Gennaro Gattuso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you be happy with Gattuso as manager

• Total voters
It's strange people put any credence in football journalists when they can literally put any shit out for clicks and follows and face no backlash when their predictions don't materialise.

Day 1: Gattuso to Spurs is a done deal. Contract signed. HERE WE GO!
Day 2: Gattuso to Spurs is OFF. Talks broke down over tax irregularities.

Etc, etc, etc.

Why would Romano have the inside scoop on every club's dealings?

Take it all with a pinch of salt and accept we have no fucking clue what's going on.
If you think a hashtag changed Levy's mind last night then you are lost.

When Alasdair Gold, BBC, and The Athletic report something independently that corroborate each other, I think it's unlikely to be made up.
Meanwhile, there was a lot of nonsense from Italian journalists claiming Gattuso was a done deal yesterday which I ignored.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Fonseca talks were ended when Gattuso became available?

I think this is likely sequence of events, based on reliable journalists' reporting:

1/ Spurs in negotiations with Fonseca. Minor issues with tax and start date, but no major obstacles.
2/ Gattuso, who is Paratici's number 1 choice, becomes available as he leaves Fiorentina.
3/ Spurs pull out of negotiations with Fonseca, start negotiations with Gattuso and his agent Mendes.
4/ Spurs fan social media backlash, in particular over his offensive comments. I know for a fact that Spurs' official LGBT support group, and Supporters Trust, voiced their concerns to the Spurs board about past Gattuso statements.
5/ Spurs, wary of PR backlash after ESL debacle, pull out of talks with Gattuso.

Levy really is Mother Theresa isn’t he , worried about upsetting the FA of some foreign country and destabilising their Euro ambitions. Or has promised the manager it won’t get out until after the Euros , just Lol, Or is choosing to wait until after the Euros before approaching his number one target , knowing we are an extremely attractive proposition right now, also backing himself to then conclude a deal in rapid time. Even a bigger LOL
You're right, Levy only cares about himself and he usually wouldn't be bothered about upsetting anyone in order to get what he wants. It's just a feeling I've had since last month and I could be well wide of the mark, but I've been convinced that it's Martinez and for whatever reasons we haven't been able to confirm and announce it. We shall see.

I believe 99% of journalists have a fraction of the info people credit them with.

I also believe 99% are so desperate to not miss out (on clicks mostly) they will circulate any story they see. Yesterday was a great example, the moment Romano mentioned Gattuso suddenly they all did - this is no coincidence. Its not like they all happened across the story independently, simultaneously, is it?

And define "Talks", because to me that can be a simple conversation to get an indication of things being possible, or it can be serious contract negotiations with an intent to do a deal.

In the space of the few hours we were in "talks" with Gattuso, which do you think is more likely?

Levy has made a mess of this search, absolutely no doubt about it - but that doesnt mean Im inclined to take every click baity tweet as solid info.
The absolute clusterfuck is the fact that Spurs are bouncing from polar opposite managers. This is where we should all have our concerns, it highlights absolutely zero planning, zero forward-thinking and a muddled rudderless direction.

We can all have varying views on particular individual candidates suitability that have been linked: Ten Haag, Potter, Fonseka, even Poch stuff etc would demonstrate that Spurs know exactly the profile of manager we won't. This is good. This shows consistency in their profile whether it's too early for Poch or if Ten Haag is better than Fonseka is just a normal debate for us and those at the Club will examine. No problem here for me at all.

But it's about as clear as it possibly can be for me that since the links on Conte started, so too has the language used to report these links changed. For example, at no point has it been reported by "trusted" sources like Fabrizo Romano that we are at a contract stage of discussion prior to Conte links.

Fabrizio Romano has arguably the best contacts in the business and has made a name for himself for having the best info available, I assume the sources of his are the agent. What separates him from the clickbait is that he doesn't report or at least go balls deep on his news for clicks, his talent is to separate the agent's info as serious from manipulative. e.g. A player's agent contacts someone in the media and links him to a big club, all this does it get the profile of this player raised in the event it might have a shit club buy him. Or a player at a club is negotiating a new contract with his club and in order to facilitate this a spurious link is leaked, usually the club's bitter rivals, are making a move to sign him.

Romano's talent lies in separating agent manipulation from genuine interest. That is until you factor in fucking Mendes!!! Just look at how different the reports have been reported since the reports of Conte interest.

The reason for this, I can only speculate but consider this: Mendes creates an environment whereby he puts Spurs under duress. A Club already under serious pressure following a diabolical season under the dinosaur to PR disasters etc etc.. If he leeks to Romano that the deal is almost done, he knows this will get reported, this will test the resolve of Spurs to back out (even if there's nothing to back out of), from the moment it is announced that "its' almost done" it will be seen as such as this is the case.

Other Journalist's that have reported it will not want to have the fact they copied what was reported by Romanio, so they will always focus on the "shambles" of an appointment breaking down rather than focus on the fact that the info of it being "almost done" because it will only highlight that they were off, not Spurs.

