352/532 Formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surely we'll be all over Skriniar if we land Conte.

Its a connection made with any manager going into any new job, but how often do managers really join a new team and take players from the old one with them?

I have it in mind its far less than seems to be thought.

That said, we do have a long standing interest in Skriniar, and Inter do need to sell...

I also wonder if a back 3 would be the making of the likes of Rodon and Tanganga, could be we already have the makings of a good defence.

Id be fine with this

Most of all what I like is players moving purposefully into spaces, they know exactly where they are meant to be and are actively doing it - rather than reactively chasing shadows.

Have to love when a team is obviously coached, wouldnt that be nice?!

3-5-2 is Contes formation. He played 3-4-3 only when he didn't have the pieces for a 3-5-2. Also, considering how everyone in this bastard league plays with a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, the 3-5-2 is perfect against that formation because it allows everyone to mark man for man in the defence and midfield, while when attacking the 3-5-2 out-numbers the 4-3-3 because of the wing-backs pushing forward (Hakimi did that a lot for Inter this year).

When it comes to players, I've seen a lot of people going for GLC - Ndombele - Hojbjerg in the midfield. That would work under Guardiola, not Conte. Conte wants at the very least 2 engines/warriors in the midfield, so it would be far more likely to see Skippy there or, god forbid, Sissoko. The reason why Inter and Juve worked in the past is because the midfield could withstand and outrun the teams that pressure a lot without the ball to get it back as soon as possible (the 4-3-3 of Guardiola or Sarri for example). Brozovic - Barrella - Sensi or Vidal - Pirlo - Marchisio were nowhere near good enough when it comes to on the ball (guess who aside), but they could run for days.

Another thing Conte is perfect at is identifying misfiring wingers and turning them into effective wing-backs. He did it at Inter with Candreva/Perisic, at Chelsea with Moses and I'd like to think at Juve with Lichtsteiner, but I'm not quite sure if he played under Conte or if he came at the same time Allegri came. This wouldn't be that much of an issue for us down the left-wing, because we have 2 natural LWB in Reguilon and Sess, but, down the RWB, we only have Doherty, so he could turn to Bergwijn, and less likely but still possible, Lucas, to become that RWB that has the freedom of moving forward, since Skippy/Hojbjerg would turn back without the ball, effectively making it a back 4.

When it comes to the attack, as long as Kane stays, we'll have no issue with Conte. He and Son are great for Contes system, but even Dele could play in the Lautaro/Tevez/Sanchez role, alongside Kane, if Conte sees in a match that Son is having his off-days.

The pieces are there for Conte, obviously upgrades are needed, but the spine of the team is great for his tactics. Hopefully Levy gets it done, and properly backs Conte, because the man, while scum in his playing days, knows how to organise a team, and makes it greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:
3 at the back requires mobile defenders who can act like full backs in situations so that should be good news for Rodon, Tanganga and even Sanchez. Shame Foyth is off as he is class in possession and quite mobile.

Ideally you want an out and out leader in the middle of the 3 and that is the issue.

Why?

Seems like an odd thing to hate out of principle.
It seems much more challenging to get 3 CBs in sync than 2. We probably always had dumbarses trying it but typically it has been a comedy disaster. You also have to have a good blend in the 3 and at least 1 great ball player among them as they’re going to have to move up into CM in possession and not be shit, those players can’t be found in the bargain bin Levy goes for.

I have the same reservations.

I have a strong hatred and contempt for any formation that involves 3 CBs.
I feel the same.
Might of mentioned it once, but think I got away with it.

I fucking HATE 3 at the back.

Good point, though I thought he was ok there in a back 3 (which I hate)

I think I would go 3 at the back( and I hate 3 at the back), bring Reggie on at LWB, Bale for Lucas.

I'm not happy. I fucking HATE 3 at the back,

I hate 3 at the back.

I've been thinking about this 3 at the back, which I hate.

"I FUCKING HATE 3 AT THE BACK

Now you know why I fucking HATE 3 atb.

