Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ledly king was a Rolls Royce of a defender. Just watching these pretenders makes me appreciate the quality he had

as a coach …. Not seeing that translate
Keep telling folk...he is NOT a coach world class player 100% Spurs. Didn't even complete his badges because he was smart enough know its not him. He was Levy's sop to make that Chelsea tool more acceptable. God could we do with him as a player now mind.

The fact that a few players are in similar situations makes me think it's more about coaching than the players. I still think Dier, Winks, Sanchez, Dele and Davies need to be sold but it's strange how they all were good and looked promising at one point but now look like total crap.
I just think our recruitment has been bad.
I don't think Dier or Winks have gone backwards, I just think as our squad has got weaker they've been exposed more. A poor player can operate ok in a very strong team, but once that team starts having troubles the poor players really become the weakest links.

Edit; Dele is the only one of those that was good and now isn't.
Part of me thinks it could be turned around.

I'm hoping we can sell Dier to Portugal or Spain. He seems like someone who enjoys those cultures and has a lot going on outside of the sport so I could even see him retiring soon.

He was good for us for a few years but just like Sissoko, he's now very average. And average is below our standards.
We need to be realistic on the price if so. He’s probably
In six figures per week and not foreign clubs will match that

I just think our recruitment has been bad.
I don't think Dier or Winks have gone backwards, I just think as our squad has got weaker they've been exposed more. A poor player can operate ok in a very strong team, but once that team starts having troubles the poor players really become the weakest links.

Edit; Dele is the only one of those that was good and now isn't.
Part of me thinks it could be turned around.
spot on imo. you can get away with the odd shitter if hes got quality players all around him, put shit next to shit and then you see them for what they are.

The fact that a few players are in similar situations makes me think it's more about coaching than the players. I still think Dier, Winks, Sanchez, Dele and Davies need to be sold but it's strange how they all were good and looked promising at one point but now look like total crap.

A fully functioning system will make anyone look better..... Look at the the Dippers..... Henderson looks half the player when he's not in a fully firing Klopp machine.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you. I'm not trying to big him up, just stating that he was very promising a few years back but it seems he really doesn't want to improve. Where I do disagree is that I think footballers can be improved significantly in things like decision making.

He's been overtaken at international level and it'll happen at Spurs too.
technique, finishing etc etc can be worked on and improved. but decision making and the ability to think fast is surely uncoachable. an idiot is an idiot, dier is not going to have the same football intelligence and sharpness as a luka modric no matter what you do to him.

technique, finishing etc etc can be worked on and improved. but decision making and the ability to think fast is surely uncoachable. an idiot is an idiot, dier is not going to have the same football intelligence and sharpness as a luka modric no matter what you do to him.
I think you can sit someone down and say 'next time you are in that position you need to pass it *there* instead of *here*'. That is absolutely teachable.

He clearly isn't an idiot but I question how much he works on his game.

I think you can sit someone down and say 'next time you are in that position you need to pass it *there* instead of *here*'. That is absolutely teachable.

He clearly isn't an idiot but I question how much he works on his game.
hes an idiot in relation to the best footballers in the world. we have a squad full of them, its not only on a technical level they are behind but some of them are half a second slower in the head too.

donkey dier lets balls run across the box ffs, thats some next level stupidity for a defender. to be doing that at whatever age he is says it all, thats something youd expect a 9 year old to do once and then never see them do it again.

hes an idiot in relation to the best footballers in the world. we have a squad full of them, its not only on a technical level they are behind but some of them are half a second slower in the head too.

donkey dier lets balls run across the box ffs, thats some next level stupidity for a defender. to be doing that at whatever age he is says it all, thats something youd expect a 9 year old to do once and then never see them do it again.
As a CB your main instinct should be to get to danger and kick/head it away. The way Dier just watches things unfold shows he doesnt understand the basics .... loose ball in your own box = bad. Dont think you can teach him basics like that anymore at this age. He can work on it and become a passable lowerleague defender but nowhere near where we'd need a CB to be.

Remember how Dawson looked international class with King next to him and played many times for England. Out of his depth when King absent. Dier could look a whole lot better with the right partner.

Either you have a football brain or you don't. You can't coach it. His decision making and reactions are embarrassing. If he was 17 he could iron some out with experience. But he's more like 27 and only getting worse now.

Doesn't only apply to Dier, quite a few are the same and need moving on, not persisting with.
I think his brain might actually be a football.

Remember how Dawson looked international class with King next to him and played many times for England. Out of his depth when King absent. Dier could look a whole lot better with the right partner.
Whilst I agree with that, and we have clear examples with Dias and Van Dijk improving the defenders around them 10-fold, I don’t think it’s the way to go. Firstly I don’t expect us to sign a world class centreback who can raise the performances of Dier/Sanchez to a reasonable level consistently. Secondly Dier (and Sanchez) are not counted as home grown, nor are they good on the ball so I don’t feel it’s worth keeping them around. Rodon, Tanganga and Toby are fine as squad players but Dier and Sanchez have had enough chances to nail down a spot.

Our problem has been using Dier as the senior CB too often.

I think the more daming thing of him as a CB is that Mourinho couldnt get a tune out of him.

Im no great fan of Mourinho or how he operates, but I think its fair to say he knows how to work with defenders and how to make them look good.

And Dier really never looked good under him at all, if not under him - then who else stands a chance?

I quite liked under Poch having Dier in midfield, slipping into defence - gave us a real dynamism in our structure that worked brilliantly at times.

But I dont see Dier as solely a CB, which apparently he does, so will be interesting to see what the new management make of that one. Could be time he moved on.

Back
Top Bottom