Are the expectations of a top 6 club too much?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another season draws to a painful end and of which at the start promised so much and for brief moments we thought, yes it’s happening a cup final, a realistic chance of European glory (personally think we could have made at least the final) but no crushing disappointment again, same old, same old but is it time to just lower our expectations, perhaps most have we are Tottenham Hotspur we all know the script we know how it ends... a new manager is imminent new ideas ,hopefully some new players as well but will that change the expectations of supporters? Come the new season threads will be posted “want top four” want a cup” perhaps we put too much pressure on ourselves! off the field we are sound call Levy all you want but financially he’s the dogs! On the field different story we just don’t match up for what ever reason we ain’t at the races and I can’t see next season being any better we are on the verge of losing our best player our only player........new guy comes in coach/manager and hopefully the right one but more importantly he gets time, this is a cut throat business though time will tell with that........but is it time to admit we ain’t up to it on the field take the pressure of and just enjoy the football and what ever will be will be.

Kane hinted at the answer in his interview. We have no real leaders in the team apart from him. The best teams we have had recently were full of leaders, we had them all over the pitch.

Another season draws to a painful end and of which at the start promised so much and for brief moments we thought, yes it’s happening a cup final, a realistic chance of European glory (personally think we could have made at least the final) but no crushing disappointment again, same old, same old but is it time to just lower our expectations, perhaps most have we are Tottenham Hotspur we all know the script we know how it ends... a new manager is imminent new ideas ,hopefully some new players as well but will that change the expectations of supporters? Come the new season threads will be posted “want top four” want a cup” perhaps we put too much pressure on ourselves! off the field we are sound call Levy all you want but financially he’s the dogs! On the field different story we just don’t match up for what ever reason we ain’t at the races and I can’t see next season being any better we are on the verge of losing our best player our only player........new guy comes in coach/manager and hopefully the right one but more importantly he gets time, this is a cut throat business though time will tell with that........but is it time to admit we ain’t up to it on the field take the pressure of and just enjoy the football and what ever will be will be.
If we want to plod along in mid table and just hope for the best perhaps we could adjust our ticket prices accordingly, to match those of say Villa and Palace.

No

Kane hinted at the answer in his interview. We have no real leaders in the team apart from him. The best teams we have had recently were full of leaders, we had them all over the pitch.
There can be a relationship between winning and performance. Was Jan, for example, a better leader by disposition than Dier? I sort of suspect not. BUT Jan was a magnificent defender, and I expect the fact that his teammates could utterly count on him was something that helped make him a leader. Whereas, players like Sissoko and Dier, who shout and point a lot but then go braindead at key moments, probably lose all credibility by virtue of their incompetence actually playing football.

Being one of the richest clubs in the world , I don’t think the expectancy is too much but the reality is we are a poorly run football team who’s more interested in property & infrastructure.

There can be a relationship between winning and performance. Was Jan, for example, a better leader by disposition than Dier? I sort of suspect not. BUT Jan was a magnificent defender, and I expect the fact that his teammates could utterly count on him was something that helped make him a leader. Whereas, players like Sissoko and Dier, who shout and point a lot but then go braindead at key moments, probably lose all credibility by virtue of their incompetence actually playing football.
Being a leader has nothing to do with shouting and pointing. It means taking responsibility for doing what needs to be done in the game. That means the preparation has to be done right and then the player has to step up to do his job when it matters.

We have too many that panic or hide when the heat comes on, and you wonder about how well they prepare really. Mason was like Kane, driven to get the last 1 per cent out of his talent. He should be able to spot a wrong-un and also see who has the right attitude, I hope he stays with the club.

Being one of the richest clubs in the world , I don’t think the expectancy is too much but the reality is we are a poorly run football team who’s more interested in property & infrastructure.
We are positioned well to be a genuinely elite club, given our resources, stadium, revenue possibilities, and location. Levy deserves credit for much of this. (Though our debt position is alarming.)

But Levy has also made loads of terrible *football* decisions--objectively, if he were a director of football, he'd have been fired five times over already--and until he lets someone with expertise in the actual sport take the reins, we should expect disappointment.

Verts was a different level. He made everyone from Toby to Sanchez who played next to him look great. Shame his legs went, but what a player.

We are positioned well to be a genuinely elite club, given our resources, stadium, revenue possibilities, and location. Levy deserves credit for much of this. (Though our debt position is alarming.)

But Levy has also made loads of terrible *football* decisions--objectively, if he were a director of football, he'd have been fired five times over already--and until he lets someone with expertise in the actual sport take the reins, we should expect disappointment.
Sadly I can’t see him going . He clearly is a hindrance to the footballing side of the club. I don’t think , as we are at the moment , a particularly attractive investment to any potential buyers unless they’re only interested in property & Franchise

I can’t see Lewis investing a lot into the team so it looks like we’re set for dark times . We seem to be always taking one step forward & two back . The perpetual “ transition “ club

And why should fans of the ninth richest club in the world, and the 5th richest in England not have top 6 expectations

deloitte-uk-dfml21-info-slide1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom