Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll miss the Danny Rose of four years ago, he was probably my favourite player. Unfortunately it was all undone by that interview in the rag that masquerades as a newspaper; the timing was dreadful and I think he showed disrespect to Poch and the team, too. However, I don't wish him ill and hope he finds some inner peace in the future.
Wise words from Mrs P!

The funny thing about it is:

The same people slagging Rose off for that infamous "Google players" interview are the same ones that are somehow hoping Kane puts pressure on Levy to spend money.

Why do you think Rose did it? he wanted the same damn thing as the supporters did. For Levy to spend.

I'll miss the Danny Rose of four years ago, he was probably my favourite player. Unfortunately it was all undone by that interview in the rag that masquerades as a newspaper; the timing was dreadful and I think he showed disrespect to Poch and the team, too. However, I don't wish him ill and hope he finds some inner peace in the future.
This!

On his day he was brilliant. One of the only players to show up for the CL Final too.

He's opinionated but that's better than being another 'yeah..no...erm...we need to do better' robot.
His interviews were great, really insightful and absolutely not the beige media trained stuff given by 99.9% of footballers today. All with the exception of his current bun interview, which was totally self-indulgent, pushing for a bigger contract or a move away to a club where he will get more money, it was deliberately timed to cause as much disruption as possible (the day before the season started), it undermined the Manager, disrespected is teammates, it was a hand-grenade that he threw.

It served absolutely no purpose, nothing was achieved or gained from it
1. Did he get a new deal? No
2. Did he get a move up north? No
3. Did he get players he didn't have to google? No
4. Did he really get selected ever again? Not really (Davies has played more than him in half the time)
5. As a consequence did he lose his England place? Yes.

I have zero ill feelings for him, for approx two years he was the best LB in the country (one of the best in the World), I loved watching him play and will always remember him in what is now one of my favourite Spurs teams of all time. I will, unfortunately, also remember his interview but unlike him when I look back at his career I think he will have the biggest regret than me given how his career has gone following it.

EDIT!!!!! Very, very important for him to be remembered as one of the biggest reasons we didn't get completely turned over in the first leg vs Ajax. To this day the first 20mins of that game was the best I have ever seen from any team that has played against us, they absolutely blew us away. The person most responsible to stem their flow was Rose. He gave them a game that they didn't want. He got in their faces, he became a bastard, they started to wilt, other teammates followed from his example and Ajax were no longer the free-flowing team and we went to Amsterdam 0-1. I will never forget the guts he showed in this game.

Wish him all the best and I hope we see him at The Lane as one of us for many years to come.

Last edited:
Shame about the last few years. To bring a bit positivity back on this thread, lean back and look at his screamer vs the Goons. Try to imagine how it feels when we score like that vs that lot.

I took an American friend to that game. He still says it was the best atmosphere he has ever experienced at a sporting event, not difficult compared to American sports of course, but he has been to lots of games in the pl and round Europe. And that moment was just mental, we ended up half way down the stand.

The thing is, teams that win stuff don’t have a bad apple in the team. Tell me one winning team that has a negative nancy like Rose in the team or even squad?

Spurs never dealt with him, they probably couldn’t after he revealed mental health issues, but he was a big reason why we didn’t achieve all we should. He was the Ozil of WHL. sure he had the odd good game but the negative shit behind the scenes helped to bring us down.

I can’t remember one other player in the Amazon doco putting their arm around him - he ostracised himself during Poch era and it continued with the Special one. I remember Rose saying that Jose appointment gave him a new chance, well he fucked it up. No one to blame but himself.

The thing is, teams that win stuff don’t have a bad apple in the team. Tell me one winning team that has a negative nancy like Rose in the team or even squad?

Spurs never dealt with him, they probably couldn’t after he revealed mental health issues, but he was a big reason why we didn’t achieve all we should. He was the Ozil of WHL. sure he had the odd good game but the negative shit behind the scenes helped to bring us down.

I can’t remember one other player in the Amazon doco putting their arm around him - he ostracised himself during Poch era and it continued with the Special one. I remember Rose saying that Jose appointment gave him a new chance, well he fucked it up. No one to blame but himself.
The thing with Rose is that there's always the possibility that we let him down in the psych department. I never though about the possibility that maybe it was his way of saying he needed more help (mentally) from the club and we sort of hung him out to dry. The sad thing is that I wouldn't out that past Levy.

I don't know if we should have just sold him when that interview came out either though, and I guess for foresight sake the latter probably would've been the best option all around.

The thing with Rose is that there's always the possibility that we let him down in the psych department. I never though about the possibility that maybe it was his way of saying he needed more help (mentally) from the club and we sort of hung him out to dry. The sad thing is that I wouldn't out that past Levy.

I don't know if we should have just sold him when that interview came out either though, and I guess for foresight sake the latter probably would've been the best option all around.

Sorry are you saying that Levy knew he needed some sort of psychological help but ignored it so he could ? I don't even know what the implication would be that Levy would gain from ignoring it.

I mean I hate Levy and want him out of the club but I am not sure there is much to go on to say that he would ignore someone clearly needing help mentally.

Had a good 2 year spell the rest of the time he was poor.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

I took an American friend to that game. He still says it was the best atmosphere he has ever experienced at a sporting event, not difficult compared to American sports of course, but he has been to lots of games in the pl and round Europe. And that moment was just mental, we ended up half way down the stand.
Yeah, I've never really gotten the "had his best moment in his debut" comments. You can count on your hands the number of people who have had a moment better than that one in a Tottenham shirt. And maybe on one hand. It really just couldn't get better than that unless it was a cup final.

Sorry are you saying that Levy knew he needed some sort of psychological help but ignored it so he could ? I don't even know what the implication would be that Levy would gain from ignoring it.

I mean I hate Levy and want him out of the club but I am not sure there is much to go on to say that he would ignore someone clearly needing help mentally.
Oh everything is ever write regarding behind the doors is always going to be pure speculation.

It was just what I really got off the documentary, the way it seemed like he had to hunt down Levy to have a chat in the first place I suppose.

Danny Rose seems like the type of person that you call in to the office and ask them how they're really doing he'd be very honest with you.

I don't know, maybe it's just the sentimental side seeing as he was the longest serving member of our club for a time. Also, Im not one of the fortunate fans who got to see Gazza's epic goal against Woolwich and I'd heard things of legend about it. I guess it's just that Rose goal is always going to be that legendary moment I'd always heard so much about but rarely ever got to see growing up. Probably one of, if not, the highlight of my Tottenham following time. That and beating Jose's Chelsea 2-1 in 2006.

Yeah, I've never really gotten the "had his best moment in his debut" comments. You can count on your hands the number of people who have had a moment better than that one in a Tottenham shirt. And maybe on one hand. It really just couldn't get better than that unless it was a cup final.
Everyone conveniently forgets that he lost it in the dressing room at half-time and Redknapp subbed him during the break.

Back
Top Bottom