Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
I would be much more happy with Potter, because he hasn't failed at a club similar to ours like Fonseca and has experience in PL football. I don't think the latter is vital but if you are looking at two similar guys I would take the guy with PL experience.

I was expecting to be let down but didn't think it would be this big of a let down. My issue isn't just that it wasn't Nagelsmann, Poch, ETH or Conte, but that there is a big gap, and many available managers between them and Fonseca.

There are zero positives to latch on to with this guy and at least with Potter, as much as people laugh at it, we could spin that the xG would translate to us, it is something positive to latch onto.
I like Potter btw and would have happily had him here, but the reaction would have been worse than this, which is lessened somewhat by people not knowing who Fonseca is.

I can't think of many managers I would like here and who would come to be honest.

I like Potter btw and would have happily had him here, but the reaction would have been worse than this, which is lessened somewhat by people not knowing who Fonseca is.

I can't think of many managers I would like here and who would come to be honest.

I think the reaction would have been different not worse, because with Potter there would have been a group that was happy it was him. Fonseca really has nobody happy, a few weirdos, and a minority of people trying to make the best of it. I think if people were honest and not just hoping for the best you are likely looking at a 90/10 split of unhappy vs happy. With Potter the outrage would be louder from his haters but I think the split is more likely a 60/40 maybe 70/30 at most.

If it’s true that the likes of winks and sissoko are hopefully fucking off along with Dier then I’m excited for the new season regardless of the manager , part of my annoyance was I was thinking the new yes man is only coming as he will keep playing the shite , but if rumours are to be believed this is not the case! Not going to lie I’m a bit disappointed we aren’t getting in Conte but I will get behind the manager regardless*

* I reserve the right to melt if we aren’t top of the league after 3 games

xG also rated Fonseca’s Roma as better than the results indicated.

I predict everyone will have fallen in love with this guy by October. We’ll stylishly batter a couple of bad teams early and be superficially in good shape in the table.

Then I predict it will end in tears anyway.

I thought his xG was 7th and they finished 7th, but I can't say I looked into it. With Fonseca you don't hear a lot of reports that he created a lot of chances for his team but they failed to capitalize on those chances like you do with Potter. That is why I think you could argue that Potter coming to us could result in better results with him having better players. With Fonseca it seems his team scored as much as people thought they should and got the results they deserved. Not really any upside in his style coming from Roma to Spurs.

What absolute pile of shit.

Levy is not invested in this club emotionally at all. If he was he would not make close to the decisions that he does. Even his most ardent of defenders basically have to boil it down to him not being too bad rather than actually point out positives he has done, especially recently.

As to what do we expect, I would say at a minimum having competent people in footballing positions. They is no justification to have him and Hitchen being the de facto DOF for the last number of years. Nothing has made him have to be involved in football decisions like he has.

We don't need a celebratory Spurs fan to take ownership, hell a business that hates Spurs would have done a better job because they would realize the best way to make money at this club is to not have themselves involved in football decisions. If all we get with a new owner is someone who don't think they are footballing genius but are equally cold and business like that is a massive upgrade.

I know people always cry about us not having a Roman or Oil shiek as owner, but neither do many other properly run clubs. Why can't we be like Liverpool? They are business like, they are in it to make money, they don't pour in personal finances to fund the club. But they let football guys make football decisions. If Klopp leaves there is zero chance they are hiring Paulo fucking Fonseca to take over. They aren't worried about trying to get an extra 3m taken off deals for VVD, Alisson, Jota. They aren't waiting until the last minute to try and force RB to take a shit offer for Konate. Leicester similarly have much less resources than us but they have an owner that is emotionally invested in the club, cares about the fans and lets football guys make the decisions. Even fucking Woolwich as shit as they have been at least are shit because they make bad football decisions, but it is football guys making them not Stan fucking Kroenke thinking he knows best.
What an awful opening to what could be a well thought out post. I won't know if it is as that horribly aggressive attitude and manner you use when you disagree, put me right off.
And yesterday you said you weren't like that.
No doubt this response will be met with a tirade or a passive aggressive reply as is your usual.
You know other people often have different points of view right?

I think the reaction would have been different not worse, because with Potter there would have been a group that was happy it was him. Fonseca really has nobody happy, a few weirdos, and a minority of people trying to make the best of it. I think if people were honest and not just hoping for the best you are likely looking at a 90/10 split of unhappy vs happy. With Potter the outrage would be louder from his haters but I think the split is more likely a 60/40 maybe 70/30 at most.
I think people see potter and Brighton playing good football and wonder what potter could do with better players , not going to lie I haven’t watched Brighton much but after being linked with Conte anyone feels like a bit of a letdown! But if the new director of football and *coach come in and have a clear out we need and allow players like skipp and sess to prove themselves while playing attractive football I will be happy!

