Switch to 4-4-2 if Kane leaves?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have tried 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 a bit this season; and neither formation seems to have worked.

I think the likely scenario for this transfer window if Kane leaves is that we bring in a new CF, RM, CB, and RB. Based on Alasdair Gold's reporting, who has reliable sources high up in the club, Andersen and Aarons are the most likely candidates for defensive roles. I doubt the new manager will have much of a say on transfers based on precedent, apart from whether to keep Bale.

With all that in mind, could a switch to a 4-4-2 as follows make sense?

[FORMATION=442,Lloris,Aarons,Alderweireld,Andersen,Davies/Reguilon,Bergwijn/New RM,Hojbjerg/Skipp,GLC/Ndombele,Sessegnon/Lucas,Bale/New CF,Son][/FORMATION]

Any new CF could be a risk, so there needs to be a contingency plan in case he takes time to settle in. I think playing Bale and Son up front plays to both of their strengths.

Both are quite clinical finishers. Bale has faced some criticism for not helping the RB enough when at RW, while Son has faced some criticism for being too negative on the ball when he picks it up in a deep position. Playing both up front negates those weaknesses. Meanwhile, playing alongside another CF may minimise the pressure on any new striker coming in.

A high pressing, aggressive 4-4-2 would be interesting depending on how we use the wingers and fullbacks. Kovac plays a 4-4-2 at Monaco which works very well. And Galtier at Lille as well for another example.

Obviously Red Bull has their teams run a variation with their 4-2-2-2 system as well.

We have tried 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 a bit this season; and neither formation seems to have worked.

I think the likely scenario for this transfer window if Kane leaves is that we bring in a new CF, RM, CB, and RB. Based on Alasdair Gold's reporting, who has reliable sources high up in the club, Andersen and Aarons are the most likely candidates for defensive roles. I doubt the new manager will have much of a say on transfers based on precedent, apart from whether to keep Bale.

[FORMATION=442,Lloris,Aarons,Alderweireld,Andersen,Davies/Reguilon,Bergwijn/New RM,Hojbjerg/Skipp,GLC/Ndombele,Sessegnon/Lucas,Bale/New CF,Son][/FORMATION]

Any new CF could be a risk, so there needs to be a contingency plan in case he takes time to settle in. I think playing Bale and Son up front plays to both of their strengths.

Both are quite clinical finishers. Bale has faced some criticism for not helping the RB enough when at RW, while Son has faced some criticism for being too negative on the ball when he picks it up in a deep position. Playing both up front negates those weaknesses. Meanwhile, playing alongside another CF may minimise the pressure on any new striker coming in.
i think we should have Levy and Hitchen up top , I have given up . so would like some comedy gold instead of success

I’m just picking the formation here; don’t shoot the messenger re. personnel.

Do you think having 2 in CM isn’t enough to control the game? We have 3 now and it doesn’t help.
No that is no problem . It's the calibre of the players . PEH is ok but limited , Celso, Ndom have no effect on games and the wingers are piss poor . Bergy one goal a season , Sess was scared of the ball . Full backs also poor.
I hope your right but we need players like Fernandes to improve the team .

For 4-4-2 to work I believe we need a couple of very mobile, complete central midfielders and we don’t have them. At the minute we have what I’d call specialized midfielders, players who are good at doing x but not so good at doing y. Lo Celso could ok in a CM2 as he’s got a bit of everything but I don’t think it’s enough. Unless we bring in someone like Ndidi, I wouldn’t think about the 4-4-2.

Of course there are variations of the 4-4-2, could be 4-2-2-2 with the two wide midfielders tucking in during build-up to create superiority in midfield but then I wouldn’t call that a classic 4-4-2.

Oh and Mourinho used 4-4-2 at times because the formation is good at defending deep in a two banks of four.

That centre midfield is horrendous. Holberg in. 442? We would get relegated

Agree with Bale and Son, perhaps playing with a new striker and rotating (Bale not gonna play regularly and Son can play wide) but that whole MF is shocking

Agree with Bale and Son, perhaps playing with a new striker and rotating (Bale not gonna play regularly and Son can play wide) but that whole MF is shocking
Agree the MF isn’t great, but that’s a reflection on the state of the squad. MF hasn’t been good in a 4-3-3 either. I really want us to sign Burundi’s, but sadly it looks like Woolwich will get him instead.

Glad you like the idea of Bale Son upfront.

It’s spelt Hojbjerg. 4-4-2 has historically worked well with one tenacious DM and a more attack minded partner.
Carlsberg isn't tenacious. His main strength is that he's not Harry Winks, and that's it. He's as much a weakness in our team as El Burro, Dier, Sanchez etc.etc. He wins the ball back a few times, plays it square or backwards, flails his arms, points, flails his arms, gets drawn out of position, loses his man, watches the goal go in, blames someone and flails his arms a bit more.