When it comes to players, I've seen a lot of people going for GLC - Ndombele - Hojbjerg in the midfield. That would work under Guardiola, not Conte. Conte wants at the very least 2 engines/warriors in the midfield, so it would be far more likely to see Skippy there or, god forbid, Sissoko. The reason why Inter and Juve worked in the past is because the midfield could withstand and outrun the teams that pressure a lot without the ball to get it back as soon as possible (the 4-3-3 of Guardiola or Sarri for example). Brozovic - Barrella - Sensi or Vidal - Pirlo - Marchisio were nowhere near good enough when it comes to on the ball (guess who aside), but they could run for days.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding the bolded part are you saying that the players you mentioned weren't good with the ball?

All those guys are much better on the ball compared to PEH and Sissoko who you listed. I think GLC has the motor/engine to work in a MF under Conte.

To me what we seem to be missing is a versatile MF like Brozovic, Vidal, Marchisio that can play multiple roles and is good with the ball and defensively as well as a deep lying play maker like Pirlo or Brozovic.

It seems much more challenging to get 3 CBs in sync than 2. We probably always had dumbarses trying it but typically it has been a comedy disaster. You also have to have a good blend in the 3 and at least 1 great ball player among them as they’re going to have to move up into CM in possession and not be shit, those players can’t be found in the bargain bin Levy goes for.

I have the same reservations.

I see somewhat of the opposite. Many teams that play 3 at the back seem to be able to get guys that struggle in a partnership to work better because of their specific skills and what they are asked to do.

I think you obviously want the right kind of mix of players but with Conte's experience I have little concern that he can't make it work.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding the bolded part are you saying that the players you mentioned weren't good with the ball?

All those guys are much better on the ball compared to PEH and Sissoko who you listed. I think GLC has the motor/engine to work in a MF under Conte.

To me what we seem to be missing is a versatile MF like Brozovic, Vidal, Marchisio that can play multiple roles and is good with the ball and defensively as well as a deep lying play maker like Pirlo or Brozovic.
They're more like the Hendersons, Wanyamas and Kantes of the world instead of Dembele, Thiago or KDB. That's why I said that these guys resemble Hojbjerg for us. He knows how to play with the ball, but it's not his biggest strength compared to someone like Ndombele. Pirlo was the only one that was brilliant on the ball, and even he was played as the deepest-lying playmaker in the midfield 3, with Vidal and Marchisio staying further forward. He has those 2 engines with Skipp and Hojbjerg, and the last role will be match dependant between GLC, Ndombele and Sissoko, with Ndombele being the clear favourite most of the time based on the fact that Conte REALLY wanted him at Inter.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if Conte sees Sissoko as a RWB, just like Poch tried to make him but failed when he played as a RB v Brighton away (where Hugo got injured and we lost 3-0).

They're more like the Hendersons, Wanyamas and Kantes of the world instead of Dembele, Thiago or KDB. That's why I said that these guys resemble Hojbjerg for us. He knows how to play with the ball, but it's not his biggest strength compared to someone like Ndombele. Pirlo was the only one that was brilliant on the ball, and even he was played as the deepest-lying playmaker in the midfield 3, with Vidal and Marchisio staying further forward. He has those 2 engines with Skipp and Hojbjerg, and the last role will be match dependant between GLC, Ndombele and Sissoko, with Ndombele being the clear favourite most of the time based on the fact that Conte REALLY wanted him at Inter.

I agree with all that although I don't see the resemblance to Hojbjerg but think you have more confidence in PEH's ability with the ball than I do. It was a major problem last season that he can't move the ball from the CB's to the more advanced MFers and it looks like it will still be a problem under Conte.

I think we will play PEH because but I don't see who is going to play the Brozovic/Pirlo role of dominating the ball and moving it from deep.

And if Skipp is going to start for us next year, yikes.

Edit:

I think Sissoko is gone. After his comments and with his zero ability there should be no place for him. Maybe I am basing this on hope more than reality but if Conte sees Sissoko as a useful piece and part of the squad I actually have zero interest in him coming in. That would ruin all the excitement I currently have for him and indicate that his time here will be a disaster.