This is pressure selling by the agents (Mendes).

Be concerned by the selection of candidates if they differ in styles, this is the shambles. Dissacotiate (which is bloody hard to do) with the specific info on a candidates negotiation with the Club.

When Alasdair Gold, BBC, and The Athletic report something independently that corroborate each other, I think it's unlikely to be made up.
Meanwhile, there was a lot of nonsense from Italian journalists claiming Gattuso was a done deal yesterday which I ignored.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Fonseca talks were ended when Gattuso became available?

I think this is likely sequence of events, based on reliable journalists' reporting:

1/ Spurs in negotiations with Fonseca. Minor issues with tax and start date, but no major obstacles.
2/ Gattuso, who is Paratici's number 1 choice, becomes available as he leaves Fiorentina.
3/ Spurs pull out of negotiations with Fonseca, start negotiations with Gattuso and his agent Mendes.
4/ Spurs fan social media backlash, in particular over his offensive comments. I know for a fact that Spurs' official LGBT support group, and Supporters Trust, voiced their concerns to the Spurs board about past Gattuso statements.
5/ Spurs, wary of PR backlash after ESL debacle, pull out of talks with Gattuso.
Unfortunately I think you are lost in the rabbit hole. Gattuso was never a serious candidate, seriously take a step back and use your logical mind

You're right, Levy only cares about himself and he usually wouldn't be bothered about upsetting anyone in order to get what he wants. It's just a feeling I've had since last month and I could be well wide of the mark, but I've been convinced that it's Martinez and for whatever reasons we haven't been able to confirm and announce it. We shall see.
I just feel Levy has hit the panic button. I used to think he was crap but cool under self inflicted pressure. I think he has cracked , the magnitude of the clubs fall has made him a headless chicken

According to Sky Sports the fan backlash culminating in the #notogattuso campaign was a major reason for Spurs curtailing negotiations about him becoming our Manager.

So this assumes that the Spurs board were completely unaware that Gattuso was a controversial figure before initiating proceedings, I find that hard to believe.

Of course those three corroborate each other - Ali Gold literally says things like: "as per David Orstein..." they are circulating information.

Once again, Orstein and Gold do not have inside info. They are fed information by the club. Inside info is having a mole within the club leaking info they don't want public.

Why would some nerd like Orstein have any clue what was said in a conversation between Paratici and Fonseca in a Milan hotel? Someone at the club feeds him info they want released.

These people are in the clicks and follow game, they are not doing serious investigative journalism ffs.

The absolute clusterfuck is the fact that Spurs are bouncing from polar opposite managers. This is where we should all have our concerns, it highlights absolutely zero planning, zero forward-thinking and a muddled rudderless direction.

We can all have varying views on particular individual candidates suitability that have been linked: Ten Haag, Potter, Fonseka, even Poch stuff etc would demonstrate that Spurs know exactly the profile of manager we won't. This is good. This shows consistency in their profile whether it's too early for Poch or if Ten Haag is better than Fonseka is just a normal debate for us and those at the Club will examine. No problem here for me at all.

But it's about as clear as it possibly can be for me that since the links on Conte started, so too has the language used to report these links changed. For example, at no point has it been reported by "trusted" sources like Fabrizo Romano that we are at a contract stage of discussion prior to Conte links.

Fabrizio Romano has arguably the best contacts in the business and has made a name for himself for having the best info available, I assume the sources of his are the agent. What separates him from the clickbait is that he doesn't report or at least go balls deep on his news for clicks, his talent is to separate the agent's info as serious from manipulative. e.g. A player's agent contacts someone in the media and links him to a big club, all this does it get the profile of this player raised in the event it might have a shit club buy him. Or a player at a club is negotiating a new contract with his club and in order to facilitate this a spurious link is leaked, usually the club's bitter rivals, are making a move to sign him.

Romano's talent lies in separating agent manipulation from genuine interest. That is until you factor in fucking Mendes!!! Just look at how different the reports have been reported since the reports of Conte interest.

The reason for this, I can only speculate but consider this: Mendes creates an environment whereby he puts Spurs under duress. A Club already under serious pressure following a diabolical season under the dinosaur to PR disasters etc etc.. If he leeks to Romano that the deal is almost done, he knows this will get reported, this will test the resolve of Spurs to back out (even if there's nothing to back out of), from the moment it is announced that "its' almost done" it will be seen as such as this is the case.

Other Journalist's that have reported it will not want to have the fact they copied what was reported by Romanio, so they will always focus on the "shambles" of an appointment breaking down rather than focus on the fact that the info of it being "almost done" because it will only highlight that they were off, not Spurs.

This is pressure selling by the agents (Mendes).

Be concerned by the selection of candidates if they differ in styles, this is the shambles. Dissacotiate (which is bloody hard to do) with the specific info on a candidates negotiation with the Club.

We are opportunists, that is brand Levy. The journalist rumour is Ten Hag was Hitchens main target and Levy changed soon as Poch and Conte became available. Our managers, our players our style is built on short term opportunism, it will not change while we have Levy. If you don’t want another Jose then Levy needs to go.

