory years, the 70's were dreadful, the 80's were fun and exciting, the 90's were (flirting with relegation) naughty and the 2000's were mediocre.....however since 2009 I believe we have not finished below our par of 6th (albeit without adding silverware) and regularly participated in European competition.

We all like to win stuff but I for one don't support the view of rather winning a cup and getting relegated as a consequence. Ideally we set ourselves up as a club capable of competing on all fronts and we've been close on a number of occasions. Sadly the proverbial has hit us fans atm and its completely natural for the rank and file to react in the way they are currently.

I bet most of us can't wait for this season to be over and maybe give us time to re-group, recharge the batteries and reflect.....it can't get any worse, can it?:mourwhat:
Although I'd view thec70s differently, the first half as successful, two league Cup wins, another semi, a UEFA Cup win, another UEFA final, even the second half had a great second division season with the ossie and ricky stuff coming up.

Personally I thought the early 2000s were the worst. We weren't great in the 90s but we had some brilliant players at times, and still tried to play good football.

Edinburgh, Austin, Samways, Allen, they weren't world beaters but they always put the effort in.

We fell short a lot in games, but would at least try. There was spirit in the team in that decade. The Ardiles 'famous five' was a spectacular failure and we felt like an enigma that was always on the brink of turning the corner.

I was still young then, but I enjoyed that era.

Then Judas left and it was shit until Martin Jol took over.

Maybe it’s because I was born in 88, but I loved the 90s. Spurs were never expected to do anything so every single victory felt amazing, some of our wins this season almost put me to sleep. 1997/98 provides me with so much joy in the last few weeks of the season. Klinnsman returning, 6-2 against Wimbledon, even now that game can make me smile. This season was the worst in memory for me as expectations were high after what I thought was a strong transfer window, and serial winner Jose was going to win us a trophy. As the season progressed we not only bored our fan base to death but we hit new lows as the season progressed. The collapse at the end of the season, 3-0 in Europe, barely leaving our own half in the cup final, the super league, Kane leaving, Levy staying, listening to the Sky Sports agenda, VAR, no fans, players underperforming, players downing tools, finishing below Woolwich and West Ham. I don’t like the majority of our squad, I hate the ownership, I didn’t like both managers we have had.

Now that brings me back. I was actually at that game. I was 13 but remember it being pretty toxic. Poyet was sent off and Damien Duff tore our defence apart. Met Graeme Souness before the game somehow; he was a miserable cunt even then.
Was it in the Elbow Room?

Was it in the Elbow Room?
I can't remember the name of it to be honest but it was a bar(?) under the North Stand if I recall so it was defo in the stadium. Was with a local supporters club. Kazuyuki Toda (remember him?!) came in after the match as well. Met all the stars that day.

Edit: Oh actually met Steve Perryman too. But as I say I was 13 so he was before my time and I wasn't really clued in to who he was at that point. But I remember many of the older members of the supporters club acting like giddy kids which I found funny.

Although I'd view thec70s differently, the first half as successful, two league Cup wins, another semi, a UEFA Cup win, another UEFA final, even the second half had a great second division season with the ossie and ricky stuff coming up.
And no one can take that away from you, those memories are for you to cherish and recall in your own way. I simply make the comparison (as near as I am able ) to 10 years segments of our potted history but it is not an exact science I admit.

The silverware you mention was secured in the early (year ending in a 1) part of the decade with the latest occurring in the 92/93 season and it was almost 10 years before we added to it.

Ossie and Co's tenure ran from '78 to '88 so I used artistic licence to file them in the 80's archive. You are also quite right to allude to the Colin Lee era and the joyous return to the top flight, its just that I believe any decade in which we suffered relegation has to be described as dreadful.

Not the worst season. Far from it. A disaster 6 months. Yes. No doubt. The Liverpool back to back defeats changed a lot, then the Christmas shindig at Lamela’s gaff and the whole Regulion stuff got weird and there was no way back between the dressing room and manager, similar happened with Harry and Robbie Keane. It finished Keane at Spurs.

I suspect that the lack of CB in January didn’t help either and the whole shit show got toxic quite quickly. I have no more idea than anyone else, but the sacking appears to me to have been a “final” straw moment. Maybe there was an argument after Everton and then no way back. But despite everything, up to Leeds away we were still in with an outside chance of Top 4. And despite how it looks at the moment West Ham and Leicester have big questions to ask themselves too. Football is that fickle.

So yes a poor 6 months by any standards, but then we have a Championship level defence and an iffy midfield. Shit happens when your options are so poor. And that is why Hitchins and Levy need to fuck right off as that player recruiting is on them. End of.

Last edited:
One of the very best squads talent wise ever but poorest motivation, tactics and coaching.
Please stop talking shit about the quality of this squad.
This squad is rotten to the core and contains at least 12 players that don't give a fuck about Spurs.
Their lack of effort and pride is there for all to see and no manager on earth will change the piss poor attitude that they have.

You do get the sense that short of relegation, this is a near perfect storm for Levy and we’re really at a crossroads. We’ve had issues with the manager and our more talismanic and want-away players in the past, but not at the same exact time. We’re likely also to be without any meaningful European football next season.

The new manager’s probably the most critical issue at this point, but assuming we do get someone in that inspires some hope, we have the problem of Levy and Hitchen and their track record on playing talent management and squad building. Even assuming Kane goes for a tidy sum and/or we can let our deadwood go, how much confidence can we really have in the incomings, in terms of quality and timing?

It’s clearly going to be an eventful summer, and I’d like to believe that we’re all invested enough in Spurs that we will be behind the club if there are any positive moves and genuine intent. But we’re also at a point where we’ve truly had enough of Levy and company and have no patience left with more bullshit and myopic decisions.

It’s strange, maybe time changes how you feel, but I have never felt this apathy that I feel at the moment for the club. When we were shit in the 90,s and 2000s it didn’t matter , I lived for going to the Lane on a Saturday

It’s to early to psycho analyse, like I’ve said before maybe it was the amount of E,s I was doing lol

Far from the worst football results wise, but the fact we had Mourinho as manager makes it the worst for me. Being shit and not winning trophies I can handle but employing him for nearly two seasons destroyed any last remaining romantic notions I had about the ethos of our club.

Far from the worst football results wise, but the fact we had Mourinho as manager makes it the worst for me. Being shit and not winning trophies I can handle but employing him for nearly two seasons destroyed any last remaining romantic notions I had about the ethos of our club.
Looks who got his balls back now

Maybe it’s because I was born in 88, but I loved the 90s. Spurs were never expected to do anything so every single victory felt amazing, some of our wins this season almost put me to sleep. 1997/98 provides me with so much joy in the last few weeks of the season. Klinnsman returning, 6-2 against Wimbledon, even now that game can make me smile. This season was the worst in memory for me as expectations were high after what I thought was a strong transfer window, and serial winner Jose was going to win us a trophy. As the season progressed we not only bored our fan base to death but we hit new lows as the season progressed. The collapse at the end of the season, 3-0 in Europe, barely leaving our own half in the cup final, the super league, Kane leaving, Levy staying, listening to the Sky Sports agenda, VAR, no fans, players underperforming, players downing tools, finishing below Woolwich and West Ham. I don’t like the majority of our squad, I hate the ownership, I didn’t like both managers we have had.
It really has been an absolute shit show of a season hasn't it.

Back
Top Bottom