Steve Hitchen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HITCHENS IN OR OUT?

• Total voters
Are you seriously saying I'm not fit enough now? :llorishuh:
The short list has ypu up against Denise Van outen and Kelly Brook. Just leaving it that.
GIF by Entertainment Tonight

Hitchen had been tasked with drawing up that list of managers who would fit not only the profile for Tottenham but being able to work within their current pandemic-hit financial state.

However, not only was that list dispensed with following the inability to prise Pochettino away from Paris, but while that list was being crafted so the club's hierarchy was also making moves, unbeknownst to him, to bring Juventus director of football Fabio Paratici to the club.

Evoking memories of Martin Jol only finding out Juande Ramos was set to replace him following a photographed clandestine hotel meeting between Spurs and the Spaniard, so those who know Hitchen claim he only found out late in the process that Paratici, a friend of his, was being wooed to join the club.

football.london understands that a number of staff and players at Tottenham have been left unhappy with what has happened to Hitchen, who is a popular figure within the club.

It is understood though that Spurs want him to remain within the football structure to work with Paratici.
I mean where do you even start with this?

God am I sick of people who are terrible being described as a "popular figure at the club".

This also seems to make clear that Hitchen is one of Gold's sources.

God am I sick of people who are terrible being described as a "popular figure at the club".

I'd start by observing that Ally Gold's source for much of this story appears to be a non-attributable briefing by Hitchen,
Or in the jargon, "sources close to Hitchen".

Hitchen joined Spurs as Chief Scout in 2017 (after part time roles), and as I understand it now has a job title as Director of Technical Performance (whatever that means - and I have no idea what the job description is)

It appears Spurs are looking to appoint a Director of Football (we have not had anyone with that job title since Paul Mitchell left in about 2017, and Pochettino threw his toys out of the pram when Spurs tried to appoint a successor). Possibly no surprise Hitchen arrived with a Chief scout job title and not as DoF

I had expected Spurs to appont a DoF with Mourhino as Head Coach but that never happened, but no suprise one is being looked for now.

If anyone wants to look at the incming players from 2015 to 2019, thee are a few shining lights in :
- Dele (recommended by Pleat),
- Son (agent wanted new club after Leveurkeusen refused to alllow Son the opportunity to compete in Asian Games for South Korea - winner gets exemption from 2 years military service. Spurs said yes .... and with Son as captain South Korea won Asian Games ..... and a very happy Son now)
- Alderweireld (Vertonghen's long time team mate made available by Atletico Madrid)

But for the most part player recruitment has been very poor with few successes - and even Ndombele's first 2 years seem to show a technically good player but low productivity despite a hefty price - despite Spurs spending several hundred million pounds on players over this period. Tottenham Hotspur All-Time Player Transfer History Records | My Football Facts

So no surprise an experienced DoF is being sought, which may or maynot reduce down the size of Hitchen's remit.

Hitchen joined Spurs as Chief Scout in 2017 (after part time roles), and as I understand it now has a job title as Director of Technical Performance (whatever that means - and I have no idea what the job description is)

I know, it's such an absurd title. A club that's dumber than its competition putting on airs of being smarter than its competition.

It appears Spurs are looking to appoint a Director of Football (we have not had anyone with that job title since Paul Mitchell left in about 2017, and Pochettino threw his toys out of the pram when Spurs tried to appoint a successor). Possibly no surprise Hitchen arrived with a Chief scout job title and not as DoF
Paul Mitchell was titled as Director of Football? That wasn't my recollection.

A brief googling suggests:

David Pleat - Director of Football (a title assigned pre-ENIC)
Frank Arnesen - Technical Director
Damien Comolli - Sporting Director
Franco Baldini - Technical Director
Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment
Steve Hitchen - Chief Scout, then Director of Technical Performance
Fabio Paratici - Sporting Director

I know, it's such an absurd title. A club that's dumber than its competition putting on airs of being smarter than its competition.

Paul Mitchell was titled as Director of Football? That wasn't my recollection.

A brief googling suggests:

David Pleat - Director of Football (a title assigned pre-ENIC)
Frank Arnesen - Technical Director
Damien Comolli - Sporting Director
Franco Baldini - Technical Director
Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment
Steve Hitchen - Chief Scout, then Director of Technical Performance
Fabio Paratici - Sporting Director

Thanks.

I stand corrected. But at least job title is very precise in that he was in charge of recruitment.

By the way, I found a job description for Hitchen, which I hadn't previously seen

Technical Performance Director​

A former professional footballer at Blackburn Rovers, Macclesfield and Bangor City, Steve Hitchen joined our scouting team as European scout in 2005 before taking scouting roles at Liverpool, Queens Park Rangers and Derby County. He re-joined the Club as Chief Scout in February, 2017. As Technical Performance Director, Steve has responsibility for scouting, performance, recruitment analysis and youth recruitment.

By the way, I found a job description for Hitchen, which I hadn't previously seen

Technical Performance Director​

A former professional footballer at Blackburn Rovers, Macclesfield and Bangor City, Steve Hitchen joined our scouting team as European scout in 2005 before taking scouting roles at Liverpool, Queens Park Rangers and Derby County. He re-joined the Club as Chief Scout in February, 2017. As Technical Performance Director, Steve has responsibility for scouting, performance, recruitment analysis and youth recruitment.
Levy doesn't have a great track record with Job Descriptions....

:levystare:

Seeing him in the documentary act like Carlo Gambino, made a massive negative occur in the back of my head. No wonder we missed out on the likes of Dybala etc imagine being a top footballer and meeting Hitchen.... you'll probably question your state of sanity afterwards.

Last edited:
I want to give Hitchen a break - if what Ally Gold has reported is true then he wrote a managerial shortlist that fit our profile only for Levy to simultaneously appoint a DoF over his head (allegedly didn't know it was going to happen) and suddenly and in embarrassing fashion pursue Conte who absolutely didn't fit that list of targets.

Then Levy turns around and acts shocked that Conte was apparently completely wrong for the job.

In my opinion Levy must be thrilled that Spurs fans online meme the "I hate it" line taken out of context from the documentary and that Hitchen has become the target of ire. I guarantee everything that has gone tits up is down to Levy, not him.

I want to give Hitchen a break - if what Ally Gold has reported is true then he wrote a managerial shortlist that fit our profile only for Levy to simultaneously appoint a DoF over his head (allegedly didn't know it was going to happen) and suddenly and in embarrassing fashion pursue Conte who absolutely didn't fit that list of targets.

Then Levy turns around and acts shocked that Conte was apparently completely wrong for the job.

In my opinion Levy must be thrilled that Spurs fans online meme the "I hate it" line taken out of context from the documentary and that Hitchen has become the target of ire. I guarantee everything that has gone tits up is down to Levy, not him.
Hitchen redemption arc?

Without getting all philosophical & using posh words like ontology, it all depends on what truth is.

More simply, Ally Gold has just published The Truth According To Hitchen.

As opposed to The Truth According To Levy.

Or The Truth According To The Fighting Cock.

I'm perfectly content with Gold giving us Hitchen's perspective. And it will be one element feeding into my own judgement of WTAF is going on....

Back
Top Bottom