He is what he is, a bargain bin signing from a chairman who loves Primark.

Carlsberg isn't tenacious. His main strength is that he's not Harry Winks, and that's it. He's as much a weakness in our team as El Burro, Dier, Sanchez etc.etc. He wins the ball back a few times, plays it square or backwards, flails his arms, points, flails his arms, gets drawn out of position, loses his man, watches the goal go in, blames someone and flails his arms a bit more.

He's actually one of the highest in the PL this season in terms of successful tackles.

Anyway, if you look at my formation there is an option to play Skipp instead in midfield.

He's actually one of the highest in the PL this season in terms of successful tackles.

Anyway, if you look at my formation there is an option to play Skipp instead in midfield.
Skipp gives me hope, Barrios however is what is required. A real nasty bastard who does the donkey work, can pass, can tackle, can run, can score and do it for the entire 90 minutes every week.

No one has ever owned Messi the way Barrios did.

Spot on. Pointing trash

To me what is more important than formation is that I want to see us press. Whichever formation that manager deems best for that I'm fine with but I want to see us press and have the ball more. Watching us sit back and watch the other team pass around us the last two years has been dreadful.

As for specific formations I find it hard to fit our players into one (as I mentioned in another thread) because we have such a mish mash of individual pieces that don't work.

I am moving more towards favoring a 3 at the back system because I have changed to think it is a better fit for Reguilon and it seems easier to get WB's than classic FB's now. I think we could keep Doherty as a back-up in this formation as well as bring Sessegnon back as well. Keeping Doherty isn't ideal obviously but we have so much to move out we likely have to keep some of the trash.

The biggest issue for me is that we likely need 3 CBs if we do that. Rodon could play in the middle or on the left but probably would want two new starters alongside him, Toby could do for another year but we need to move on from him. Tanganga looks like he would fit great on the right in a 3 at the back system but I am not keen on him and Rodon starting together. I guess you could keep Davies for the 2nd team as the LCB in a back three but that is pretty uninspiring.

To me what is more important than formation is that I want to see us press. Whichever formation that manager deems best for that I'm fine with but I want to see us press and have the ball more. Watching us sit back and watch the other team pass around us the last two years has been dreadful.

As for specific formations I find it hard to fit our players into one (as I mentioned in another thread) because we have such a mish mash of individual pieces that don't work.

I am moving more towards favoring a 3 at the back system because I have changed to think it is a better fit for Reguilon and it seems easier to get WB's than classic FB's now. I think we could keep Doherty as a back-up in this formation as well as bring Sessegnon back as well. Keeping Doherty isn't ideal obviously but we have so much to move out we likely have to keep some of the trash.

The biggest issue for me is that we likely need 3 CBs if we do that. Rodon could play in the middle or on the left but probably would want two new starters alongside him, Toby could do for another year but we need to move on from him. Tanganga looks like he would fit great on the right in a 3 at the back system but I am not keen on him and Rodon starting together. I guess you could keep Davies for the 2nd team as the LCB in a back three but that is pretty uninspiring.
I suggested 3-5-2 a while back but many, including you, were not happy with my idea. I think we're both on the same page now- in that it would only work if we bought a top quality CB and RWB.

I suggested 3-5-2 a while back but many, including you, were not happy with my idea. I think we're both on the same page now- in that it would only work if we bought a top quality CB and RWB.

I didn't like it last year because it seemed we were doing it in large part to work in Doherty. I don't think 3 at the back works well when our top 3 CB's are Sanchez, Toby and Dier as really you want all 3 of those guys in the middle role (well ideally you don't want Sanchez or Dier there at all). I also think that in the second half of the season Reguilon has shown he is looking more like a LWB than a LB. So yes I am much more on board with it now than I was last year.

I am not sure how the MF would work, but I think that is a mess no matter what formation we play. We likely need changes there but need to focus on other areas of the team so will have to go with another season of meh in the MF.

Formation depends on the striker we get to replace Kane.

Only time Son had played well as a striker was when he was working off Llorente. If we get a replacement striker in the mould of Llorente where son gets the knock downs it might work. But it's too predictable and shouldn't be our first method of trying to score goals.

There aren't even many players in that mould of a old fashioned 9 you can get these days.

I don't really know the answer. Danny Ings is an intelligent player that can bring others into play. I would rather go for someone like that.

The alternative would be a Watkins type player that runs the channels. This would mean just lumping it behind the defence, given our inability to play from the back its not impossible to think this could happen. Of course I really am not a fan of this approach. With Skipp coming back I've a slight glimmer of hope we will be able to transition the ball through midfield.

But all of this is dependant on getting a manager first.

Back
Top Bottom