352/532 Formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Basically my question here is who benefits from that formation and who doesn't.

I think Dele/Lamela won't fit in that formation as both are CAM'S or more advanced midfielders which doesn't work.
Bergwijn/Lucas have played false 9 before so that could work as 'part of the two' Bergwijn even as a RWB.

I think the biggest benificaries are the defenders. Reguilon/Doherty/Sess are really suited to playing WB.
Tanganga at RCB would make a lot of sense as could Ben Davies/Rodon in a back 3 which they play internationally. Alderweireld likewise has done well in a back 3.

To be honest I think it benefits more players than it doesn't.
Obviously Conte would want to bin some players anyway if he doesn't rate them or if he doesn't believe they will fight for the squad (cough cough Aurier) but this squad seems in general quite well setup for a 5-3-2/3-5-2.

The 3-5-2 would hurt classic #10's, classic fullbacks, and classic wingers.

It benefits tweener CB's, wingback types, and creative deeper-lying midfielders.

Only Aurier and arguably Reguilon really fit the former categories, perhaps Lamela and Lucas.

We're full of the latter categories. Ndombele, GLC and PEH make total sense as the midfield 3 in that system. Kane, Son, Dele, Bale, and Lucas would be lots of quality and depth up top. Squint and Reguilon, Sess, Doherty and maybe Bergwijn could give you a fullback rotation. Skipp can spell PEH.

We would need more options at those number 8 positions (Dele and Lamela would fail there, Winkssoko not good enough), and obviously the backline remains a big problem. Playing out of the back with Lloris and Hart is also scary.

But it makes a lot more pieces fit than the generic 4-2-3-1 does at this point.

Last edited:

It benefits tweener CB's, wingback types, and creative deeper-lying midfielders.

Only Aurier and arguably Reguilon really fit the former categories, perhaps Lamela and Lucas.

We're full of the latter categories. Ndombele, GLC and PEH make total sense as the midfield 3 in that system.
Don't forget Sess, Doherty, and Stevie B. We have like 720 games next seasonbecasue of the ECL. They will have opportunities.

Probably hurts Dele the most as he is really our only pure #10.
I like him more in the Conte Lautaro Martinez role than the Poch Eriksen role. Anyway I don't think he's in our best XI either way.

At Chelsea, did Conte not play a 5-2-3?

Hazard Costa Pedro as the front 3.
True. Then he did a lot of Hazard and Morata up top his second season to much lesser effect.

Son Kane Bale/Lucas/Bergwijn certainly gives us the front 3 option as well.

I like Son and Kane as a duo though. They have the combo of pace, technical ability, and understanding with one another to replicate the Lukaku/Lautaro thing that tore Serie A to shreds.

I like him more in the Conte Lautaro Martinez role than the Poch Eriksen role. Anyway I don't think he's in our best XI either way.

True. Then he did a lot of Hazard and Morata up top his second season to much lesser effect.

Son Kane Bale/Lucas/Bergwijn certainly gives us the front 3 option as well.

I like Son and Kane as a duo though.
Pretty certain that Bale is gone, based off of the manages comments today.

3-4-3

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Rodon
Doherty Hojbjerg Lo Celso Regulion
Bergwijn Kane Son

3-5-2

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Rodon
Doherty Ndombele Hojbjerg Lo Celso Regulion
Kane Son

Actually 3-5-2 looks to me the best suited. Allows Doherty and Regulion to play in their natural positions, puts a 3 man strong midfield and lets Rodon and Tanganga use their mobility as CB’s.

3-5-2

Lloris
Tanganga Toby Rodon
Doherty Ndombele Hojbjerg Lo Celso Regulion
Kane Son
Looking at this team, I'd say Conte would want four first team players: 2 centre halves, 1 central midfielder (upgrade on hojbjerg) and a right wing-back. And I think that's a minimum, as he might not be that keen on N'Dombele or Lo Celso either.

But 4 signings would be a good starting point, I think. Not completely impossible.

We're full of the latter categories. Ndombele, GLC and PEH make total sense as the midfield 3 in that system. Kane, Son, Dele, Bale, and Lucas would be lots of quality and depth up top. Squint and Reguilon, Sess, Doherty and maybe Bergwijn could give you a fullback rotation. Skipp can spell PEH.

We would need more options at those number 8 positions (Dele and Lamela would fail there, Winkssoko not good enough), and obviously the backline remains a big problem. Playing out of the back with Lloris and Hart is also scary.

But it makes a lot more pieces fit than the generic 4-2-3-1 does at this point.

Maybe I am putting too much credit to the video posted in the Conte thread about his 3-5-2 system at Inter but based on that PEH is not a good fit because in that video they explained that the deep lying midfielder (Brozovic) was instrumental in progressing the ball from the back 3 to the MF and PEH is terrible at that. Conte will live his motor but not sure what role he will play. I imagine he will be forced into that role but I don't think it is a good fit as well.

As for others I think most have covered it well. Kane and Son would make for a good pair upfront. I think if Kane goes then I would actually be fine with DCL coming in to replace him in this set up. I think that Ndombele and GLC could work as the 2 MFers with the deep lying especially if we get a better option than PEH in the deep lying role. If we stay with PEH we will still have similar problems we do now. Toby, Rodon, Tanganga and Davies all work as CB's in a back 3 but the last 3 should all be 2nd team not starters. Reguilon, Sessegon, Doherty with a starting RWB would be a solid group of WB's.

I think if they go to a 3-4-3 that would work better for PEH but we would need to bring in a MF to play next to him and it would be worse for Tanguy/GLC. I don't think it fits because it would really only be to make things better for PEH than the others on the team.

Think he's gone but Juan Foyth would have been perfect for this.

The problem with Foyth under this system is the same as it is under any system. He is not good enough to be a starter and is not better than Tanganga who offers the same skill set so how does he fit?

Maybe if we get two top level CB's maybe we could start one of them at RCB with those two and then have the other as the back-up but I just don't see the value of having both Foyth and Tanganga as they really seem to overlap each other.

Back
Top Bottom