I don't really care about "my name on this forum" and sorry if the truth is looked at as antagonistic.

There has been way too much pathetic Levy-apologizing going on lately and I don't see any need for it to be treated with kid gloves, it needs to be called out for the complete and utter bullshit that it is.
The truth ISNT antagonistic...it's tour way of replying and the aggression. Just clarifying!

I think as Igula Igula said his haters would have been louder but overall a lot more fans would have liked his appointment. I have watched Brighton a lot this season, apart from a few games like their last one against Woolwich they have impressed me greatly, above all the style of football is excellent and the look solid in both attack and defence with very average players mostly.

I don’t care for Potters boring name, face or haircut but I’d take his style of football. Fonseca seems to have had by contrast a more mixed time, crap in Portugal, good in Ukraine, average in Italy. It comes across as a appointment to save money and hope for the best.

I would be much more happy with Potter, because he hasn't failed at a club similar to ours like Fonseca and has experience in PL football. I don't think the latter is vital but if you are looking at two similar guys I would take the guy with PL experience.

I was expecting to be let down but didn't think it would be this big of a let down. My issue isn't just that it wasn't Nagelsmann, Poch, ETH or Conte, but that there is a big gap, and many available managers between them and Fonseca.

There are zero positives to latch on to with this guy and at least with Potter, as much as people laugh at it, we could spin that the xG would translate to us, it is something positive to latch onto.

Sorry mate...You should really know what you are talking about...

Roma last season by Jan21 were the best chance creators in all of top5 leagues on npxG (non-penalty xG).

Someone here posted below chart to illustrate how good Roma are chance creation wise in 20/21.

And the fact that Zaniolo , their star creative player, did not play 1 minute the whole of 20/21...just makes this even better.

By end of the season, Roma were 11th best in Europe xG wise.The only reason, they ended up 7th was post Feb21, they had an injury crisis.

E3eS1MRXEAY8M4I

Last edited:

Maybe give the guy a chance? You're a spurs fan right?

I thought his xG was 7th and they finished 7th, but I can't say I looked into it. With Fonseca you don't hear a lot of reports that he created a lot of chances for his team but they failed to capitalize on those chances like you do with Potter. That is why I think you could argue that Potter coming to us could result in better results with him having better players. With Fonseca it seems his team scored as much as people thought they should and got the results they deserved. Not really any upside in his style coming from Roma to Spurs.
Where did that graph go? That said Roma had created the most chances in Europe as of like February?

Roma was actually doing quite well until they kinda fell apart late in the season.

It would take a miracle to succeed at Spurs in the current moment. Conte is a miracle-level manager, it doesn’t seem like Fonseca is. But he seems a perfectly credible coach who would obviously have found another good job somewhere. It’s just that we both ought to and needed to be aiming higher to achieve anything.

Sorry mate...You should really know what you are talking about...

Roma last season by Jan21 were the best chance creators in all of top5 leagues on npxG (non-penalty xG).

I dont know, someone here posted below chart to illustrate how good Roma are chance creation wise in 20/21.

And thee fact that Zaniolo , their star creative player, did not play 1 minute the whole of 20/21...just makes this even better.

By end of the season, Roma were 11th best in Europe xG wise.The only reason, they ended up 7th was post Feb21, they had an injury crisis.

Who gives a fuck where they were on January 21, this is the kind of BS that Jose fanbois use to try and justify his shit results by cherry picking dates to choose when look at so it makes them look good.

Is that chart xG or something else? As I said I read somewhere that for xG they finished where they should have in the league. It may have been a combination of xG and whatever the similar stat is for expected goals against though.

And as always it wasn't like last year was his first bad year, but I am sure there are excuses for those bad years as well. I prefer to have a manager that gets results doesn't need to have his poor results tried to be explained away by crying about injuries.

Where did that graph go? That said Roma had created the most chances in Europe as of like February?

Roma was actually doing quite well until they kinda fell apart late in the season.

It would take a miracle to succeed at Spurs in the current moment. Conte is a miracle-level manager, it doesn’t seem like Fonseca is. But he seems a perfectly credible coach who would obviously have found another good job somewhere. It’s just that we both ought to and needed to be aiming higher to achieve anything.

I have yet to see anything in his past to suggest he is a credible manager and certainly nothing to indicate that he would get another job in Europe that is remotely close to the level that we are at.

Do you honestly think that if Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool or even Leicester fired their managers they would be looking to bring this guy in?

Yes I am a Spurs fan does that mean I have to ignore reality and just fan boi a manager because we signed him?

What a stupid way to act.
No not at all. But why throw your toys out of the pram when he hasn't even signed.
It appears we are stuck with him so why not see how first 10 games go then make a judgement on that performance?

Also, what a predictably aggressive, childish response. Personal attacks because I suggested we should give the new guy a chance. Standard

Back
Top Bottom