England Vs Scotland - Friday 18th June, 8pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, I don't and I don't know anyone who does. And don't bother with your sunshine nonsense either. If you think it's an acceptable term then you crack on, I'm not going to stop you.
I apologise, a few too many beverages. I like the Scottish and support your right to self determination.

I hope you go through for a rematch later on in the tournament.

If Southgate doesn't set us up as more attacking then we can kiss this tournament goodbye. We're allowed one shite performance if he learns, but my suspicions are he won't. Tactically incompetant, negative, no desire to win. And listen to the touchy feely bollocks afterwards where he asks for the focus on him rather than the players. Well we are Gareth, and it's getting boring having the players but a manager that can't even pick the right team which goes all the way to the Lamps/Gerrard era.

Grow some balls Gareth.

England not playing as a team and that’s down to Southgate not using recent game to play an established team formation so the players can get to know each other. Instead he gave City and Chelscum players the time off. Bringing Grealish in now will just compound the problem as he is another individual. Sack

It was disappointing to start with 2 defensive midfielders. Even more so that he didn't change it when it clearly wasn't working.

No-one can say England have failed in international tournaments by not playing enough technically limited / defensive midfielders. The opposite is true, but we keep making the same mistakes.

Look at every decent side in the competition and they have technical players in central mid who can keep and progress the ball. I'd like to see only one of Rice/Phillips paired with Mount and Foden playing behind Grealish Kane Sterling.

Just watching the highlights , if you can call them that being English, but that scrappy chance at the end , I’m 100% certain if Kane is still on the pitch he scores that!

I'd be a neutral more or less in that match yday and my god England fans get a grip never heard anything like it.

Scotland obviously played out of their skin yday and probably won't play anywhere as good for the tournament.

Foden and Kane were awful yday but that's about it for me. It had nothing to do with Southgates tactics, they started very quick, to me it seemed a slightly immature performance. They allowed it to become the emotional Derby it was.

Fans crying all over the place and the media about England were awful, maybe I've watched spurs too much this year but fuck me. Another day they would've had 3 goals just one of those games.

To me the last 2 England games theyve looked more a team than I think I've ever seen at a finals since the 1998 team. They're creating chances, they're playing a particular way so have an identity, they also will probably qualify for the next round.

Belgium, France, Italy, England seem to be the top teams in the competition based on performances. Holland and Spain will always be dangerous aswell. There's no clear frontrunner for me so if you're crying over England's performances get a grip.

Scotland well done yday they played above their usual standard to match England. If they were able to play like that all tournament they probably would've done alright but I think they will probably lose to croatia and England will beat Czech.

I'd be a neutral more or less in that match yday and my god England fans get a grip never heard anything like it.

Scotland obviously played out of their skin yday and probably won't play anywhere as good for the tournament.

Foden and Kane were awful yday but that's about it for me. It had nothing to do with Southgates tactics, they started very quick, to me it seemed a slightly immature performance. They allowed it to become the emotional Derby it was.

Fans crying all over the place and the media about England were awful, maybe I've watched spurs too much this year but fuck me. Another day they would've had 3 goals just one of those games.

To me the last 2 England games theyve looked more a team than I think I've ever seen at a finals since the 1998 team. They're creating chances, they're playing a particular way so have an identity, they also will probably qualify for the next round.

Belgium, France, Italy, England seem to be the top teams in the competition based on performances. Holland and Spain will always be dangerous aswell. There's no clear frontrunner for me so if you're crying over England's performances get a grip.

Scotland well done yday they played above their usual standard to match England. If they were able to play like that all tournament they probably would've done alright but I think they will probably lose to croatia and England will beat Czech.

Foden was our best attacking player for crying out loud. There's hopefully much more to come from him but he was far from awful. Once he went off we barely created a thing or looked like we would do anything.

It was disappointing to start with 2 defensive midfielders. Even more so that he didn't change it when it clearly wasn't working.

No-one can say England have failed in international tournaments by not playing enough technically limited / defensive midfielders. The opposite is true, but we keep making the same mistakes.

Look at every decent side in the competition and they have technical players in central mid who can keep and progress the ball. I'd like to see only one of Rice/Phillips paired with Mount and Foden playing behind Grealish Kane Sterling.

Playing two midfielders like Rice and Phillips is fine in certain games if that means you're playing your full-backs almost like wingers at times, but James and Shaw didn't get forward anything like enough. Playing those two in midfield also leaves an awful lot of pressure and responsibility on Mason Mount to create, but he's not a playmaker.

Southgate is just getting so many things wrong because he treats games against sides like Scotland as if we were playing Portugal. He seems obsessed in keeping clean-sheets. With the players we have, we shouldn't worry about conceding the odd goal as the attack should be causing sides all sorts of problems. He's getting next to nothing from, on paper, one of the most stacked attacks in the tournament. That takes some doing. Helmet.

Playing two midfielders like Rice and Phillips is fine in certain games if that means you're playing your full-backs almost like wingers at times, but James and Shaw didn't get forward anything like enough.
That's also true, and we are equipped to play that way with the full backs we have. Hold the centre and attack from the flanks. Not necessarily how I want us to play, but we have the players for it. Was surprising how subdued James and Shaw were.

Foden was our best attacking player for crying out loud. There's hopefully much more to come from him but he was far from awful. Once he went off we barely created a thing or looked like we would do anything.
I really disagree here. Foden all season has been nothing but exceptional. Yday he was well below par.

Kane I've seen it before he goes missing in big games way to often. It's why I've always said nobody has bought him yet I love Kane to bits and he's everything we needed at spurs for so many years but at the very highest level when the games matter most he hasn't delivered throughout his career. I'd love to see a stat on the amount of match winners Kane has got for us and the teams he's done it against. Always felt like Son, Alli, Eriksen, Lucas were the match winners in the big games throughout the years.

The defence yday played well, midfield decent. Mount is a very good player and the lack of creativity seemed to be more down to him than Foden going off. Foden was lively but just lacked on the ball yday. Sterling did OK but at times takes too much sting out the build up.

It was a game of attackers not doing their bit for me yday the rest of England played well for me.

Back
Top Bottom