Its a connection made with any manager going into any new job, but how often do managers really join a new team and take players from the old one with them?

I have it in mind its far less than seems to be thought.

That said, we do have a long standing interest in Skriniar, and Inter do need to sell...
Right, Conte left Inter because he didn't agree with selling his players, and one of those players has previously been a target of the club in our position of greatest need.

Now, there were rumors at the time that he'd fallen out with Conte, and who knows what Paratici thinks, but in general it would seem that anyone Inter is selling we would have some interest.

Hakimi would be a dream of course, not sure if he'd be willing to come to Spurs though.

Matteo Darmian on a free? :pochunimpressed:

I agree with all that although I don't see the resemblance to Hojbjerg but think you have more confidence in PEH's ability with the ball than I do. It was a major problem last season that he can't move the ball from the CB's to the more advanced MFers and it looks like it will still be a problem under Conte.

I think we will play PEH because but I don't see who is going to play the Brozovic/Pirlo role of dominating the ball and moving it from deep.

Edit:

I think Sissoko is gone. After his comments and with his zero ability there should be no place for him. Maybe I am basing this on hope more than reality but if Conte sees Sissoko as a useful piece and part of the squad I actually have zero interest in him coming in. That would ruin all the excitement I currently have for him and indicate that his time here will be a disaster.
Same goes for any new manager. Surely they will watch last seasons lowlights and quickly conclude that Sissoko is destined for a career nowhere near Spurs

Oh I get the logic, I suppose I was thinking a bit more broadly - how often does that sort of thing really happen?

In this instance it might, given Inters situation - but I wouldnt be surprised at all if we just look elsewhere.

I see somewhat of the opposite. Many teams that play 3 at the back seem to be able to get guys that struggle in a partnership to work better because of their specific skills and what they are asked to do.

I think you obviously want the right kind of mix of players but with Conte's experience I have little concern that he can't make it work.

I still feel the pain of watching past spurs teams fall apart in a slapstick affair with 3 back there.

You'd certainly think a man who has won may titles with that approach can do it with the right tools, hopefully he doesn't stand for Levy's bullshit signing on promises because surely no-one can be expected to do it with the dross we have back there now.

Oh I get the logic, I suppose I was thinking a bit more broadly - how often does that sort of thing really happen?

In this instance it might, given Inters situation - but I wouldnt be surprised at all if we just look elsewhere.

I think Carvalho went everywhere with Jose didn't he?

Recently James went to Everton largely because of Ancelotti but I am not sure if he followed him right after they were together at the same club the season before.

I don't think we are likely to have half of Inter Milan on our squad next season, but with their current situation, which you acknowledged, and the switch in systems I think it is reasonable to think that Conte might look to bring in one or two guys who can help make the switch easier and that we can get on a deal.

Edit:

Also, why the concern re: Skipp starting? Surely a much bigger change of him doing well and improving, than the basic PEH

Also, why the concern re: Skipp starting? Surely a much bigger change of him doing well and improving, than the basic PEH

My concern is that he is 20 years old with one year of Championship experience and it seems like if he comes in he will be relied on to have a very important role.

I think it makes more sense to ease him in and give him a chance to show that he is ready for the jump right into the starting 11 of a team with top 4 ambitions. If he is ready then he can replace Hojbjerg or someone else if we bring them into the team in the summer. There will be plenty of games for him to play in.

My concern is that he is 20 years old with one year of Championship experience and it seems like if he comes in he will be relied on to have a very important role.

I think it makes more sense to ease him in and give him a chance to show that he is ready for the jump right into the starting 11 of a team with top 4 ambitions. If he is ready then he can replace Hojbjerg or someone else if we bring them into the team in the summer. There will be plenty of games for him to play in.
If he’s no better than Holberg after a stellar season in the Championship, we may as well sell him as PEH ain’t good enough. I would rather throw him in with 15 consecutive games to see how he does

Back
Top Bottom