We have shown we have a long term infrastructure vision, we have never shown a long term football vision. That is Levy, the club is in his image.

Unfortunately I think you are lost in the rabbit hole. Gattuso was never a serious candidate, seriously take a step back and use your logical mind
Yes, he was.

The idea he wasn't is far fetched.
Why did we stop talks with Fonseca the day after he became available. Did BBC make it up? Did Fabrizio Romano make it up? Did Alasdair Gold make it up? Did The Athletic make it up? They all independently reported it.

I think he was Paratici's first choice. But after the fan backlash over his offensive comments, Spurs officials stepped in and ended things.

Belgiums-head-coach-Roberto-Martinez-winking-at-the-press-during-a-Euro-2020-Qualifying-game-1536x762.jpg
He even looks like Levy !!
I know Levy was dabbling with clones back in 2011 with Kenny McEvoy but now he’s trying to get himself in as actual manager

So this assumes that the Spurs board were completely unaware that Gattuso was a controversial figure before initiating proceedings, I find that hard to believe.
His comments went viral on social media and there was a fan backlash. This gave them second thoughts. No one serious is claiming it was ever a done deal.

Of course those three corroborate each other - Ali Gold literally says things like: "as per David Orstein..." they are circulating information.
You have to be able to differentiate between when Ali Gold says 'as per David Ornstein' and when he's reporting something from his own sources.
Yesterday Ali Gold independently reported that we were in talks with Gattuso, he didn't say 'as per David Ornstein'.

These people are in the clicks and follow game, they are not doing serious investigative journalism ffs.
Alasdair Gold, The Athletic, and the BBC have a superb track record in terms of accuracy.
I never trusted the weird Italian journalists who were claiming that the contract was signed and Gattuso was done.

Yes, he was.

The idea he wasn't is far fetched.
Why did we stop talks with Fonseca the day after he became available. Did BBC make it up? Did Fabrizio Romano make it up? Did Alasdair Gold make it up? Did The Athletic make it up? They all independently reported it.

I think he was Paratici's first choice. But after the fan backlash over his offensive comments, Spurs officials stepped in and ended things.
You don't know he was Paratici's first choice, noone does, and let's say he was it doesn't matter because Levy has final say on everything and Levy would never entertain hiring Gattuso, it was a non starter

Before Gattuso people were saying Fonseca was Paratici's first choice, it's all made up claptrap

You don't know he was Paratici's first choice, noone does, and let's say he was it doesn't matter because Levy has final say on everything and Levy would never entertain hiring Gattuso, it was a non starter

Before Gattuso people were saying Fonseca was Paratici's first choice, it's all made up claptrap
It's not 'all made up claptrap'.
Paratici saw Gattuso as a better choice than Fonseca. As Gattuso became available, the Fonseca talks were ended.

But now the fan backlash has meant that Gattuso is off the table, so we're back to square 1.
Your conspiracy theory involving lots of journalists making up the same lie is incredibly unlikely.

We are opportunists, that is brand Levy. The journalist rumour is Ten Hag was Hitchens main target and Levy changed soon as Poch and Conte became available. Our managers, our players our style is built on short term opportunism, it will not change while we have Levy. If you don’t want another Jose then Levy needs to go.

We have shown we have a long term infrastructure vision, we have never shown a long term football vision. That is Levy, the club is in his image.
I think opportunities present themselves constantly and shouldn't be ignored e.g. Raffa VdV deal but Clubs that demonstrate the biggest impact on their performance are clubs with a clear mapped out process of player/manager profiling that matches the identity that they build (Southampton under Cortse, Brentford, Swansea cira 2008, RB Leipzig, Ajax, Man City etc etc...).

I actually understand the reason why we looked (possibly this is all we did) at Conte, most defiantly a major deviation from the identity we want to build but he is a World Class coach and we would have been idiots not to explore this option. I wasn't bothered that this came to anything because he was absolutely not the fit.

The second there is a deviation from this vision the knock-on effects can be serious, it might not be noticeable at first, but the best example I can use to illustrate is Barca. They lost sight of the identity, focus on player acquisitions rather than keeping the conveyor belt of academy production.

Us fans right now must also take a step back and figure out whether the appointment of our DoF (who actually doesn't start until 1 July!!) is us starting to get back on track with focussing on our identity again. I have no idea if he's good. I actually had no idea whether Gatusso's football was in line with the identity specified, IMO this is where "we" need to be most vigilant but right now Spurs fans are being played by the agents like performing seals.

We might have turned a corner with Paratici regarding identity, we might have hired the wrong man to execute this???? If we bounce from varying styles of managers then we should be panicking and it's highly likely Paratici isn't the guy we should be banking on to deliver.

But he hasn't even officially started yet, there is massive manipulation at work from agents and the media which has us fans bouncing around like marbles in a tumble dryer. We need to chill a bit and be vigilant on the styles of coaches linked to determine if we are in the shit or not.

Back
Top Bottom