England vs Croatia

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First of all congratulations to England on the three points, you got the result.
At the same time though, I honestly thought England that has the best attack in the tournament would have won by at least a three goal margin. I thought they would get a two goal advantage and then would run away with it from there. Perhaps they would have in not for being denied by the woodwork.

Scotland will will be shaking atm.

Phillips was quite advanced 1st half (25mins), we didn't play a double pivot, left Rice on his own in DM.

I liked it, typified by the goal he set up, he was my MoTM

I think it was a 4231 without and a kind of 4141 with?

I like Phillips but I think his performance is getting a little over hyped a bit personally. I thought he was decent overall, did really well for the goal, but needed to show and get on the ball a little more often - baring in mind Rice is in their next to him and doesn't offer much in a footballing sense.

This was a game against a decent but not outstanding Croatia, it was solid enough without the ball, but there still wasn't much creativity or incision from that midfield when England had the ball, they didn't get the ball to the attacking players quickly/often enough, and imagine when they start playing stronger teams or teams that just sit in. Croatia were perfect in as much as they were neither.

This England team is a lot more likeable than any I can remember in terms of it's youthfulness and good intentions, just not sure it's arse will always cash the cheques it's intentions write, especially with Southgate in charge.

Good performance by England, got to say Kalvin Philips really impressed me playing further forward. Given Southgate stick but he got that right.
He is very good player with high football iq imo. He has really benefited from playing under Bielsa and feel he is the kind of midfielder we need and can reasonably acquire. Pairing him alongside PEH would improve our ball retention and control of the game.

But some fans think that Skipp is at the same level if not better - smh

First of all congratulations to England on the three points, you got the result.
At the same time though, I honestly thought England that has the best attack in the tournament would have won by at least a three goal margin. I thought they would get a two goal advantage and then would run away with it from there. Perhaps they would have in not for being denied by the woodwork.

Scotland will will be shaking atm.

Not many teams beat Croatia by a three goal margin in tournament football, and for all of England's attacking talent, with how Southgate plays half of it will always be on the bench anyway.

I think it was a 4231 without and a kind of 4141 with?

I like Phillips but I think his performance is getting a little over hyped a bit personally. I thought he was decent overall, did really well for the goal, but needed to show and get on the ball a little more often - baring in mind Rice is in their next to him and doesn't offer much in a footballing sense.

This was a game against a decent but not outstanding Croatia, it was solid enough without the ball, but there still wasn't much creativity or incision from that midfield when England had the ball, they didn't get the ball to the attacking players quickly/often enough, and imagine when they start playing stronger teams or teams that just sit in. Croatia were perfect in as much as they were neither.

This England team is a lot more likeable than any I can remember in terms of it's youthfulness and good intentions, just not sure it's arse will always cash the cheques it's intentions write, especially with Southgate in charge.
He wasn't next to him though, it was for all intense and purpose a 4-3-3

Sterling Kane Foden
Mount Rice Philips

Phillips was free to go forward, thought this was the key to the entire game, he was very dynamic.

Sterling continues to make clever well-timed runs for England. Just needs to stop overthinking things on the ball. Iโ€™d be surprised if heโ€™s not starting going forward.

He is very good player with high football iq imo. He has really benefited from playing under Bielsa and feel he is the kind of midfielder we need and can reasonably acquire. Pairing him alongside PEH would improve our ball retention and control of the game.

Wait. Jose isn't here any more so...?

Sterling continues to make clever well-timed runs for England. Just needs to stop overthinking things on the ball. Iโ€™d be surprised if heโ€™s not starting going forward.
I think he's actually quite average technically, however his pace/acceleration always makes him a danger that defences will be worried about.

Maybe it's his ploy to stop City buying him
GIF by Identity

KP is very, very good.

Would be a really nice 6/8 axis with PEH.

Who was very good last night btw. Flunked the penno, but was man enough to take it when 3 strikers refused.

Back
Top Bottom